best engine swap for DA 1990 GS - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Model: Acura Integra GS
Year: 1990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question best engine swap for DA 1990 GS

OK i got 2500 tryin to put in my car. but only the engine what would any one here do been lost and dont wanna spend my money wrong. and i wont your best advice on this dont wanna be on the side of the road if you know what i mean.
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

If it were me i would pull the current motor and have it rebuilt. You could always add a few go fast goodies while your in there but that way when its allk said and done you can just reinstall the engine and not run into the normal swap issues that will blow your budget outta the water
Geetee74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Model: Special Edition
Year: 1996
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

You could probably come up on a VTEC motor of some sort for that price, if you change the kind of motor in your car, you'll also need to update other things like the ECU... do some setting of goals for the car and get back to us. I could recommend an old single cam but that probably won't fit your needs best. (Just a guess since you didn't give us any actual info).
tlangy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Model: JDM Teggeh
Year: 99
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

should be pretty straighforward dropping a b20 of some kind in, but im partial to them lol (theyre cheap and pretty much a direct swap in, at least for gen3 tegs, if you have a b18a1 in there it should be an easy swap, and you could possibly keep the ecu since the maps are close enough between b18 and b20)

echelonwarrior: i love how you just go down the highway at 100 sticking out of the sunroof shirtless

Every time matt works on my car he hands me a few bolts and tells me "here, you didnt need these" and sometimes his clutch foot doesnt work properly

Mutt's Log
mutt8588 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Model: GS
Year: 97

I just got my first DA about a month or so back and this is one of the first things I looked into. If I ever get to it (because my DA is my daily) my swap will be:

Stock 1994-1995 OBD1 B18C1 GSR engine mated to my current YS1 cable LS tranny (for comfy daily driver gearing, also then i wont have to deal with a cable-hydro tranny conversion as well as axel swapping)
stock 94-95 integra GSR ECU
Jumper Harness to go from OBD1a to OBD1b so i can use my stock wiring harness on the ecu and engine.
Only actual wiring I'll need to do is 5 wires. 1 for Vtec and 4 for oxygen sensors.

Its not a go-fast route, but its certainly faster then stock and Vtec is in the mix.

Oh and also its quite cheap. I figure this swap can be had for under $2000, hell maybe even around $1500 if u can find someone selling just a OBD1 GSR motor without a tranny.
For you since your DA isnt a 92-93 I believe your running OBD0. So you would need a new engine bay wire harness for it to work...I think anyway. What I mentioned above is the easiest B18C swap application for my car.
Granite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

well seeing that i just recently did this... i have a 91 LS (ODB0) just droped a JDM B18C in it... everything bolted up cept few parts...

have to change driver side mount to 2 bolt... extend IAT wire to plug in, wire VTEC, oil pressure (USDM), 02 .. and if you keep them IAB (Butterflys).. odb0 to 0bd1 conversion harness (most have extensions for the extra plugs). use stock injectors (yes they work)
and need to figure out temp sensor seeing that they moved it between OB0 and OB1.. i just cut and twisted them together so fan runs when ignition is on

will need new ECU, now im running a P28 with Hondata s300 on it. now i have ran a few basemaps for the motor.. and the ones i have gotten to work with no probs is the P61 (DA GS-R) P72 and P73 maps.

you should be set from there.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Model: Acura Integra GS
Year: 1990

thanks guys so many ideas. i got an ecu in mine also. but thanks how much should i spend on a ecu i shop on password jdm but do any one think ebay be a good place for an ecu.
jdm1990turbofreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List