R6 ITBs on a GSR? - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2009, 01:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

A buddie of mine has a set of R6 ITBs for sale that I was thinking about picking up to compliment my build. I have heard of cycle ITBs being used before but dont understand how to make them work on a car. Does anyone have step by step directions on how to install such a thing?
2001Teg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 02:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Year: 1999
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

there is a lot of work to take motorcycle itb's to retrofit them to a car application. this of course, does not mean that it cannot be done.

a few things i can think of:

1. the motorcycle intake port spacing is different than the b18c. the itb's would need to be disassembled to reflect the proper spacing and custom linkages would have to be machined to control throttle activation using the cable mechanism.

2. custom seats would need to be made to attach the itb's to the b18c head. this requires machining and/or welding.

3. custom velocity stacks need to be made/adapted from another application. requires more machining. also custom intake filters of some kind.

4. you need a full ecu to retune the engine. it is just about impossible to tune an engine with itb's using the throttle position vs. MAP method since there is no manifold air pressure. tuning using throttle position and rpm would work but there aren't many EMS's that i know of that can do this...(megasquirt can, motec can...). another option is to house the velocity stacks in a properly designed intake manifold (thus you can tune using the MAP), but this would have to be a custom unit as i do not believe there is a plug-and-play unit available.

5. your powerband will shift very high. itb's would best be paired with a high compression build with very aggressive camshafts to make use of the flow. this happens because the effective runner length created when using itb's is VERY short compared to stock. your stock gsr intake manifold has two stages that effectively changes 'runner volume' and makes the engine more streetable in most driving conditions.

6. i believe when using itb's, you can basically throw away the entire emissions system on the car since it is largly controlled by MAP. then again, if you have reached the point of using itb's on a setup, changes are the setup is pretty drastic and emissions are of no concern anyway.

turnkey itb setups cost a lot of money because a lot of research and machining goes into making them work. the theory behind itb's is pretty simple, but making them work, without the proper tools and knowledge, can become very expensive.

broinkrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 02:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

people take the trumpets and butterfly's from motorcycles and atack them to a cut integra IM.

few things, the trumpets are not gonna work well for the integra, and ITB's are a pain in the ass to tune.

changes in atmosphere can eff your tune up easily.

is this a street car or track car?

Forced induction is NOT a fix for bad VE

B18Ch1ck: I am making noodles,they probably handle better than a DC5
SniperX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 02:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

does anybody realize these are ITC's not ITB's. He did say bike carbs right? Anywho, yes the ITC spacing is a big problem, solved sometimes by using fuel tank filler hose to allow a flexible fit. Yes the carbs do respond to some more agressive cams, and they really love smooth flowing heads sand compression is a help. As for the filter, i have seen the stock air boxes modified to use a large conical filter. As for velocity stacks i know they help but are not neccesary. Fuel pressure is also not very high on ITC's this is solved by a fuel pressure regulator set at 4-5 psi. As far as ITB's I dont know, I do know bike carbs fairly well. I was mid swap on my crx when i trashed my motor ( bad timing belt ).
Old 06-06-2009, 02:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

the japanese bikes use ITB's, they have fuel rails and everything. all the bike engine ive seen dont use carbs. all efi ITB's with a plenum that's ram air fed.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Year: 1999
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

i've done quite a bit of work with the 600 cbr's and the 600 gsx-r's and they all became fuel injected at around the turn of the millennium.

as i said, a manifold really is needed so you can tune throttle position vs. MAP or else changing weather conditions will chnage your tune...now if you go with a full standalone like the megasquirt (very DIY) or the motec, they will adjust the tune on the fly based on the wideband o2 reading and the desired AFR.

and intake trumpets (velocity stacks) are needed. if you have ever tried to run a controlled experiment with and without, you will see the difference they make. i personally have run several CFD simulations using step lip intake ports and curved lip intake ports and the difference is considerably more than you would think...
broinkrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 02:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

yea, velocity stacks are a huge part of the whole IT pacakge. and for it to work properly wiht your setup, customs ones will need to be made.

unless someone just sells the trumpets for your engine with your mods.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Sounds like a pain in the ass. Seems like if I did get them to "fit", I would have a bazillion problems after that. The guy selling them said he used silicon couplers to attach them to a cut intake manifold but that seemed rediculous. The flow would be terrible due to the ackward bends and the "step" inside going from the intake manifold to the couplers.
2001Teg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Articles: 8
Feedback Score: 33 reviews

IIRC the GSXR750 is the ITB setup a lot of guys go for.

It's not worth it on a DD, quite frankly.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderlewolf on Jun/05/09
does anybody realize these are ITC's not ITB's. He did say bike carbs right?
bikes havent been carbureted since like 2001. All of them are pretty much fuel injected since the intro of the F4i in late 2000?
Kronik_Nuggz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

clicky
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List