496K views 3K replies 171 participants last post by  RootsGSR 
#1 · (Edited)
Luck4rmkc's Turbo GSR Build

Current highest power level acheived - 968 whp
Current best 1/4 mile E.T. - 9.73 @ 151 mph

Recent pix:

Here's How it started in '09:
Hey T-I,
I'm starting a turbo project on my 97 GS-R so I thought I might log my progress and info for anyone interested. This is a bit of a ballin' on a budget build, I have currently spent under 1K on parts. That being said I know that I do not have all the high dollar parts in the world but this still should be a very solid set-up and make some decent power for the money I have in it. I am open to criticism if there is a valid point to back it up. But if it is not constructive discussion please don't bring it here.

Here is the victim

Here is the Money Shot

Well T-I lmk what you think...

See less See more
#6 ·
Parts list:

T3/T4 .50 A/R turbo
Turbonetics Evolution Wastegate
Drag cast manifold
JDM Sport intercooler
Greddy style knockoff BOV
2.5" Downpipe to Greddy Ti-C exhaust
Precision 650cc Injectors (high impedance)
P05 ecu chipped and converted to vtec
Skunk2 obd2 to obd1 jumper harness
Turbo XS boost controller
Autometer Boost Gauge

A lot of these parts are used and were in good working order when removed from the previous vehicle. My friends were upgrading and I couldn't pass up the good deals on all these turbo parts

#10 ·
4drdohc on Apr/26/09 said:
what clutch are you going with? i wonder if the stock gsr clutch would hold? and im guessing your using stock internals
Yes I am going to boost on stock internals and I don't have any compression test numbers yet but I will post when I get em. I am leaning toward an ACT clutch with HD pressure plate and full street disc. I am curious if my stock clutch will hold.. but I am sure it won't

#15 ·
I was curious as to what amount of power I was starting with so I could see how far I'd come once I boost. So I went to the local dyno day at MKC and strapped her on for some base numbers. Here is the dyno graph it made 153 hp and 118 ft/lbs (not too bad, I had lower expectations).

Also, I had never seen my car wrap out with the hood open before and good god I need new mounts

#17 ·
***Update***

I started work today installing the turbo kit. Today mostly consisted of removal of my a/c and other parts that will no longer be needed. Here are some progress pics...

Last time the engine bay will look like this

No More A/C and header

Manifold, Turbo and wastegate bolted up loosely to test fitment... conclusion -- I need a half rad

Radiator had to be removed in order to make room for the compressor housing on the turbo. Here is what it looks like for now.

#23 ·
Here are a few more pics of the current state of the build which is halted at the moment due to the fact that I pulled some threads out of the cylinder head the other day when I was tightening down one of the Exhaust manifold bolts

Also running short on free time til next weekend
Here's some pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.