Running Log - atkinsonar's GSR - Page 17 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 214Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #225 of 464 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to atkinsonar Send a message via Yahoo to atkinsonar
Not really a major update, but figured is worth noting. I finally (key word, finally), got my brake situation 100% squared away. Lets recap the events of the last few months...

In one shot, tried to replace "everything", did front/rear calipers ("big brake" upgrade), pads / rotors, flex lines (updated with stainless), master cylinder, booster, ...

Initial booster was bad out of the box (had a bad vacuum seal), hard to tell until its mounted and you apply a vacuum.

Went through quite a few iterations of bleeding the brakes, to "eventually" find out that the rear calipers, had an ever-so-slow leak out of the bleeder valves. Not sure if this was a screw up on my behalf, or defect, or something else. I replaced both valves with Speedbleeders, and seems to have solved the leak problem.

I ended up having to "adjust" the ebrake tension "adjuster" (not sure what proper word is for it)... the threaded sleeve bolt at the back of the ebrake assembly. I replaced this with two fender washers and a nylon locknut, which gave me roughly an additional 1/2" of slack in the ebrake cable, to alleviate the extra tension from mounting the new calipers.

Once all the above was "solved", it now exposed how off the push rod adjustment on the booster was. I spent the better part of 3-4 hours yesterday making this adjustment from inside the car. Certainly not at all easy, but it can be done, with the right set of wrenches "ground down" (list below), and locking pliers...
  • 17mm wrench, open end shaved with a grinder, to make it "thinner". Use this to hold the "nut" on the back of the booster.
  • 14mm 12-pt box wrench, shaved with a grinder, to make it "thinner", and also notched wide enough to get over the push rod. Use this to lock/unlock the jam nut.
  • I then used needle nosed locking pliers to adjust the push rod itself.
I stole some of the ideas and steps from here...
PART 7 - Adjusting the Master Cylinder pushrod

Before, I had way too much play before the brakes engaged, and never really got that "hard / firm" brake pedal feel. Took a few iterations of adjustments, before I found the sweet spot of "firm pedal" to "too firm, and vacuum eventually locks up the brakes". Glad to say the brakes are now friggin awesome (as they should be, I certainly spent enough of them).

This thread will likely go dormant now for a few months. My bike is needing new tires and brakes. Once that's done, I'll start picking up the slack on getting my motor ready, and begin the preparations for heading to the Dragon this year. Otherwise, I'll continue to beat the crap out of this original motor with more than 260k on the clock (just keep feeding her oil)
MorningZ and dpaton like this.

13 Ford Explorer (Wifes)
02 HD V-Rod (latest toy)
95 Acura Integra GSR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #226 of 464 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Good info to know!

FYI, I can say from experience that speed bleeders hate track days and HPDEs. They may even weep on the Dragon.

My FS thread

95 EJ1 Milano RIP/died/sold -> 98 DB7 CSM RIP/totalled -> 97 DB7 CSM Awful. Sold it back. -> 01 DB8 YR525M RIP/totalled -> 06 Civic LX <log offsite>

Integra friends are the best friends.
post #227 of 464 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 01:45 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaton View Post
Good info to know!

FYI, I can say from experience that speed bleeders hate track days and HPDEs. They may even weep on the Dragon.
Aw shit. I just bought a set! Well thats good to know. Have t ok keep a close eye on the brcause brakes are kind of important

post #228 of 464 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

I've been passively looking for another shell that will easily accept a B series motor, to have another project, one of which my son can officially call his own. I just stumbled upon a 92 civic hatchback, with an Integra front end swap. From the few pics I've seen, looks like it was actually tastefully done, and may fit the bill perfectly... Never seen this in person before, and prior ones I've seen online just looked out of place... Something just makes this one look right for some reason. Shall update on this soon.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
dpaton likes this.
post #229 of 464 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Few small updates...

I've been slowly acquiring bits and pieces, and am inching my way closer to getting the new motor components swapped around. Its decided...
  • B20 block
  • P72 GSR head
  • Stock GSR intake manifold + Throttle Body
  • CTR cams
  • 2.5" Exhaust from header collector through muffler
  • GSR Transmission

I acquired another valve cover and intake manifold from @dpaton , both of which were cleaned up and recoated (pics below). I've also been working on cleaning and detailing out quite a few other tidbits.

I found a set of BNIB after market "stick on" vent shades locally on CL for $5, so figured why not, they seem to fit pretty dang good.

As I wander down the path of getting parts, I do have a couple of questions. I know I want to put in new valve seals. I assume OEM? Any suggestions on best place to acquire?

While I'm doing valve seals, should I consider anything else? Dual valve springs? New retainers? Suggestions on places to acquire those?

I'm sure I'll have more questions pop up in the near future.

New vent shades...

Valve Cover...

Intake Manifold...

VoodooR likes this.
post #230 of 464 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 09:57 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yay cleaning! I love when people clean!

Nice job on the cover and mani for sure.
post #231 of 464 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:22 AM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 75
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
manifold looks great !

for Valve Seals: Supertech is a widely used brand to go with (a full set costs like $13 shipped)

valve springs: look to get a set of "inner" springs for the exhaust side and you should be all good as that will complete the dual spring setup on that head
atkinsonar likes this.
post #232 of 464 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsonar View Post
I stole some of the ideas and steps from here...
PART 7 - Adjusting the Master Cylinder pushrod
Wow, that is one major league pain in the ass !!
post #233 of 464 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningZ View Post
manifold looks great !

for Valve Seals: Supertech is a widely used brand to go with (a full set costs like $13 shipped)

valve springs: look to get a set of "inner" springs for the exhaust side and you should be all good as that will complete the dual spring setup on that head
Hell, didn't think of the inner spring idea... I should be able to steal that from the other head I have here... I like cheap and easy ... Glad I posted here before acquiring more.

And to your thread on the booster adjustment... with it in the car, I couldn't find a good way to do it. It was certainly a trial by error, let it idle between each adjustment to see if brakes lock up or not. Glad to say its set, holding, and I shouldn't have to fk with it again.
post #234 of 464 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

So question on valve seals... anyone used these?

All Spec Performance VS10009

I'm looking at ordering the valve spring compressor tool and cam gear holder, and they just popped up for an extra $20. Didn't know if they were decent, or if I should get the Supertech / OEM elsewhere.

EDIT - Found the Supertech for around the same price on Amazon and other places, didn't know which order I ought to throw which set in, if one is better than the other.
post #235 of 464 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 10:24 PM

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Id go supertech or oem for the seals. I went with supertech for mine since i have supertech valvetrain.
atkinsonar likes this.
post #236 of 464 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 11:16 PM

Garage
I'd go super tech as well

btw, instead of buying those two tools, I'll lend you mine, just pay shipping both ways ($11 total), message me if interested

Last edited by MorningZ; 06-18-2015 at 08:56 AM.
post #237 of 464 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningZ View Post
I'd go super tech as well

btw, instead of buying those two tools, I'll lend you mine, just pay shipping both ways ($11 total), message me if interested

Sent a PM, appreciate the offer. Moar change for moar parts

Last edited by MorningZ; 06-18-2015 at 08:56 AM.
post #238 of 464 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Parts update... acquisition has been slow, and probably will continue to be slow until we get back from the Dragon this year. I'm looking for input of things "while I am there", and "while I have the motor out". I want to avoid doing things twice, and want to take advantage of as much as possible while I'm actively swapping motors in.

I'm on the fence with power steering, and whether or not I want to delete. I'm also on the fence whether I want to delete the ABS or not.

Have on hand already...
550 Injectors (came with swap I purchased)
Head Gasket
Intake & Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
AEM Cam Gears

Just ordered...
ARP Headstud Kit
Supertech Valve Seals
Powerbuilt Crank Pulley Removal Tool
ASP Valveseal Install Tool

Need to get...
Valve Cover Gasket Set
Throttle Body Gasket
Water Pump & Timing Belt Kit
Skunk2 LMAs
Fuel Pump
Radiator / Heater Hoses
Accessory Belts
Mishimoto Radiator (already have fan shroud on car)
Cam & Distributor seals
Oil Pan Gasket
Axle Seals
New Intake & Exhaust manifold bolts (studs seem to be ok)
New inserts for HASport mounts (came with swap, not sure of which is on them, want the least aggressive)

Separately, once I get my motor out, I'm planning on having a bit of time to swap a few things over, and get a few things cleaned up. During this time, I'm planning on sending my ECU down to Pherable to get chipped / base map tune loaded.

Is there anything else from this list I'm overlooking?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page