M, this ones for you...
This blows - my JRSC GSR build
Okay, I decided I would finally start a build log for my JRSC GSR. I've had Maria for almost 4 years now, and have been modding her since I brought her home, so I'll try to catch you guys up and stay up to date. I don't like turbos
I would like to say a little bit about myself though. I'm a mechanical engineer, I currently hold two jobs
1) Heat exchanger engineer (think intercoolers)
2) Suspension and chassis engineer (think roll bars and ball joints)
TO THE 'TEG!!
She is a 2000 Milano red GSR. Up until last summer she had the basic JRSC bolt on kit. Shame on the JRSC FMU and the VAFCII. I was young, naive, and liked to tell girls it was the rocket fuel computer...we've all been there...
The build is an intercooled, rebuilt, and recoated M62JR supercharger with all the goodies to go with.
Before I left for Ann Arbor last summer for my term as a chassis engineer, I ripped her all apart so I could take some of the pieces with me to work on her while I was away.
And then Fall '08
Notice the missing: supercharger, head, transmission. These are the major pieces I'm working on for this build.
I took the OEM head with me to Michigan and started to disassemble it. Did you know you need a special valve spring compressor? Well, I quickly found that out. Did you know they're outrageously expensive? Well, I found that out too. I didn't feel like paying for one, so I took measurements on my head and made one.
Anyway, I took the head apart and went to a shop to have new KMS bronze silicone valve guides pressed in, and have the valve seats done.
Here you can see when I got it back. The two valves were just set in there from when the machinist was checking diameters for the valve seats.
New endyn black nitride stainless exhaust valves and new OEM ITR intake valves went in with new OEM ITR seats, springs, and retainers. Actually, They're new ITR intake valvesprings and I moved the gsr dual intakes to the exhaust side. Same deal, right?
I was going to do a little research into port design and flow mechanics, but decided it was better to just leave the ports alone than try to dremel them to oblivion...
Another thing I took with me to MI was the transmission. I cracked the case and threw in an ITR LSD, and new carbon coated 1-5 syncros from GearSpeed. Sorry I don't have any pics of the process...
Notice the two spare transmissions I gutted for the LSD...
Fattening my traction circle
I decided to apply some of the knowledge I had learned at work and improve how Maria handled. So as she sits...
3-point front strut bar, Koni yellows, Ground controls at 350F 400R, 23mm JDM ITR rear sway, ASR brace, and blox lower control arms (a by-product of the rear LCA of course).
I'm considering going to 400F 450R in a few weeks, but I don't have much seat time with the near ITR sway. So I've decided to wait and try it out for a bit before I change too much. I had a rear x-brace that I was going to put in, and then weld the heim joints but I couldn't get the brackets to work with my 3-point harness on the c-pillar. So I'm making my own. I'll post it up when it's done.
Rolling stock went to 16x7 greyish silver slips wrapped in 205/45/16 RE01s courtesy of the TireRack sale.
So everyone know that superchargers have bad efficiencies. Well, I really like the drivability of the blower, but wanted more power. I looked into the LHT setup, but frankly I found it a little laughable - as did a few of my co-workers. Again, we do heat exchanger design...So I talked it over with a few of the other engineers at work and we're coming up with an improved design of the LHT system. We're cutting off the hashed areas and putting in a large plenum and cooling cores
The real improvement of the design over the LHT comes from the heat exchanger cores that will be going inside, as well as the inherent advantages of the open tanked system that I'll be using vs. their closed system. Obviously the plenum volume will increase, to make room for the cores. It's a little complicated to describe the new design, but I'll post concept pictures once the modeling is complete - these are not for sale.
Here's a compression map of the eaton M62JR blower I'm using
I plan on being around 11-12 psi, which will require about 14,500 rpms from the blower, putting me 12% below peak efficiency. However, the compressor map was developed without an SCAC (second circuit after cooler) so efficiency should be substantially higher. I won't know exactly what the efficiencies will be until I finish the heat transfer calcs and can estimate post compressor IATs.
Obligatory rotor shot...
Still to be installed...
Wiseco 81mm 9.7:1 pistons
Fridanza 8 lb flywheel
Exedy stage 2 clutch
ARP mains and head bolts
AEM EMS with ugeo
JVTR 3 row radiator with 2 1200 CFM fans
Kamikaze 4-1 2.5" header
mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust
re-chambered OEM muffler
Skunk2 pro series cam gears
Invida solid torque mounts (thanks ben)
3" aluminum CAI
Thats it for now, thanks for reading kids.