what exactly does control arm do? - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

lol okay, straight up......What are control arms, why are there so many (front/lower/rear/upper control arms), and what are trailing arms? I see that camber kits have the same shape as lower control arms. Are they a direct replacement for LCA's to adjust the camber when you lower your car?

I tried google, but ehow doesn't explain much, and I tried searching the forum but there's no solid diagram or explanation. Excuse my newbness!

Old 08-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Rear lower control arms:

Rear trailing arms:

Front upper control arm:

The front LCA is the same as the back but in the front.

What is a control arm? Why are there so many? Click me to find out.

Also a camber kit replaces the UPPER control arm. And yes it allows you to adjust your camber when you lower the car.

And for the record, I google imaged each thing you asked for before posting them here. Search harder next time, but I hope this helped.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

i think the part names are all you need to know to figure it out, but if not don't stop at ehow. continue reading. btw ^^^^^ is A+ all you can ever want to know. good post
Darkstarstve78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Articles: 11
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

The name itself is pretty self explanatory... is am arm that control, controls what? if you just look at the design of each and every control arm, it pretty much tells you that it controls a fixed range on motion (like an arc)... it really just connects two parts together, and allows a certain range of motion and that's it.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Model: LS w/B18C1
Year: 1997
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Okay, I'll take a stab at this...

There are four wheels on the car. In order for the car to move, each wheel needs to somehow connect to the frame of the car. We use control arms to accomplish this. There are two CA's for each wheel - an upper and a lower. All eight CA's have an attachment point to the vehicle frame.

Why do you need two CA's per wheel instead of one? It adds stability and secures the wheel as you move over uneven surfaces, or turn. This may not be the best analogy but think about pushing a wheelbarrow. Suppose it only had one handle for you to grab it, lift it, and push it forward. That might be easy if you are lifting a light load and traveling in a straight line on a perfectly flat surface.. but if you had to move a heavy load over a rough surface with lots of turns... well that would suck. Hence, you have two handles aka, "arms" to gain better, "control" of the direction of the wheel. There is also a shock/damper and spring connecting the front and rear LCAs to the frame.

The two front wheels are held to the car through a knuckle. This is basically a large piece of funky shaped metal with a big hole in the middle, and three smaller holes. In the big hole, you have a wheel bearing with a hub that has the spokes that you secure your wheel against. In the very center of the hub, you have the axle which connects to the transmission. As I said, there are also three smaller holes. Two are for the UCA and LCA, and the third is for the tie rod - which is input from the steering column.

The rear trailing arm (RTA) is basically the equivalent of the knuckle, except its' in the rear of the car, and it works a little differently. It too has three holes, as well as a large hole in the middle for the hub, which you connect your wheel against. Two of the holes are for the UCA and LCA. The third is a toe compensator for adjusting wheel toe. Since the RTA is so long, there's also a bushing in the middle. That bushing is marked inside the yellow circle in the pic above.

If you look at the first pic with the purple rear LCA's, the innermost hole has a bushing which goes into the sub frame. The outermost hole also has a bushing but goes into the RTA. The third bushing on the rear LCA's is next to this hole, and is for the rear shock.

Hope that helps!
MasterP_Nice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Thanks guys, I know how they work now. I really appreciate the pics, andrew, and thanks for the writeup masterp, that helped ALOT!
akhan360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List