Turbo an Automatic? - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb Turbo an Automatic?

Hi i just recently bought a 2001 teggy GS. It has an automatic transmission, now my question is should i turbo it or not? Why and why not? (What size of turbo im guessing it would have to be a much smaller turbo than normal people would use.) If yes then what turbo and what psi? First time with an automatic transmission and just curios if i can in fact add a turbo to it. Thank you.

Last edited by drmix; 03-06-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
You can but it will not last long under that abuse. That's why you hardly ever see automatic turbos...and the cost to beef up your auto far exceeds a 5 speed swap or an entire car swap.

2012 Mitsubishi Evolution X - 355 awhp / 350 awtq. Stock Turbo
2015 Lexus NX200T - Wife's Daily
2004 Honda Accord EX-L - Daily
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinKlemgold View Post
You can but it will not last long under that abuse. That's why you hardly ever see automatic turbos...and the cost to beef up your auto far exceeds a 5 speed swap or an entire car swap.
Thanks for that but what would you say could be some mods i can do to make it faster. I already did a cold air intake which i know doesn't really do much but i just want a some what fast car (atleast faster than stock). Thanks for the turbo advise tho.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Have you searched at all? You are severely limited by the automatic transmission.....that's why nobody buys those that wishes to modify them.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Best "upgrade" you could do for speed is to swap in a 5 speed transmission or sell the car and buy another with the manual already in it. Sorry to be a downer.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 01:26 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have to agree with JustinKlemgold.
By all means you can turbo an automatic. You wouldn't be the first or last.
But, the moment you start running that power through the auto tranny is the moment you start wearing it out. Sure you can beef up the transmission, but that will cost as much if not more than a turbo setup.
If you want cheap and easy power upgrades, then do intake, headers, and exhaust. If you want a car that's even more fun to drive, either swap in a manual transmission, or buy an integra that was already a manual. If you don't have the tools or space to do the work, buying one with a manual will be your best bet unfortunately.

After that, you can do intake, headers, and exhaust (or maybe a manual integra on the market in your area already has these upgrades).
If you want some more power upgrades, you will have to look into internals, and/or go for a nice turbo setup.

Personally I would love to try an auto turbo integra, that sounds awesome

A turbo build log should be called a turbo lag.
Get it? Heh heh heh...
...I'll show myself out.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretherman View Post
I have to agree with JustinKlemgold.
By all means you can turbo an automatic. You wouldn't be the first or last.
But, the moment you start running that power through the auto tranny is the moment you start wearing it out. Sure you can beef up the transmission, but that will cost as much if not more than a turbo setup.
If you want cheap and easy power upgrades, then do intake, headers, and exhaust. If you want a car that's even more fun to drive, either swap in a manual transmission, or buy an integra that was already a manual. If you don't have the tools or space to do the work, buying one with a manual will be your best bet unfortunately.

After that, you can do intake, headers, and exhaust (or maybe a manual integra on the market in your area already has these upgrades).
If you want some more power upgrades, you will have to look into internals, and/or go for a nice turbo setup.

Personally I would love to try an auto turbo integra, that sounds awesome
What about a supercharger instead of the turbo? same thing with he stress on the transmission????
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 01:44 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I agree with Justinklemgold, I had an auto integra (was my first car) blew the motor and decided to swap it for a gsr with LSD. honestly if I could go back, i would have either sold the car and bought something else, or bought an integra that was already manual. Doing the swap myself I definitely learned a lot but it isn't really worth it financially.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:47 AM

If you really want to go FI on an integra, you'll save yourself a lot of pretty much everything by ditching the automatic transmission. What do you even want to do with this car?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard1011 View Post
What about a supercharger instead of the turbo? same thing with he stress on the transmission????
Yeah. You can't double the power and expect that weak transmission to hold.

Honda's manual transmissions are legendary, however, in being able to hold 500 whp and up without any upgrades.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 12:08 AM

Im currently running a 97 RS stock Automatic with a 50 trim turbo. If you're power goals are moderate 200-240hp you can stick with your auto tranny. I love having no boost lag ?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ross View Post
Im currently running a 97 RS stock Automatic with a 50 trim turbo. If you're power goals are moderate 200-240hp you can stick with your auto tranny. I love having no boost lag ?
do you mind sharing your setup with us? I'd like to see how it was done and tuned. pictures would also be nice.

1995 Integra SE- RIP
1995 Integra GSR- RIP
1998 SSBP GSR Log
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Be prepared with funds when that transmission blows.
jjkz24 likes this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenickster5792 View Post
do you mind sharing your setup with us? I'd like to see how it was done and tuned. pictures would also be nice.
Stock Motor B18B
Stock Automatic Transmission

Mods:
255 lph fuel pump
550cc injectors
Greddy E-Manage Blue
.50 trim turbo
8psi Wastegate
and more thats just the main stuff

Runs rough when not under load (When in Park or Neutral) due to fact E-Manage can only trim the airflow by 20% and the injectors are a tad bit big for the box, but once I go into boost I have the fuel I need.

I will post picture when I get home
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page