autozone tint? and a ? on 20% tint - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I picked up some tint from autozone that claims it is 20%, with 55% heat blocked. However, when i put the tint up against my windows it did not look near as dark as I thought 20% tint would look. Is this an optical illusion due to the whole car not being tinted anymore(hence more light entering the car as a whole), or is autozone tint just rated wrong?? Quick help is appreciated, i've got my whole interior taken apart and i'd like to at least put the door pannels back on before i have to drive to work tonight.
Ryan
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 36 reviews

pick it up from our sponser
http://www.team-integra.net/utils/track.asp?id=10
Old 06-17-2006, 01:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomracing on Jun/17/06
I dont want to wait for shipping.
G3gocart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2006, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

It is somewhat due to the car not being tinted yes, but man, if you are gonna tint, I kinda have to believe you gotta get it professionally done, a good tint job can be around 200 bucks but it can make your car look like a 1000 bucks more...I wouldn't go the Autozone route, just a thought...GL
primetime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2006, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 3 reviews

you have to get it done by a professional or you're gonna end up with bubbles.

i got mine done (from a buddy who owns a sound/tint/etc. shop for free); i've had it for 3 years, not one bubble, NOT oNE. For all customers, he also gives a lifetime warranty.

but, just agreeing with the comment above, you should get it professionally done for a bubble free window.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

No, you don't have to get it done professionally to not get bubbles, you just have to take your time and do it right. I hunted around some on the internet, and i think i'm going to put 20% tint up front, and limo in the back. I couldn't even get that professionally done if i wanted to as it is past the "legal" limits. I love the look of blacked out cars, though. Don't buy into people telling you that you HAVE to pay someone to do this, that is a huge myth.
Ryan
Old 06-17-2006, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well usually, the tint shops will go ahead and tint it illegally for you anyway...They just wont assume liability for it..meaning they wont claim that they tinted your car...I've had this done on all my cars, maybe in Florida it is different but i'm sure you can find a place that will do it..But if you're going to do it yourself than good luck with that, and i'd love to see pics of how it turned out, maybe you'll change a few minds on "self tinting"
primetime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2006, 02:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

i had mine done by a pro, 5% in the back, 20% in the front. All he did was say, " you do realize 20% up front is illegal right?" i said yep, then he tinted my car.
Chris96GS-R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have applied window tints to skylights, the almost dome shaped ones, and all you have to do to not get bubbles on the curved surfaces is have a squeegie and a hairdryer to heat shrink it. The curved windows are always the hardest but it's not complicated at all. Take your time, pass over any wrinkles with a hair dryer quickly and just squeegie bubbles out to the sides.

Very simplistic explanation but I'm just saying you could save yourself the extra $200 and give yourself a learning experience. Plus if you really screw up...buy another sheet of film and wipe the bad one off with some vinegar. Film is fairly inexpensive.
NicCantDecide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2006, 04:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicCantDecide on Jun/17/06
I have applied window tints to skylights, the almost dome shaped ones, and all you have to do to not get bubbles on the curved surfaces is have a squeegie and a hairdryer to heat shrink it. The curved windows are always the hardest but it's not complicated at all. Take your time, pass over any wrinkles with a hair dryer quickly and just squeegie bubbles out to the sides.

Very simplistic explanation but I'm just saying you could save yourself the extra $200 and give yourself a learning experience. Plus if you really screw up...buy another sheet of film and wipe the bad one off with some vinegar. Film is fairly inexpensive.

Sweet Jesus finally someone who agrees with me that this is an easy DIY, just time consuming. I think i've decided to ditch the autozone tint and go to a place that actually tints cars and buy their tint off of them. It seems you get better quality tint at similar pricing, and i do not want to be doing this again next year. I'm going with 20% in the front and 5% on the three rear windows and for the stripe on the front windshield. I will take pictures when i'm done to show everyone how it turned out. Another advantage to doing it myself is i can take the time and actually make that dot matrix look good on the rear window, that has always bothered me on my car.
Ryan
Ryan
Old 06-21-2006, 09:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

i have 20% on the sides, 5% back, and ATS1 line on front, looks great. i hate the dot matrix but oh well.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 6 reviews

make sure you check w/ local laws about tint, i keep hearing stories of ppl getting tickets for their tint getting too dark
Old 06-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 29 reviews

i got a ticket a few weeks ago for having 35% up front and 5% in the back. took a picture from the inside, with the sun out, and the hearing officer said the officer made a mistake, the window doesnt look tinted.

so yea, take a picture from the inside, when the sun is out.
pothiawala786 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2006, 10:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

i would deffinately get it done professionally, save a ton of trouble as doing it yourself takes a lot of patience and time, but if you do, spray soap and water on the window so you can slide the tint around to get it an exact fit, then use something with a good edge to push out water and the soap
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.