Front wheel bearing/hub issue - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front wheel bearing/hub issue

I have a 99 Integra GS-R that I have been building. Planning on starting a build thread here but figured I'd post this first. So I recently took the entire front knuckle assemblies to a local shop to have some new wheel bearings, extended studs and lower ball joints pressed in. When I was re-installing the rotors I noticed a couple issues. Kind of hard to explain so I have attached a link to a YouTube video of my car and the issue.

You can see how much the rotor moves while spinning and sometimes even grinds against the caliper bracket. Never seen anything like this but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to look like that. :tomato: Before taking the video I made sure everything was tight and had no wobble or play at all. The EBC rotor is also brand new out of the box and is perfectly straight with no warping at all so pretty certain the rotor is not the issue. I'm thinking that when the shop pressed in the new wheel bearing and re-installed the hub they failed to install it straight which is causing the movement when the hub spins. I'm not sure if that's even possible or if it could be something else. Also wondering what the fix for this would be or if the whole thing just needs to be redone correctly.

The other side might have the same issue but I wasn't even able to get the rotor on the hub because the studs are installed crooked and won't line up with the holes in the rotor.. :whyme:

I will be taking both knuckles back to the shop that did the work but I wanted to get an idea if what I'm thinking is right before I go in there and blame them for something that may not be their fault.

TL;DR watch the video and give me your opinion on what's wrong.

Last edited by MorningZ; 02-03-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 76
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
If the bearing is brand new, see if you get this movement

This was my car, brand new Koyo bearing *BUT* the knuckle itself was bent (thanks to a spin out on track). So something to look for

- Running Log, the trials and tribulations of building a car

echlonwarrior: "Hondabond saves lives"
K2sInteg98: "the best thing to do is keep spending and not keep count....lol"
dpaton: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

The wheel bearings are brand new Timkens and they do not have that movement.

Where was your knuckle bent at? Did that cause the movements you demonstrated in your video?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 10:37 PM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 76
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
The video is with a brand new Koyo pressed in

I can't tell you exactly where the knuckle was bent, all I needed to know and all I can tell you that once it happens, it doesn't matter where, the assembly is f*cked
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningZ View Post
If the bearing is brand new, see if you get this movement

This was my car, brand new Koyo bearing *BUT* the knuckle itself was bent (thanks to a spin out on track). So something to look for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyDXIOCTPko
Thanks for this. I'll perform this test, before replacing my wheel hubs due to this issue.

2001 Integra GS Automatic Coupe; B18B1: 210,000 miles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page