Silver VS Iridium plugs? - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2003, 02:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

ok so first of all i know that spark plugs will not gain me any horse power and that platinum is really all i need for my car to be getting the most outa my plugs. but i read that iridium is the best material for spark plug electrodes (if the motor needs it) and then someone sent me this... http://www.nology.com/silver.htmland these guys at nology are claiming that silver is the best... now i know that they are either wrong or Denso,NGK,ect. are wrong... and my idea is that if silver were better than iridium they would never have made iridium plugs because silver would be easyer to machine intto an electrode thus making the efforts to obtain the technology to machine iridium a waste of time. Also nology claims it is better than platinum this makes me ask "if silver were better than platinum why would you make a platinum plug when the material would be like 10 times more expensive?"... well just wondering what everyone else thinks about nology's claims, maybe someone has some facts that would prove or disprove them?
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2003, 02:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Articles: 40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Nology has been known to make some gimmicky ignition products, so I'm very skeptical of anything ignition-related that comes from them.

The conductivity of the metal is one of the lesser important features of a spark plug. If you read our Spark Plugs Article you'll see alot of different things that affect how a spark plug performs that Nology seems to think they can throw out the window just because silver is a better conductor. If we look at the conductivity of the other metals, we see a discrepancy.

Zinc == 1.16
Aluminum == 2.37
Copper == 4.01
Steel == 0.70 - 0.82
Platinum == 0.716
Iridium == 1.47

So copper is obviously the best thermal conductor out of this list, 3x more than iridium. Does that mean a copper plug will outperform an iridium plug by 3x? No way. What about platinum? They look to be the worst on this list yet platinum plugs are preferred in alot of cases and will perform.

This quote from the article was rather interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from the Spark Plug Article
** Disregard any BS about the electrical difference of the metals - the micro-ohm difference in 0.010" thickness of Copper vs. Iridium means exactly squat when there is a huge air gap equivalent to tens of mega-ohms of resistance right there in series with it.
So I'm inclined to think this silver plug stuff is just a gimmick. I don't know the specific thermal conductivity of silver, but if it is a little more than copper, I can't see why it would make any difference when there are many other factors that go into making a good spark plug. Nology though seems to think none of these things are important and went ahead to make a poorly designed electrode and put silver on it.

I completely lose all respect for Nology's product with this little paragraph they have on their new plugs.

Quote: from Nology STOP playing around with spark plugs that feature fine wire electrodes, split electrodes, ring electrodes, multiple electrodes, platinum electrodes, copper electrodes, or gold electrodes, and get serious with silver electrodes! Silver is the best electrical and thermal conductor of any metal. This makes SilverstoneEthe best spark plugs in the world. Period!
Smells like BS to me.
#01-0379
SurferX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2003, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

someone open a window
98gsrfkr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2003, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Articles: 30
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

the window was opened a long time ago...the stink comes from the people who endlessly try to sell you something using hype instead of being straight forward using good science. sometimes they even try to sell you something that you don't need but get you to crave it so much out of nothing and without factual info, the less informed public bites (hook, line, and sinker).

don't be surprised if you see nology starting to do 3 am infomercials on TV.
MichaelDelaney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List