This Blows - JRSC build - quick update - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 238 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
This Blows - JRSC build - quick update

M, this ones for you...

This blows - my JRSC GSR build
Okay, I decided I would finally start a build log for my JRSC GSR. I've had Maria for almost 4 years now, and have been modding her since I brought her home, so I'll try to catch you guys up and stay up to date. I don't like turbos

I would like to say a little bit about myself though. I'm a mechanical engineer, I currently hold two jobs
1) Heat exchanger engineer (think intercoolers)
2) Suspension and chassis engineer (think roll bars and ball joints)

TO THE 'TEG!!
She is a 2000 Milano red GSR. Up until last summer she had the basic JRSC bolt on kit. Shame on the JRSC FMU and the VAFCII. I was young, naive, and liked to tell girls it was the rocket fuel computer...we've all been there...

The build is an intercooled, rebuilt, and recoated M62JR supercharger with all the goodies to go with.

Before I left for Ann Arbor last summer for my term as a chassis engineer, I ripped her all apart so I could take some of the pieces with me to work on her while I was away.

Summer '08

And then Fall '08

Notice the missing: supercharger, head, transmission. These are the major pieces I'm working on for this build.

The head
I took the OEM head with me to Michigan and started to disassemble it. Did you know you need a special valve spring compressor? Well, I quickly found that out. Did you know they're outrageously expensive? Well, I found that out too. I didn't feel like paying for one, so I took measurements on my head and made one.

Anyway, I took the head apart and went to a shop to have new KMS bronze silicone valve guides pressed in, and have the valve seats done.
Here you can see when I got it back. The two valves were just set in there from when the machinist was checking diameters for the valve seats.

New endyn black nitride stainless exhaust valves and new OEM ITR intake valves went in with new OEM ITR seats, springs, and retainers. Actually, They're new ITR intake valvesprings and I moved the gsr dual intakes to the exhaust side. Same deal, right?

I was going to do a little research into port design and flow mechanics, but decided it was better to just leave the ports alone than try to dremel them to oblivion...

The tranny
Another thing I took with me to MI was the transmission. I cracked the case and threw in an ITR LSD, and new carbon coated 1-5 syncros from GearSpeed. Sorry I don't have any pics of the process...

Notice the two spare transmissions I gutted for the LSD...

Fattening my traction circle
I decided to apply some of the knowledge I had learned at work and improve how Maria handled. So as she sits...
3-point front strut bar, Koni yellows, Ground controls at 350F 400R, 23mm JDM ITR rear sway, ASR brace, and blox lower control arms (a by-product of the rear LCA of course).

I'm considering going to 400F 450R in a few weeks, but I don't have much seat time with the near ITR sway. So I've decided to wait and try it out for a bit before I change too much. I had a rear x-brace that I was going to put in, and then weld the heim joints but I couldn't get the brackets to work with my 3-point harness on the c-pillar. So I'm making my own. I'll post it up when it's done.
Rolling stock went to 16x7 greyish silver slips wrapped in 205/45/16 RE01s courtesy of the TireRack sale.

Cooling off
So everyone know that superchargers have bad efficiencies. Well, I really like the drivability of the blower, but wanted more power. I looked into the LHT setup, but frankly I found it a little laughable - as did a few of my co-workers. Again, we do heat exchanger design...So I talked it over with a few of the other engineers at work and we're coming up with an improved design of the LHT system. We're cutting off the hashed areas and putting in a large plenum and cooling cores

The real improvement of the design over the LHT comes from the heat exchanger cores that will be going inside, as well as the inherent advantages of the open tanked system that I'll be using vs. their closed system. Obviously the plenum volume will increase, to make room for the cores. It's a little complicated to describe the new design, but I'll post concept pictures once the modeling is complete - these are not for sale.

Here's a compression map of the eaton M62JR blower I'm using

I plan on being around 11-12 psi, which will require about 14,500 rpms from the blower, putting me 12% below peak efficiency. However, the compressor map was developed without an SCAC (second circuit after cooler) so efficiency should be substantially higher. I won't know exactly what the efficiencies will be until I finish the heat transfer calcs and can estimate post compressor IATs.

Obligatory rotor shot...

Still to be installed...
Wiseco 81mm 9.7:1 pistons
eagle rods
Fridanza 8 lb flywheel
Exedy stage 2 clutch
ARP mains and head bolts
AEM EMS with ugeo
JVTR 3 row radiator with 2 1200 CFM fans
Kamikaze 4-1 2.5" header
mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust
re-chambered OEM muffler
RC550 injectors
Skunk2 pro series cam gears
Invida solid torque mounts (thanks ben)
3" aluminum CAI

Thats it for now, thanks for reading kids.

I like learning. Don't you? My JRSC build log

Last edited by BlownGsR1001; 07-27-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Changed subject line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 238 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 09:57 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Niiiiiiiiiiceee!

"Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing"
post #3 of 238 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 10:08 PM

Feedback Score: 52 reviews
Nice Robb,

I'm in my third year of mechanical engineering and am loving it. I just finished up Chassis torsion calculations in my build thread, so me and you are in the same boat of doing way more in depth stuff than normal lol. Anyway, Good job, and keep it up, its sweet to see how this engineering stuff actually works! lolI just finished up thermodynamics and studying some heat exchangers, its interesting stuff!

post #4 of 238 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 10:18 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sweet build man!

Well I guess I dont count since Im a computer engineer, but Im also doing an all motor build haha. Are you having any work done to your block......honing and balancing the crank? I also bought 81mm Wiseco pistons and eagle rods but wish I had gotten 81.5. Im having my block refreshend and dont know how good the cylinder walls are so it would have made sense to go .5 over.

Good luck with your build!
post #5 of 238 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

I love engineering. It's pretty much all over. Like, EVERYWHERE. Haha. Anyone that's a geek by day and, well lets face it, a geek by night counts in my book.

My first post was kind of just to get the log up to speed. I'll be taking the crank out tomorrow (provided I can get the thing out by myself with the block in the car) and taking it to be polished. Then when the pistons / rods come in I'm having the crank / pulley / flywheel / pistons / rods all balanced as an assembly.

As far as the block goes, just a light hone. It had 85k on the motor, and was driven by my friends step mom until 68k. And she drove the thing like a oldsmobile...

Thanks for the feedback guys!
post #6 of 238 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 12:16 AM

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
if the block os low enough to the ground, you can use jackstands with towels on them to hold the crank in place while you take off the main caps.

Meltman:We here at TI all appreciate you trashing a perfectly good ITR engine because you're dumb.

Forced induction is NOT a fix for bad VE

B18Ch1ck: I am making noodles,they probably handle better than a DC5
post #7 of 238 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperX on Jun/27/09
if the block os low enough to the ground, you can use jackstands with towels on them to hold the crank in place while you take off the main caps.
Thanks Sam, I like this idea.

I'm also thinking about running a strap through the cylinders to hold them up. We'll see whats easiest.
post #8 of 238 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 12:44 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Good luck man, it looks pretty sweet, i wish i could do something like this haha keep us updated!
post #9 of 238 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 12:55 AM

Articles: 1
Bout freaking time Robb This is definitely one of the most 'interesting' builds i've seen and I can't wait to see the results! The best part is that you are taking what you learn in class and are applying it to the teg in order to make her better! I definitely can't wait to see the aftercooler when all is said and done!
M

EDIT: quick clarification on the sway...is it the jdm ITR 23mm or is it the ASR 24mm?

2001 Honda S2000 - SCCA Solo B Stock
- FailinConcepts Racing
"One of the great things in motor racing is concentration. When I want to go faster I don't drive any faster, I just concentrate harder." - Jim Clark

post #10 of 238 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 07:56 PM

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
BOOKMARKED!! Its really great to see someone dedicate the time to a JRSC'd Teggy!! Im in the process of sourcing all the parts for my JRSC GSR build and will be starting a running log as soon as i get most of what i need together!! Keep us updated and i might hit you up for sum pointers if you dont mind.
post #11 of 238 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtmillhouse648 on Jun/27/09
Bout freaking time Robb This is definitely one of the most 'interesting' builds i've seen and I can't wait to see the results! The best part is that you are taking what you learn in class and are applying it to the teg in order to make her better! I definitely can't wait to see the aftercooler when all is said and done!
M

EDIT: quick clarification on the sway...is it the jdm ITR 23mm or is it the ASR 24mm?
ya got me! Good catch M, a typo on my part. It's the 23mm
post #12 of 238 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 09:48 AM

Interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

2001 GSR Turbo - RACE
2008 Subaru STI - DD
post #13 of 238 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I rode in my buddy's supercharged GSR before I boosted my own teg. That thing made your stomach drop with how it pulled out of the hole. It was insane. I could only laugh.

I gotta get a ride in it again now that I'm used to 330 whp, lol.

Seriously though, that thing will have some serious pull even though some people give the supercharger a bad rap.

2012 Mitsubishi Evolution X - 355 awhp / 350 awtq. Stock Turbo
2015 Lexus NX200T - Wife's Daily
2004 Honda Accord EX-L - Daily
post #14 of 238 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 11:03 AM

I like this I have a JRSC setup in my GSR too I wish I was as smart as you to do mods to that. I look forward to the great project.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page