Cost to replace lower ball joints - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My suspension is squeaking a lot in the front and I was told it was probably the lower ball joints. Does anybody have an idea of how much it would cost to replace both lower ball joints? I might be selling my Teg soon and I want to get rid of the squeak before I do.
stumeston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 12:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Model: Honda Accord CD5
Year: 1997
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

I'd have a certified tech re-check that diag. Ball joints are not a commonly failed part on Hondas....or any small car for that matter.

Big trucks and SUV's are ball joint eaters.

1997 Honda Accord EX : Apexi WS2.....DD
TEGGSRB18C1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 12:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

I just talked to my friend who is a mechanic at a Honda dealership and he said the squeaking is probably just from my front sway bar bushings which would be really easy to replace.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEGGSRB18C1 on Aug/12/08
I'd have a certified tech re-check that diag. Ball joints are not a commonly failed part on Hondas....or any small car for that matter.

i would have to say you're some what incorrect. He lives in Canada. I lived in NY for 20 years and I had both front lower ball joints break on me while driving! of course, each ball joint broke at a different time, but the point is, salt+water+air+winter=corrosion/rust. Ball joints snap on any car that is doomed to winter conditions. I had both mine replaced, at different times, for 150, this included new axles, cuz mine ripped out of the transmission when the ball joint snapped. oh yea, i forgot to mention, this occurred on my previous g2 teg.
WhiteThunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 01:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 52 reviews

i dont think ball joints would ever make a "squeaking" noise. Maybe a grinding if theres a lot of corrosion, but i would say its some bushings worn, or not lubed up depending on if their aftermarket bushings
94carbonteg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure they are stock ones. The guy I bought the car from told me about every aftermarket part on the car and he didn't mention any bushings, except for the rear trailing arm ones. How much do you think it would cost to get all of the bushings replaced in the front of the car? Also, the car has never been winter driven, so it does seem unlikely that the ball joints would be corroded.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteThunder on Aug/12/08
Quote: TEGGSRB18C1 on Aug/12/08I'd have a certified tech re-check that diag. Ball joints are not a commonly failed part on Hondas....or any small car for that matter.

i would have to say you're some what incorrect. He lives in Canada. I lived in NY for 20 years and I had both front lower ball joints break on me while driving! of course, each ball joint broke at a different time, but the point is, salt+water+air+winter=corrosion/rust. Ball joints snap on any car that is doomed to winter conditions. I had both mine replaced, at different times, for 150, this included new axles, cuz mine ripped out of the transmission when the ball joint snapped. oh yea, i forgot to mention, this occurred on my previous g2 teg.
Just ran a search on "lower ball joints" 2 threads came up....including this one.

In the couple years I worked at a garage, I never saw a Honda require lower ball joints that wasn't in a accident or was poorly maintaned.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

^just cuz they're aren't any threads, don't mean its not happening, but it happens more often than u think. this also depends on where u live and driving conditions.
WhiteThunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

The car has never been winter driven and has only been in a very minor front end accident, resulting in a cracked headlight. I'm taking it to a mechanic before the end of the week to find out where the squeak is coming from and probably getting it fixed too.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteThunder on Aug/12/08
^just cuz they're aren't any threads, don't mean its not happening, but it happens more often than u think. this also depends on where u live and driving conditions.
I live in Pennsylvania, our winters are bad enough. I'd be pretty suprised if the TS comes back to say it's lower ball joints.

Ball joint's don't squeak, they bang.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Model: Trailblazer LT
Year: 2002
Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

I'm not sure about the cost, but the bushings seem like a logical answer...they aren't really super hard to change, this article will walk you through it...just upgrade to polyurethane bushings when you do...and make sure you put the jelly grease stuff on them too...keeps them from squeaking.
Malhon

2001 Honda S2000 - SCCA Solo B Stock
- FailinConcepts Racing
"One of the great things in motor racing is concentration. When I want to go faster I don't drive any faster, I just concentrate harder." - Jim Clark

sgtmillhouse648 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks. I don't think I'll be doing it myself, I don't have a lot of time and I need my car to get to work every day.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

when my lower ball joint went out i at first i thought it was my shock because when i would push on my front driver wheel area it would sqeak.well that same ball joint broke on me while driving.thank god i was goin up my driveway.
onekoopsta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Model: LS
Year: 01
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

dude to get prices on that stuff all you gotta do is call your local car maintenance or fix-it shop. =-O
muteinfocus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List