Drilled or Slotted Rotors?? - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2003, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

first of all i searched the articles and didnt find anything but how to replace a rotor. i was wondering if someone could tell me the difference between drilled and slotted rotors. which would be best for every day driving, and no autocross racing or anything just everday average driving, and i would prefer wichever ones are better for hard hard breaking, which ones would have a higher resistance to warping and hot spotting? also, what kind of pads should i get with a drilled or slotted rotor setup? going on a 97 gsr, with jdm gsr motor. thanks a lot.
81scirocco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2003, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Get Brembo OEMs. There is absolutly no need for drilled/slotted rotors on a daily driver. Unless you want to tell all your 'not so bright' friends you have slotted rotors so they will think your cool, go for it!

Again, I suggest brembo oems, you will be happy, and all that money you saved on the not needed part you can put back into your car!
Old 06-19-2003, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Site Founder/Administrator

Model: SSBP GSR
Year: 1999
Articles: 75
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Brake Pad and Rotor Installation

- Running Log, the trials and tribulations of building a car

echlonwarrior: "Hondabond saves lives"
K2sInteg98: "the best thing to do is keep spending and not keep count....lol"
sgtmillhouse648: "VTAKS- just like boost with none of the lag...and none of the torque...and none of the boost"
MorningZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2003, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Articles: 3

Drilled is what it sounds like, theres holes drilled in it. You SHOULD NOT do that youreself, as simply drilling holes in the rotor, instead of them being cast or forged in will cause the rotors to crack in no time. Even originally drilled rotors are not as durable as blanks. Slotted roters, if not reffering to internally vented, are rotors with slots cut into them. Drilling and slotting do not serve to cool the rotor very much, they are done to provide a path for gasses formed while braking to escape. Cooling is a fucntion primarily of simple surface area, and the cooling fins built inbetween the rotor faces. For daily driving the best rotors are blanks that you can get from napa/autozone/schucks etc. Rotors are a wear item, and unless you road race you're car, blank rotors will suffice 99% of the time, will last longer, and will be cheaper to replace. If you want to reduce brake fade for the street, invest in some good quality street/auto-x pads like the EBC green stuff. Do not make the mistake of buying race pads, as race pads need to be hot to be effective, and daily driving they will probably land you a fender bender.

P.S. You could have found this information by searching the forum, but by writing this I can drop it in common topics ;-p.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 9 reviews

i have powerslot slotted rotors on my car and ebc green stuff pads, and i love it. braking was much improved over my stock setup. the rotors give a vibration under braking, but it is easy to get used to, and as long as you know what it is, isnt a worry. the whole setup cost me about 300-350(i cant remember for sure) for front and rear slotted rotors and front and rear pads.

Adam
Old 06-19-2003, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Articles: 30
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

thanks to neo and his visit with Mike B. at Comptech for this "nice" brake explanation:

broadband part 1

broadband part 2

OR

56k modem user part 1

56k modem user part 2

gassing out the brake gas is the slots or crossdrilled holes' function...not cooling...if you want to cool the rotors get a set of [url=http://www.ioportracing.com/bumperduct.htm]ducts[url] and dryer hose from Home Depot and run it to the center of your rotor from your air dam...trust me, unless you are lapping on the track , you aren't going hard enough to need brake duct work...the temps aren't high enough.

SurferX: bite your tongue, grin, and bare it when you see "Comptech"....

on this one they are spot on...

PS I suggest slotted over crossdrilled (even though I was suckered into getting the latter)...definitely do not drill the rotors...the good ones are casted with the holes in place in the mold...no drilling...as was said, drilling = cracking GUARANTEED.
MichaelDelaney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2003, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Articles: 40

I don't see why you'd need slotted or cross drilled for everyday driving. Even some racers in the Honda Challenge admit they did not improve their lap times with slotted or drilled rotors and still elect to use blanks. I think modern brake pad technology has surpassed alot of the need for these types of rotors. They may still help slightly, depending on your braking habits at the track. But for daily driving, I think it's all show.

I remember one of the driver's laughing when I asked him about the brakes on his car and he said, "Some of the street racer boys run bigger brake setups for going to school and getting grocieries than we do on our competition car."
#01-0379
SurferX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2003, 11:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Articles: 8
Feedback Score: 33 reviews

As long as you don't get wheel covers with disc brake simulators.....
Old 06-19-2003, 11:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Espeically considering it cuts down on surface area. The less there is to cause friction upon, the less there is to slow you down as well.
"They that can give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Ben Franklin Here we go Steelers, Here we GO!! P.S. I smell. And I can't change JK's signature anymore, hahaha. =)
hootb18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2003, 11:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

I recommend Brembo Blanks
db7ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2003, 11:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

I recommend cheap autozone blanks. Actually, any blank for that matter. It's not that hard to may a blank rotor.
hootb18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2003, 11:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootb18 on Jun/19/03
Espeically considering it cuts down on surface area. The less there is to cause friction upon, the less there is to slow you down as well.
Friction and surface area are independent. Bigger rotors do not stop faster because of their larger size.
TheGSRGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2003, 11:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

Articles: 40

That's because the contact surface of the pad/rotor remains unchanged when using a bigger rotor.
SurferX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2003, 11:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Basic physics dictates that surface area has no effect on friction. So even a larger caliper (larger swept area) doesn't really do much.

Larger rotors generally stop faster because the increased surface area allows for greater cooling.
TheGSRGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.