Most of this week was spent getting the tie rods installed. The first step was to locate the inner tie rod pivot points precisely using a bump steer gauge. I needed to be able to adjust the pivot point height and tie rod length easily between bump steer measurements to zero in on the bump steer curve I was looking for. I made a bracket that I could clamp to the cross member to raise and lower the pivot point, with a bolt through a strap that was hose clamped to the tie rod for length adjustments.
This pic shows the setup on the left rear. You can see the hose clamps on the tie rod and the clamps holding the bracket to the cross member. The bump steer gauge plate is on the left with the dial indicator set at zero.
This pic of the left rear from underneath, better shows the bracket and tie rod setup. I used the original Prelude rear tie rod with the inner pivot cut off. on the Prelude, the rod length is fixed and the inner pivot adjusts toe with an eccentric. This is the second bracket I made as the first one was too flimsy. (I used a CD player mounting bracket I had left over from installing one in my í91 Si.)
Hereís another view of the adjustable tie rod setup from the rear.
This shot shows the bump steer gauge. I started off with the gauge sitting on the floor, but with the legs of the gauge fully extended, the bump steer measurements were unreliable. I used an old tabletop and some plywood sitting on a stool to raise the whole rig up as shown.
I started off at the height and length calculated from my suspension geometry drawings, which turned out to be about 10mm too high and about 25mm too long. It took about 12 iterations of measuring and adjusting to get everything just right. I actually started off on the right side, and then verified those dimensions on the left. Fortunately, and as it should be, they were the same.
This pic shows the finished tie rods. The outer ends at the top are from the Prelude and the inner ends are from the Integra front tie rods. I cut the threaded portion from the inner end of the Integra outer tie rod, machined it in the lathe to fit inside the tie rod tube, and welded it to the Prelude tie rod. The Integra inner tie rod is threaded into the modified outer ends. Nuts from the Prelude rear upper control arms are the same thread as in the ends of the Integra steering rack, which now hold the inner tie rod to fabricated brackets welded to the cross member.
I took the cross member out to weld on the inner tie rod brackets, which were fabricated from 2Ē bar stock.
This pic shows the right side bracket from the bottom side of the cross member.
This is a shot from the right end of the cross member. The front of the cross member is facing down, and the top is to the right. The bolt at the lower left is for the right rear lower control arm.
The next 2 pics show the left side of the cross member with the tie rod installed.
I made a collar to go between the inner tie rod end and mounting bracket to spread the load across the face of the bracket. You can just barely see it in this shot from below the left rear.
Now that I have the rear suspension complete, Iíve started on the quarter panel flaring process. Iím planning to use 16x8 wheels with 245/45/16 tires and I want to make sure I have no tire rub throughout the suspension travel.