Running Log: jjkz24's JDM Front GSR / 770whp @31psi - Page 78 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 324Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1079 of 1269 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by luck4rmkc View Post
Looks like a lot more went on in that cylinder than just a cracked sleeve. Did it ingest something? There are deep dimples in the piston top like it smashed something. What did the bottom of the head and the valve faces look like? Up close does it look like physical damage or is the piston just eroding away. Erosion would be indicative of detonation.

There is also a good amount of scuffing all around that cylinder wall that usually occurs when a piston expands more than anticipated (from overheat or detonation) and contacts the cylinder wall. This could also be from insufficient piston to wall clearance or debris in a cylinder which goes back to the marks on the piston top.
You're correct, as this specific cylinder did, in fact, have detonation. Tuning with 93 went smooth, and the engine continued to make torque. The spark plugs were new, and nothing showed or gave any indication that we couldn't continue. In other words, it was "business as usual", as we came to a stopping point with 93 octane.

Problems didn't start until a few pulls into switching to E85. After checking plugs, cylinder #2 had white spotting on the electrode. Almost as if that cylinder was starting to starve of fuel. At first, we thought that maybe E85 dislodged something in the tank, or elsewhere, and was clogging the injector. We didn't want to rule out a faulty injector, as they were basically new with only a few pulls completed with them (ID1000's). Switching the injector to another cylinder did not change the results. Swapping them out completely didn't either. I believe another pull or two was completed while pulling a ton of timing, and our problem seemed to have disappeared for that run.

It wasn't until we pulled plugs again (we were pulling them after every dyno pull) that we noticed cylinder #2 was wet with coolant. Inserting a bore scope confirmed that we had coolant in the cylinder. Typically when a sleeve cracks, it's extremely noticeable in the exhaust, or just a "kablooey" type event. There was none of that in this example. Other than coolant in the cylinder, nothing gave indication of a catastrophic failure, but we knew at that point what had happened, and it was at that point that we put the car away, until I wanted to deal with it this year (now).

Below is a pic of the bottom of the cylinder head (cyl #2 ). This is an extreme closeup, and the carnage is not that bad in person. The material is from the sleeve itself, being broken off in the cylinder. This will be de-burred at a machine shop, and milled appropriately.

luck4rmkc likes this.

770whp/500wtq @31psi E85

2013 Carlisle P&S 1st Place Acura Integra Class Winner
2011 Carlisle P&S 1st Place Acura Integra Class Winner

2010 Carlisle P&S 1st Place Acura Class Winner
2009 Carlisle P&S 2nd Place Acura Class Winner
2007 Tuner-Evolution 1st Place Acura Class Winner

Click Me: Check Out My Build Thread - From Stock to 770WHP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1080 of 1269 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 08:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by luck4rmkc View Post
Looks like a lot more went on in that cylinder than just a cracked sleeve. Did it ingest something? There are deep dimples in the piston top like it smashed something. What did the bottom of the head and the valve faces look like? Up close does it look like physical damage or is the piston just eroding away. Erosion would be indicative of detonation.

There is also a good amount of scuffing all around that cylinder wall that usually occurs when a piston expands more than anticipated (from overheat or detonation) and contacts the cylinder wall. This could also be from insufficient piston to wall clearance or debris in a cylinder which goes back to the marks on the piston top.
Detective luck4rmkc on the case!
jjkz24 and luck4rmkc like this.
post #1081 of 1269 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Mounted the ECU to the passenger floor aluminum bracket that I had purchased over the Winter. It came with rubber isolation mounts, that needed modified a bit to fit the mounting legs on the ECU. The gap in between them weren't quite big enough, so out came the Dremel, and a ton of burning rubber debris.

Came out good I think.

90IntegraTypR likes this.
post #1082 of 1269 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Brake Lines:

Got some things accomplished on the 'Teg the last few days. Recently, the non-ABS brake lines got installed, along with a prop-valve from an RS. All of these lines are brand new, OEM from Acura. $120ish for everything if I recall, but this wasn't something that I wanted to skimp on. I didn't feel like rusty flange bolts and such from another used vehicle, so having new parts was a no-brainer for me. Thanks again for @coolhandluke for the write-up on the 98-01 ABS Removal article. No modifications needed, and I'm still using my GSR master cylinder: 98-01 ABS Removal Parts

JDMJNKY likes this.
post #1083 of 1269 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
S300 Header Connectors:

When I restored the ECU case, I completely forgot to make provisions for the wiring that's connected to the two headers on the S300 board. One is for digital connections (my flex-fuel sensor), and the other is for my analog inputs (0-5v, oil pressure, fuel pressure, etc).

I decided to drill two holes, and then insert rubber grommets to protect the wiring, and the ECU case itself:

Silvia, JDMJNKY and dpaton like this.
post #1084 of 1269 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Articles: 3
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
post #1085 of 1269 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Breather Tank/Remote Battery Terminals:

These pics came out very grainy, so I have to apologize. Breather tank is installed, as well as the remote battery terminals on the driver's side. In attempt will be made to mount the battery on the driver's side, where the washer tank once was. A custom battery tray will need to be fabricated, and a power wire ran to the starter terminal.

JDMJNKY likes this.
post #1086 of 1269 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 06:44 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JDMJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to JDMJNKY
Great updates!
jjkz24 likes this.

1213 AFFILIATION - JDMKIDS | CALI LOVE | AS1 FAMILIA
1213 AFFINITY - Integra Log | NITE GRIND TRANSMISSIONS | GRIPSET | NASTIE GARAGE | CALI LOVE CLOTH. |
post #1087 of 1269 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 01:51 AM

Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Great photo documentation and progress. Keep it up!
jjkz24 likes this.

"To change is easy. To improve is hard."- F. Porsche
ITR Expo 16 has been announced!

97' ITR Part Out Thread
post #1088 of 1269 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Battery Relocation:

Some more updates on the car. I wanted to move the battery out of the engine compartment, and the trunk was not an option for me. There is absolutely nothing in my trunk and I wanted to keep it that way. I'm also cleaning up items in the engine compartment, and the battery is just an eye-sore to me.

What's the alternative?

A custom battery tray/support was fabricated, and welded to the frame rail. It allows the battery to be remotely mounted, out of site, and still be removable for servicing, if need be.

post #1089 of 1269 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandluke View Post
Great photo documentation and progress. Keep it up!

Thanks buddy! I'm more of a visual person, and learn better that way. If anyone else is like me, they'll benefit as well. I like to see how something will be fabricated or installed, and if someone else takes my ideas or thoughts and applies it to their vehicle, then I feel I'm helping them as well.
post #1090 of 1269 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 75
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Love the tray... I've got room there as well... hmmmmm..... moar room in engine bay possible
post #1091 of 1269 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningZ View Post
Love the tray... I've got room there as well... hmmmmm..... moar room in engine bay possible
There's definitely, PLENTY of room down in this area. The best part about it is, you can utilize the OEM battery size. No need to switch or use an Odyssey battery with only 1/2 the CCA.
post #1092 of 1269 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 09:56 AM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 75
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Any safety concerns if that front corner gets crushed?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page