Are coilover sleeves suppose to be loose? - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2008, 03:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Model: Integra GS-R
Year: 1999
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Like stated above TI, i bought a set of four no name coilover sleeves, that are similar to sk2's, on a car mod site because they seemed really cheap, and yes i know i'm low balling my teg, but i was immature and broke at the time so i bought them. i was going to sell them again because i wanted to go for a more assuring setup, but i just got new struts yesterday to replace my stock shocks and i thought why not put the sleeves on temporarily to finally see my car lowered and i have a close friend who's a pretty good grease monkey on his civic hatch and he also has these coilovers. so i put them on and now i have a problem/question:

are coilover sleeves suppose to be loose or wobbly when you raise the car, lets say when you're changing out the tires. because since coilovers are like half the length of stock springs is this to be expected?
any help would be appreciated thanks.
revn99teg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2008, 03:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Model: 01 GS & 99 LS
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Yes they are suppose to be loose when you jack the car up. The 2 discs however, should be tightened together at all times. But yea, the spring will be loose when you jack it up.
IntegraCF21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2008, 03:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegraCF21 on Sep/18/08
Yes they are suppose to be loose when you jack the car up. The 2 discs however, should be tightened together at all times. But yea, the spring will be loose when you jack it up.
can you explain what the two disks you're talking about are? sorry, and thanks for the fast reply
Old 09-18-2008, 04:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVn98teg on Sep/18/08
Quote: IntegraCF21 on Sep/18/08Yes they are suppose to be loose when you jack the car up. The 2 discs however, should be tightened together at all times. But yea, the spring will be loose when you jack it up.

can you explain what the two disks you're talking about are? sorry, and thanks for the fast reply
The 2 discs I'm referring to are the ones that are below the spring that are used to raise and lower the car. See the 2 under the spring here?

Old 09-18-2008, 04:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 7 reviews

the 2 disc that are always together to hold your coil/springs at the hieght you wanted set at
RiceRoni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2008, 04:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 7 reviews

^^^ beat me to it lol
RiceRoni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2008, 04:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

oh awrite, my set has like three allan wrench type screws to tighten the discs on each sleeve, but i only have one disc per sleeve though. these might not be that good compared to sk2's, but it'll do for now. i'm guessing that you use these springs, do you ever have problems with like potholes on the road, like with the springs being loose like that if the control arm suddenly drops? you think thats a major issue or its normal?
Old 09-18-2008, 04:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

lol It is tight like any other spring when you have it on the ground. So no, potholes and such aren't any different with these accept you will feel them more probably.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

haha, awrite well it was one of the dilemas that my dad and i were discussing after finishing one tonight. we thought that every time i would go over a hole my control arm would just go down making the spring loose in place, and my dad didn't think it was safe, but i think you cleared it up thanks a lot bro, that really helped me out
Old 09-18-2008, 08:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVn98teg on Sep/18/08
oh awrite, my set has like three allan wrench type screws to tighten the discs on each sleeve, but i only have one disc per sleeve though. these might not be that good compared to sk2's, but it'll do for now. i'm guessing that you use these springs, do you ever have problems with like potholes on the road, like with the springs being loose like that if the control arm suddenly drops? you think thats a major issue or its normal?
Not sure how yours look, but it sounds like some Ground Control knock off coilovers.

And yeah, that spring bouncing around is not too safe with bumps and potholes. Play it safe and raise the springs all the way up until there's no big gap left.

Not all coilovers have a huge gap when raised in the air.
My GC's don't and neither do my full coilovers.
YuG_NagihciM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Model: LS
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceRoni on Sep/18/08
the 2 disc that are always together to hold your coil/springs at the hieght you wanted set at
yea i actually lost my 3 allen nuts on my GC, a forgot to use lock tight and was in a hurry i guess, so i called GC and got the nuts for free plus another disc, cuz one is frozen.. so my ride height changes daily and is uneven!!! but it will change this weekend...

SECURITY FIRST > BLING LATER
owning an teg is all about how much of a risk you are willing to take

XslickblacktegX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2008, 09:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuG_NagihciM on Sep/18/08
Quote: REVn98teg on Sep/18/08oh awrite, my set has like three allan wrench type screws to tighten the discs on each sleeve, but i only have one disc per sleeve though. these might not be that good compared to sk2's, but it'll do for now. i'm guessing that you use these springs, do you ever have problems with like potholes on the road, like with the springs being loose like that if the control arm suddenly drops? you think thats a major issue or its normal?

Not sure how yours look, but it sounds like some Ground Control knock off coilovers.

And yeah, that spring bouncing around is not too safe with bumps and potholes. Play it safe and raise the springs all the way up until there's no big gap left.

Not all coilovers have a huge gap when raised in the air.
My GC's don't and neither do my full coilovers.
Thanks for the input, and yes i am gonna play it on the safe side, i was only targeting a one and a half inch drop anyways because i dont have a camber kit yet and im short on the dough coz of school. but this is just temporary, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.