Extended Top Hats for Dummies :-) - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Model: GSR/ITR :D
Year: 2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

** Disclaimer: This is a non technical way to explain extended top hats in relation to shock/damper travel and suspension.**

So, I have seen a number of people ask this very same question, and unfortunately there is little information on this topic. It all seems to be spread over the site. So here is your one stop shop for extended top hat info.

Exhibit A: This is a picture of extended top hats thanks to the Google:

Exhibit B:This is a picture of the extended in red, and oem in black:

If you aren't blind, you can clearly see that the red top hats are "taller" than the black top hats.

Problem #1:
The first problem that we run into with top hats and suspension is that people want to lower their cars improperly, or "slam" their cars to the ground for whatever reason. When you "slam" your car, the shock body sits closer to the top hat, giving you less available damper travel, or less room for the shock body to move. If you then hit a good sized bump, your shock body may hit your top hat (hopefully hitting a bumpstop first) causing damage.

That said, the first purpose of Extended top hats is to solve the problem of hitting your top hats with the shock body.

If you look at the above pictures, the bottom picture best shows the difference between the two. The middle part of the extended top hat is "taller", and just happens to be big enough to allow for the shock body to slide into it. That is not coincidence. Because of this extra room, when you hit that "good sized bump" your shock body now has the extra room it needs to travel to not hit the top hat.

Again, when a car is lowered, the shock body will sit closer to the chassis/top hat. Because of this there is less available suspension travel to handle bumps making it more likely to cause the shock body to have impact with the top hat. If you were able to provide an extra inch or 2 of extra shock body travel with the extended top hat, you would effectively increase the room in which you have to work with, and lower the chances of hitting the top hat.

Problem #2:
Another reason for extended top hats is to help your shocks/dampers travel within their optimal range. The problem here is that each shock will have an optimal working range usually not known by the general public until you blow out your shocks. Some companies will give you a suggested drop measurement range, let's face it... not everyone listens to that.

The way extended top hats help your shock to travel in their optimal range is by changing the resting point of the shock body in relation to the damper shaft. If you are starting out an inch or two further extended then you would without the extended top hat, you are then giving yourself the proper range in relation to your starting point to work with. How much more room you need depends on your drop and the shock/damper you are using. Unfortunately, there are way too many options to have a solution layed out for each situation. You should just make sure that your shocks/dampers are properly rated for the spring rate and height that you want to achieve.

What extended top hats DoN'T do:

Extended top hats will NOT change the ride height of your vehicle. This is because your car is resting on springs, not solely on your shocks/dampers. The extended top hats are only moving the point at which the damper shaft bolts to the chassis and top hat, pulling the shaft out of the shaft body more, not extending your springs.

Extended top hats will NOT make blown shocks work... if your shocks are blown, they are done for. Replace them with proper shocks/dampers for your setup.

Extended top hats will NOT make OE shocks, or shocks not rated high enough for your application work. Use the right shocks/dampers for your application. Extended top hats will not be the end all solution to a poorly designed suspension setup. They have their purposes, and will only work when used properly.

**once again, this is a NoN TECHNICAL way to try to explain extended top hats to the masses. I know that there is physics behind all of this, but let's keep it there ie: behind all of this.**

dspsolo2: yes vulgarity came out, vulgarity is justified in times of ignorance.

chickwithastick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Model: Integra
Year: 1991
Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Nice wright up Good job.
91_LS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 06:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Well put together. This will be very useful for many in the future. I actually just lowered my car on koni str.t socks and h&r sports but i didnt get to install the extended top hats, maybe in the future........Thanks for the info
Wyatt87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 26 reviews

just a quick add to the ops post...

Ground Control Extended Top Hats (although name brand... WASTE OF MoNEY)... I made the mistake in spending $250 on them

you can go on eBay and find the literally IDENTICAL strutmounts for cheap ($120 shipped for all 4)
the red ones pictured above are actually from eBay... the ground controls look IDENTICAL

1994 DC4 Slow Drag Build
Testing & Tuning | 626WHP @ 28PSI | 12.738 @ 126.35
stillhere153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Model: Gsr-T
Year: 2001
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

^ i bought the ebay ones. they're a gem. i'm on ebay coilovers and stock front shocks(with ebay top hats) and kyb rear shocks(should get extended top hats..)

nice write up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTeg View Post
HOLY SHIT! I HAS BOOOOOOOOOSTT
Teg#1-94 LsB20(RIP)[Rear ended, Parted & Sold]
Teg#2-01 Gsr-T (Turbo'd then Sold)
Teg#3-98 Rs (Was Daily, Sold)
Teg#4-95 Gsr (Poor Man's R, Sold)
240sx-90(Drifter, Sold)
Shadow-84 Bobber Build
RF600R-95
E36-92 BMW
E36-98 Bmw(Current Build/Drift Project/Daily)
Teg#5-00 B20VT(i wanna go fast)
Teg#6-97 RS for Part out
SweetTeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Model: gsr jdm front
Year: 96
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

great write-up Trish
Old 12-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillhere153 on Dec/27/09
you can go on eBay and find the literally IDENTICAL strutmounts for cheap ($120 shipped for all 4)
the red ones pictured above are actually from eBay... the ground controls look IDENTICAL
very good to know!

also thanks for great writeup op
Old 12-27-2009, 11:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Any idea on where to get these in black? Seems as though all the ones on eBay are red, and I cant even find them through ground control.
Mirrorimg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 01:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Good "for dummies" write up Trish. Shined a good basic light on extended top hats that I'm sure MANY people were unaware of prior to reading this.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Model: GSR
Year: 2000
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Wow, after the half dozen "suspension build list" threads this last week or two, I'm really glad to see this little gem of an article pop up to help blanket about top-hats. Nice job.

Might want to mention a possible interference with some aftermarket strut bars though. Edlebrock 3-point as an example.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Articles: 11
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Thanks for the write up, lets pin this on the suspension section.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

Model: GSR
Year: 96
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thanks for the great write-up, Trish!

My '96 DC2 My girl's '98 DB8
Drache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 03:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 26 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorimg on Dec/27/09
Any idea on where to get these in black? Seems as though all the ones on eBay are red, and I cant even find them through ground control.
Hit up the nearest powdercoater in ur are... I'd be hardpressed to believe he/she would charge more than $15 per tophat for such a small item

Or you could go dirt cheap... The long studs come out the bottom... Then spray some aircraft paint thinner and ur favorite black followed by a clearcoat... Can't run you more than 25 for the entire job

But that's just me...

Ps. Send a message to the eBay seller, they might have em in black
stillhere153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #14 (permalink)

Model: Trailblazer LT
Year: 2002
Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Great Job Trish! Another option to point out is the 'DIY Extended Tophat' as well. This involves taking a set of OE tophats, cutting the shock 'mount' off of the shock itself, then simply welding in a spacer to raise the mount from the body of the tophat. The nice thing about this is that it is 'adjustable' to your application IE you're car is lowered 1.5" so you extend the tophats 1.5" and whala you're running inside your normal OE operating range. The bad part is that you have to know how to weld...or pay someone to weld for you.

2001 Honda S2000 - SCCA Solo B Stock
- FailinConcepts Racing
"One of the great things in motor racing is concentration. When I want to go faster I don't drive any faster, I just concentrate harder." - Jim Clark

sgtmillhouse648 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List