Team Integra Forums banner

98 LS Turbo build

7K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Nastynick626 
#1 ·
Well after my ls had sat in a shop for 10 plus years collecting dust and mouse tirds only originally parked due to a broken motor mount and life happening I have dug her out, put the motor back in and am beginning a boost build. I plan on this taking me between a year or two and have guestimated around 12g's to get it all done. Funny that is about what I paid for the car when I bought it. Many times I contemplated just selling the car but I could never bring myself to do it. The car has less than 100,000 on it, I'm the second owner and it was my first major purchase at the age of 20. This is my first full scale build and I plan on taking my time and not cutting any corners. I want this thing to be right when I'm done. I started buying parts a week ago, I'm looking to initially put down 300hp with room to grow. Going to enjoy her N/A in the meantime on sunny days if we ever get any here and build the other block I have on the side.

The List

Bottom End

B18B1 block purchased used $75
Arias 9:2.1 pistons purchased new $460
Manley H beam rods purchased new $310
OEM Oil pump purchased new $129
OEM Water pump purchased new $85
ARP Head studs purchased new $138
Gates Blue T-belt purchased new $78
Main bearings
Rod bearings
Thrust washers
Gasket kit
T-belt tensioner
Oil pan
ACT Ai4 HDSS clutch (undecided)
Flywheel (undecided)
Golden Eagle Sleeve, Torque plate bore, line bore, ARP mainstuds, cut o-ring quoted $1850

Top End

LS head
BC Stage 2 Turbo Cams (undecided)
Dual springs Ti retainers (undecided)
Adjustable Cam gears (undecided)
SS Valves (Undecided)
Valve Seals
Intake (Undecided)

Fuel Management

Hondata s300 with boost control
Walbro 255 pump
ID 725 or 1000 injectors (undecided)
Gauges and misc.
3 or 4 bar map
Tune by Speed Factory

Turbo

Looking at the Go Autoworks S-Race with either the GT2860 (disco potato) or the GTX 2867 still undecided looking for at least 300hp with room to grow.

Like I said planning on taking this slow so I have researched many many hours and counting. Looking for any insight out there and will willingly listen to suggestions.

See less See more
#4 ·
I was looking to start at around 300 give or take 25 hp but since I am going through sleeving the block and all that I was looking to be able to grow to 400 plus. Really I am fine with 300 to start with. I'm planning on the car being just a sunny day car so here in WA that is pretty much 3-4 months out of there year and then down the road maybe a drag car. I know that that is two different beasts. Eventually, as with anything one tends to want more. Is the GTX3071 sound more down my ally? Initially I was going to go with the Potato but have read a lot of nice things about the 2867 as well as the 3071. I figure that finding a turbo to cover the whole range is probably not likely but if i could initially find one that will produce 3-400 that would be great.

One question I do have is I figured ID 725's would be great for 300-400 could I get into ID 1000's and have them tuned to operate at 3-400 with the option down the road for them to sufficient for 4-500hp?

#5 ·
Yes, I think a 3071 would be a better choice, if you're looking to grow to 400, and a little more. The GTX version is a great choice!

Always go for the bigger injector. I remember myself being at 425ish with an 880cc injector, and they were almost maxed. I always like to go above & beyond when it comes to fueling. Injector Dynamics makes a GREAT injector. Take a look at their ID 1000's. Or if you feel like splurging, their ID 1300 is also a great injector. You'll still have stock idle quality no matter what you decide with.

Instead of a 255, opt instead for a 450. It's still a "drop in" pump, and the price difference is minimal (they're going for $105-$110 currently).

#6 ·
Man I really appreciate the advice! I was leaning towards the ID 1000's but wasn't sure. Your feedback pretty much answers that. Same with the pump. Now.......I will really have to look into the gtx3071. I was intrigued with the other 2 I spoke of due to their spool up. However with the amount of work going into the bottom end it would be a shame to limit the car to less than 400.

I started reading your build thread, pretty inspiring. Hats off to you for a pretty beautiful bad ass car. It was kind of like a book I couldn't put down I plan on finishing reading it at "work"...

I have the money to send the block off for sleeving but I don't want the block to sit in the garage while I'm collecting the money and parts for the head, fuel management, turbo and other odds and ends. Planning on just getting everything, then send the block off along with the rotating assembly for balancing. Next purchase in the next few weeks will be the ecu w/s300.

#7 ·
Few more things added to the list. Went with a Moroso 20910 oil pan and the ID 1000cc injectors. No I'm heavily considering the GTX3076 .63 a/r instead of the potato or the GTX2867.

Bottom End

Main bearings
Rod bearings
Thrust washers
Gasket kit
T-belt tensioner
Oil pan purchased Moroso 20190 $255
ACT Ai4 HDSS clutch (undecided)
Flywheel (undecided)
Golden Eagle Sleeve, Torque plate bore, line bore, ARP mainstuds, cut o-ring quoted $1850

Top End

LS head
SS Valves (Undecided)
Valve Seals
Intake (Undecided)

Fuel Management

Hondata s300 with boost control
Walbro 255 pump
ID 1000cc injectors purchased new $412
Gauges and misc.
3 or 4 bar map
Tune by Speed Factory

Turbo

Looking at the Go Autoworks S-Race with either the GT2860 (disco potato) or the GTX 2867 still undecided looking for at least 300hp with room to grow.

#8 ·
Crossed a few more things off of the list such as 3" exhaust, s300, clutch, flywheel, etc., etc.....Speed Factory recommended a local shop for the work on the block after sleeving so gonna save a few pennies there instead of having GE do all of the boring etc., etc. Still undecided on either Darton or GE??? I'm pretty set on the GTX3076 now which I plan on ordering within the next 2 to 3 weeks. Taking it as it goes.
Bottom End

Main bearings
Rod bearings
Thrust washers
Gasket kit
OEM T-belt tensioner new $70
Oil pan purchased Moroso new 20190 $255
ACT AI4-XTG6 6 puck sprung new $465
ACT Streetlite XACT 12 lb. new $175
Golden Eagle Sleeve or Darton $1250

Top End

LS head
SS Valves (Undecided)
Valve Seals
Intake (Undecided)

Fuel Management

Hondata s300 with ecu $465
Walbro 255 pump
Gauges and misc.
3 or 4 bar map
Tune by Speed Factory

Turbo
GTX30076

#10 ·
Not many options out there that I can find for the LS head. Would like to go Performer but I don't think or couldn't find on for an LS. I already have a Skunk 2 Pro Series with a 70mm Alpha throttle body might just stick with that until later. After a year or 2 I may go LSVTEC just for something to play with. But for this build I plan on going .5 oversize on intake and 1.0 over on exhaust valves with full PnP and grind job. I can almost taste it killing me seeing all the new parts sitting in the closet. lol

#11 · (Edited)
Nice list. Lots of work. Question, why were you planning to do a line bore? In my opinion, if you have a spun main bearing the best route is to just get a good used short block. Or at a very minimum you could just get a short block that had a spun rod bearing and only have to jet clean it. Never mind, I just noticed that you no longer list that task in your most recent "to do" list.

#12 ·
Updated 4-23-2017

Bottom End

Oil pan purchased Moroso 20190 $255
OEM T-belt tensioner $87
ATI Super Damper $320
Main bearings
Rod bearings
Thrust washers
Gasket kit

Top End

LS head
Crower 404 Cams $367
Crower Dual springs Ti retainers
BWR Cam Gears $130
Ferrea Comp. Plus Valves (+.1 Int. & Exh.) $350
Supertech Valve Guides & Seals $71
Intake (Undecided)
K-Teller 3" Exhaust $200
Skunk2 Mega Power 3" Muffler $152
Headgasket

Fuel Management

Hondata s300 with boost control $743
Gauges and misc.
3 or 4 bar map
Tune by Speed Factory
FPR
Fuel Pump

Turbo

Top Mount GTX3076 (.82) to be ordered within the next 2 weeks.

#13 ·
Well ordered the turbo setup and went with the gtx3076r .82 a/r put a major dent in the funds gonna start saving again to send the block off to Dayton and have the head work done.! However lol, my 2 year project has been cut down to a year. Can't stand looking at all the boxes of parts in the closet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.