broken heater core? - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2002, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

They other day when i entered my car i noticed that my passenger side floor was soaked in water. I figured that somehow when it rained that it got inside, but i mean there was gallons of it my whole carpet was drenched so it would have to be more than just a little leak.

Anyway the next day my car starts to overheat, turns out i had no coolent anymore. I was baffeled and my friend came over to diagnoss the car. He said that my heater core broke and that all the coolent drained into the car through the heater core.

We ended up topping off the radiator and i drove around for a day or so with the crakced heater core yet didnt notice any more water coming in. This i thought was a bit odd, yet either way i ended up bypassing the heater core for now by pluging the in and out lines together, but now i have no heater.

My question for you guys is this, did the afore mentioned senerio sound like a craked heater core? And if so how do i go about fixing it? Is it something that i can do in a day? Is it something i want to do? If not how much would an average shop cost to do something like this including parts and labor. As far as i know the heater core is located under the dash agaisnt the firewall and that the entire dash will need to be removed. Also last but not least has anyone else ever suffered this delima and if so how did you take care of the problem. Thanks for taking the time to read and answer any of my questions.
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2002, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Here is my experience(with a saab 900).A stupid guy I know owned the saab before me. so when he told me the heater core was messed up I said "WTF does he know?" He had the core bypassed. so hen I git the car home and started to flush thwe system. I routed the hoses the right way.... Well It turns out he was right. Water and coolant all over the drivers side. As for your situation. Not sure if the core would stop leaking after it leaked already. Maybe the hole got clogged with debris.but I'd make sure to have it checked/replaced asap.Keep the core bypassed until you can.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

cool thanks for the info.
JayDawg1039 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2002, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

sounds like a common gen 2 problem...it might not be your heater core...could just be a bad seal...its very common (my car did it). there is an article at the gen 2 club page that explains it all. here it be to save you the trouble:
Fixing Wet Passenger-Floor-Board

1st go to Acura or Honda and order qty 8 of part number 91608-SJ6-003. It is a small white rubber seal. They cost about $ 2.50 each 2nd remove the wiper arms and the wiper motor cowl. The wiper cowl is the long black panel under the wiper arms. Pop out the black circles and unscrew the white clips. You may also have to pull out the plastic pins under the rubber seal on the firewall side of the cowl. The panel is cumbersome. Use caution not to break the ends near the hood hinges. After you remove the cover there is another black cowl on the passenger side. This cowl covers the passenger cabin air intake. The leak is coming from the black plastic push screws that hold that cover on. When you remove the cover you can see the seals in the holes that the push screws were in. The rubber seal dry-rots over time and the sides split open. Water leaks in one drop at a time and adds up quickly. once you have replaced the seals you should be leak free for another 9-10 years.

2ndJenn*
jeffcoll@ages.com
Old 11-06-2002, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Wow. This is the first i've heard of this happening. Good piece of info.
lenguaso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2002, 09:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

I fixed a similar leak on 3 G2 Tegs this fall already, take this advice well. Also remember to check the color of the liquid in the car (antifreeze is generally green). Normally a heater core leak will not stop leaking until repaired. I repaired my leaks with silicone around the fastners, no more problems mon!
Old 11-13-2007, 07:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

This also happened to me once, when I took my windshield cowl off, I didn't snap the push-snaps in properly when I reinstalled it. I went through the car wash and green liquid drained all down the passenger side carpet. At first I thought it was coolant, but now I know it was green car-wash soap. Make sure that cowl is clipped in tight! I still have a problem with my heater, but I think it's from the thermostat and lack of heat shields around my engine and underbody.
Sevendale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007, 09:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

If it was a bad seal, that would not explain the car over heating. I'm going to say its the heater core
RCautoworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2007, 01:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Model: GS - Silver w/Black Leather
Year: 1999

OK... So now I'm confused. This whole time I have been assuming that since my car is continuously soaked on the passenger carpet... this is my heater core. But now you guys are talking about coolant leaking and I have no issue with that. My carpet gets a nice new coat of liquid (Im guessing water) every day regardless of if it is raining or not that day. So what is going on? I need some help ASAP because I want to get this done. I JUST replaced my carpet!
Blacklabel7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2007, 03:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

to the original post, i would really check the condition of ur ecu and dry it thoroughly, since its right under the carpet under the heater core!!!! my rev limiter screwed up after i found out i was leaking water from the cowl. and im not sure but i always thought u can just take off that peice of the dash under the glove box and get to it without taking out the whole dash but i could be wrong.
fwab78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2007, 01:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

So nobody has anything for me? If the heater core is out... is it normal to still be able to use the heater? Im pretty sure Im just missing the general concept of how a heater core works and what is in it so if anyone can give me the basic info that would be great... thanks
Old 12-22-2007, 02:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Articles: 4
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Seriously dude, just look a few threads down regarding the coolant issue.
You last visited: 12-01-2011 at 02:28 PM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 611 (total 250 allowed.)
Your PM box is 244% full.

Its been forever since I've been on here! And don't PM me as I intend to keep my box full so I don't get any annoying PM's!
FlatRate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2007, 10:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

Model: GSR
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

The heater core looks and functions like your rad - hot coolant flows through it and a fan pushes air through it's fins where its warmed and on into the cabin. You may still be able to get some heat in the car if the heater core is cracked (because some hot coolant is still able to pass through the core) but your whole cooling system needs to be sealed to cool the engine correctly, not to mention fogged up windows, soaked carpet, and that sweet smell of coolant.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Cool, that helps... only problem is... my coolant level has never dropped... so Im still a little confused. Im guessing I should look up some info on my drain lines for my sunroof... think that would be an option? Cuz for sure my trunk is getting flooded now and condensation is building up like mad back there too. I just assumed it was the heater core issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List