purpose of air intake resonator - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2002, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

by removing the air intake resonator does it hurt or help the performance of my car cause now my car sounds like a helicopter at idle, idle is erratic and my car feels like it lost power in the mid but all that just could be my imagination too it sometimes likes to run wild my car is a 96 gsr
spiffieman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2002, 12:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Articles: 30
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

it's for noise reduction...you hear everything now...it's no big deal...
MichaelDelaney is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2002, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Articles: 3
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I know that on at least some tegs air doesnt even flow through the intake resonator, so remove away.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've actually heard something like if you remove it, you actually create more turbulance in the intake, which can stunt performance, any truth behind this? I'm actually thinking about removing my resonator, then buying a couple of pipes to make a cold air box... then again i hear that there aren't many gains out of a cold air box either, any input?
Old 10-10-2002, 01:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 9 reviews

there isnt a whole lot of gain out of whatever intake system you get. dont expect a drastic gain in hp by putting on a CAI, short ram, ice box, etc.
97teg is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2002, 01:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

"it sounds cool though"

Lol.... i beat all of you guys who were gonna put that.... sound makes it feel like you're going faster... lol... anyone have a link to the pictures of the dyno's that MD had up at some point?

The dyno's showed Stock intake, AEM, ice box? and a ghetto homeade one... link to thread anyone?
Lenn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2002, 02:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
tim

Feedback Score: 4 reviews

what about that little plastic j off the intake arm? is there a way to fill that with something else, or is it better to leave it, since it is a small part. I wouldn't want to just take it off...
tim is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2002, 11:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim on Oct/09/02
what about that little plastic j off the intake arm? is there a way to fill that with something else, or is it better to leave it, since it is a small part. I wouldn't want to just take it off...
yes, does anyone know what that J-shaped tube does thats connected to the bottom part of the intake near the TB?
Old 10-13-2002, 09:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
idle is erratic and my car feels like it lost power in the mid but all that just could be my imagination too it sometimes likes to run wild my car is a 96 gsr
Resetting your ECU is a good thing to do after a modification. Read how to do it in the articles section.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Model: GS
Year: 1998
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I removed my resonator a few weeks ago, didnt notice much difference, except, on the interstate, my car seemed to jump from 80-110.. didnt crawl like it used to? is that possible, or just my imagination?
Old 10-13-2002, 10:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews

The screws holding my resonator together are stuck. I ended up stripping the screws because they were in there so tight. The screws are still stuck there. Anybody know how I can get them out, all i wanna do is hear the un-resonated sound of my engine...
w3rtx is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2002, 11:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Model: Acura Integra GSR
Year: 1998
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

For those of you who think your car is faster without it are relying on the butt dyno...Did MD say anything about a performance gain?
JustinKlemgold is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2002, 01:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Articles: 30

Why re-invent the wheel and rewrite everything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by from [url="http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/ru3130.html"
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/ru3130.html[/url]]

What are we looking at? This is the hideous resonator assembly Honda has to use to keep the VTEC engine quiet enough for the normal driver. Thought you only needed a muffler on the exhaust? Think again, you're looking at the intake muffler. Seems that a motor which puts out 100hp/liter makes plenty of noise from the intake as well.

The most interesting thing is the path the air takes on its way into the motor. Notice at the upper right corner of the picture there is a white piece atop the black U-shaped tube. This piece is the first that the air sees, and it draws its intake air from the engine compartment, just behind the ABS unit! After passing through the white piece, it travels down into the black tube, and back up into the engine compartment into the airbox. What about the large grey piece in the middle of the black U? Air does not pass through this noticably heavy item, it is merely there to stifle resonances which would cause intake noise.

Autopedia has an interesting diagram of the resonator on the GS-R and the Type R, check it out:

http://autopedia.com/Acura/97_TypeRintake.html

Okay, aside from quieting down what could be the most beautiful intake noise I have heard yet, this apparatus does nothing for cold air, as it draws its intake air from the engine compartment. My solution? Yank it out. Let's get some fresh air in there and hear some of that beautiful intake noise!

The actual procedure is quite simple. Take out any bolt that holds the resonator assembly in place (you can see several in the picture, they're all 10mm) and pull the mess out. The only problem is removing the white piece, but I've done it three times, so it can be done. once this is done, you have some options as to what to do next:

Leave everything just as it is. This is the path Brian chose, and this works fine. While it doesn't direct cool air from the outside into the car, there is a large gap where the resonator was which easily allows air from the outside. It's certainly the simplest.

Re-install the black U-shaped tube after cutting off the upper section of the U visible in the above picture. This gives you a nice fresh air feed from the fenderwell, comparable to many aftermarket systems. This does entail cutting the U tube, however. If you wanted, you could always skip the cutting... you wouldn't be destroying a perfectly good part, and if you're concerned about water induction of a cold-air system, this will work like a nice little snorkel, keeping the intake out of anything but puddles deep enough for Jacques Cousteau to explore. (Just remember to tape off the opening in the bottom of the U.)

Quote: This is the method chosen by John Cloutier (GSRpm@aol.com):

I ran the ICEMAN for about 2 months......It sounded nice at WOT and seemed to work well - but only in the drylands configuration. I felt like I was losing a ton of low end torque with the short (wetlands) setup. So I took the hole thing off, and put a modified version of the stock system back on - CMH RU-3130 filter in the box, and with about one half of the long U shaped plastic tube cut off. I put a homemade airhorn (made from an aluminum dryer duct) on the end of what remained of the black U tube, and now I have a fully safe "cold air" induction system. It seems to perform just as well as the ICEMAN in the drylands mode, with out the negatives....droning sound on the highway, etc.....

And all that for $40 vs. the $200+ of the Iceman?

At the bottom of the stock airbox in an oval opening. It just so happens that the circumference of this oval opening is exactly that of a 4" diameter dryer hose. Yes, I measured. Therefore, you can use a 4" dryer hose, using something like duct tape to fasten it, to bring fresh air from the front air dam to the intake. This is what I chose. Does it build more horsepower than nothing at all? Not likely, but it looks cool.
This belongs in newbie oblivion. As I said, it's not a big deal. Certainly not enough to make a mountain out of this mole hill. Taking the resonator off is like taking your exhaust muffler off...it's job is to keep the sound down by inducing a lower resonance frequency and will slow flow into the intake tube. Aftermarket intakes (short ram and CAI) ask you to remove it anyway. You'll get some increase in power with the stock paper filter intake but it ain't anything to write home about. Please don't ask about removing the lid on the box and getting an increase on the dyno...it's a false increase. Keep the lid on, take the resonator off, swap to a K&N filter if you don't want to spend a lot of money on an intake.

Let's move on...shall we?
MichaelDelaney is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2002, 10:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

hehe, good post MD, butI believe that the answer to this question is that there is no purpose to the resonator... or maybe it's there to add weight to the car, honda wouldn't want us to spank the domestics too bad... lol
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List