LS to GS-R with new life - MalTeg's Running Log - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
LS to GS-R with new life - MalTeg's Running Log

Decided to start one of these threads. Relocating article content here.

From the original post:
Ok, I know that there are like 1000 of these, but I think MalTeg wants some attention... lol. So here we go.

In November, my engine ate itself alive. So my teg sat.... and sat... and sat while I saved up money to fix him up! 2 weeks ago, my savings account was sitting at a cool 4k, so I decided to get started!

I should start by saying that I know NOTHING about engines. My father didn't teach me, despite being a mechanic. Luckily, I am pretty clever though. So I figured I would be fine.
Picked up a used B18C1 from the junkyard.

Had to buy a lot of parts. Sorry that I didn't take pictures along the way... When you really get into it, you don't really think about taking pictures. But here's most of the stuff I bought:

Found out my cv axle was shot, so I bought a replacement

Here is my clutch installed (forgot to take the picture till after I had put the transmission on... lol)

Got the old engine out. Head is still good but the block is totally shot.

Got the new one in.

Got my kevlar coated spiral core spark plug wires in the mail (VMS Racing... decided I like this brand)

Installed new spark plugs/wires/dizzy

Now, I know these are kind of "ricey", but I modified my cluster to accommodate my new engine (used EL glow faces)

It has two different lighting modes

Parts list for rebuild:

Piston ring compression tool
Piston ring gapping grinder tool
Pulley puller
Pitman tool
Feeler gauges
P28 ecu
Obd2 - obd1 conversion harness
Block paint + primer
Spark plugs + wires
Billet engine mounts
Cometic head gasket + ARP head bolts
Competition clutch stage 3 clutch
Skunk 2 catback exhaust 3"
Skunk 2 intake manifold and throttle body
Skunk 2 VTEC solenoid
Skunk 2 pro xp valve springs and Titanium retainers
Skunk 2 lowering springs and struts
Skunk 2 stage 2 pro cams
Skunk 2 alpha connecting rods
New b18c1 block
Cp forged pistons 9.8:1 Cr
Obx LSD
Front suspension parts
Vms racing adjustable cam gears
1000cc injectors
OEM itr throttle cable
New main crank bearing
Transmission rebuild kit
GM 3bar map sensor
Gauge pod
Boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, and aem wideband controller
All gaskets
Itr carbon fiber spoiler
Turbonetics turbocharger kit
integra-evan and chevymeister like this.

Our cars are what the world sees as we are out. Do you want to leave a good impression? Or would you rather just be another person?

If someone helps you, give them a LIKE

I am MalTeg

My build thread is here.

Last edited by MalTeg; 11-21-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, so I didn't replace the gaskets on my exhaust, and noticed that i had a nice exhaust leak. It seemed to seal fine initially, so I figured it would be ok. But, I used it as an excuse to upgrade my exhaust to a higher size for better flow. Found some mandrel bends on ebay (not using the tip or test pipe), and seeing as I have other issues, namely that my flywheel was inferior, I am assuming that the metal shards from the flywheel chewed up my clutch, and my intake is sitting on my rad hose I decided to buy everything in one go. Here are the purchases:

I will update as I get and install everything!
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 09:11 AM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Looks like a solid start to a build. Looking forward to moar parts updates! Lol

JDM from the womb to the tomb

echelonwarrior: i love how you just go down the highway at 100 sticking out of the sunroof shirtless

Every time matt works on my car he hands me a few bolts and tells me "here, you didnt need these" and sometimes his clutch foot doesnt work properly

Mutt's Log
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 09:53 AM

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Good progress so far! Those are some thick wires lol. How bright are those gauges? I kind of like them. My gauge cluster is not that bright at the brightest setting so I was thinking about reverse indiglo gauges so that I could actually read the gauges lol! How did they install?
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 10:51 AM

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Why not add to your "LS to GSR conversion" build thread? Only difference seems to be the title, which can be changed with editing the original post in advanced mode.

Nice selection of new parts though. it's always fun getting new stuff for the teg!
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom3030 View Post
Why not add to your "LS to GSR conversion" build thread? Only difference seems to be the title, which can be changed with editing the original post in advanced mode.

Nice selection of new parts though. it's always fun getting new stuff for the teg!
pretty much... well, that and I want to try to make this one neater than the last thread.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, so today I removed the resonator since it will be in the way of my CAI when it gets here. After reading up on it, people say that it isn't necessary to remove the bumper or fender, but removing the bumper would have made that last bolt a lot easier... lol. Also replaced the fuel filter yesterday since my car kept threatening to die but the fuel pump was obviously working.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 01:03 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I like those gauge faces, how much work was that to do? What was involved?
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
You have to remove and disassemble the gauge cluster, removing the speedo and tacho entirely. Modify the back housing to accommodate the new wiring, thread the wires, use a non-expanding adhesive to affix the EL glow faces over your existing faces (DO NOT use double sided tape), reassemble the cluster, determine where you will wire it into your car at (easiest is to wire it into your dimmer switch), mount the transformer, and put the bezel back in. Here are a couple pictures of how it looks at night.

I know the differences don't seem very apparent in the photos, but in person it looks much different between the two. One is kind of a xenon color, the other is like liquid paper white.
integra-evan and migee like this.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Added my goals for my teg to the first post.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, small update today as I didn't really do much. I got my no name headers in, and fixed the way my exhaust was mounted up (the first time is put it in wrong). Now, I need to get an ITR OEM muffler. I will be buying one soon. Also, I don't have a garage atm, but I do have my new flywheel, clutch, clutch plate. Here are pics!

You can also see in these pictures that I got my CAI in as well.

And that is it for the pictures!
Bakercloud likes this.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 06:15 AM

Garage
Is that whole exhaust that you bought on the car or just the Headers?
What was wrong about how it was first installed?
How did everything line up?
Any problems? Did u have to fabricate anything

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by myb18a1 View Post
Is that whole exhaust that you bought on the car or just the Headers?
What was wrong about how it was first installed?
How did everything line up?
Any problems? Did u have to fabricate anything
Yeah, I bought a whole exhaust system. It is a direct replica of the ITR exhaust system, minus the muffler. 2.25" mandrel bent.

what was wrong was I got the resonator section on there backwards, so the hangers were flat against the undercarriage.

The only problems I had were that they doughnut gasket they provided with the system didn't fit into my catalytic converter, my bolts were long enough to make the jump from pipe to cat, and I forgot to unplug the DS O2 sensor, so I had to repin that. Other than that, my only issue is that I hate this damn fart can... it irritates me beyond words. But all the exhaust gaskets that came with it sealed perfectly, so no more exhaust leak (which is partially why I did this in the first place).
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just figured I would give a quick update: Gotta do emissions and get my car registered. Turns out, there was a typo on my registration (I had to go and get new plates part way through the year), and I was supposed to have to do it this month, but it was actually still supposed to be done in may. Despite my registration card saying otherwise, so my teg is sitting at the moment. Gotta add some finishing touches before I can get through emissions like my new muffler and flywheel. Ordering the muffler tomorrow, and hopefully I can get my hands on a Helm's otherwise I am going to be buying a LOT OF INK and printing out my digital version. God that will take forever...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page