LSV back of engine oil leak - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Model: LS 3door Hatch. Ls/Vtec
Year: 91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default LSV back of engine oil leak

91 da with Ls/Vtec. I used the golden eagle oil line kit.

I have an oil leak on the back of the block, and it makes it appear to be an oil pan gasket leak. My half-shaft and driver axle have oil on them, also, under the golden eagle sandwich plate, its wet (just a slight bit, not very much at all).

I have a little oil on the bottom of my alternator as well. The head and intake manifold are dry, as well as the front of the engine, the top, and the sides.

The head gasket is not leaking, neither is the distributor or vtec solenoid.

Oil filter is on right, and not leaking, also I just replaced the gasket oring for the golden eagle oil line kit and it's not leaking.

Cam seals arent leaking, rear main seal isn't leaking because clutch and flywheel are dry.
Oil pan gasket has oil all the way around, and some of the oil pan bolts are oily and almost dripping.

Still, it doesn't make sense why the back of the block has oil on it, as well as the half shaft and driver axle.

I'm seriously thinking, that whatever it is, is getting oil onto the axle and halfshaft, and then flinging it up onto the back of the block and bottom of the alternator.
Maybe it IS the oil pan gasket...

I have another oil pan gasket (new), and am ready to install it, but I was wondering, all the things that AREN'T leaking:

1. distributor,
2. oil line kit,
3. oil filter,
4. seals (rear main, oil pump, cams)
5. breather box has a new gasket on it
6. head gasket
7. oil pressure gauge/line to gauge/t-fitting.
8. oil pressure sending unit (the one wire one)
9. head is dry
10. front of block and sides, are dry
11. Vtec solenoid and distributor are dry, all around.
12. heard is dry, all the way to the collector.

What else could it be?

Last edited by TegraNonvtec91; 11-23-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: missing info
TegraNonvtec91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Model: GS
Year: 1992

Start with what you know for sure, clean really good when you're done and re-check. Oil pan gasket is a very common leak these honda motors. Make sure you don't over torque the pan bolts, they don't take much. If you over torque the gasket will start to pooch out around the edges and you don't want that. personally I put a healthy bead of RTV on both sides of the gasket also as over torque insurance. Also your old gasket may or may not have some little metal grommets around a couple of the bolt holes in the gasket, if you do, they tend to stick when you remove the gasket and if left on, you'll be doing it again soon. Just remember, dont guess, test. Repair known problems before diagnosing unkown.
Craig92DA9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Model: Integra LS
Year: 96
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

You'd be surprised where oil goes when you're driving. I bet a lot it's just your oil pan gasket

- 94 GSR w/ LS-T (300whp/297wftlbs)
- 96 Integra (TOTALED)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the second opinions, Craig and Dan! I was thinking the same thing. It's not leaking but a little bit now.
Oil pressure hasn't went below 20 psi today, and also, last night when I took it for a test drive in preparation for today.

I went all the way from Danville Va to Alta Vista Va to visit mom and my bro for Thanksgiving, and I lost practically no oil, other than what seems to be a small drip.

I'm going to go ahead and drain the oil again, drop the pan, and replace that gasket with my new oil pan gasket. If that stops the leak, I will finally be free of oil leakage!

I appreciate every bit of assistance that everyone has given me on this website! So, thanks again for everything! I'll definitely post the results when I do this. Take care, and I hope you all have had a great Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Model: Supercharged LS
Year: 98
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

oil goes everywhere when you drive. drips off and then the air gets ahold of it. it usually goes in a backwards and down movement but it can go up and forwards depending on air circulation at that spot

spray it down with some brake cleaner and then drive and recheck
johnnymass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

You are going to think I'm crazy, but well, it isn't leaking anymore also haven't lost anymore oil.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Model: GS
Year: 1992

That being the case I'd run the oil you've got in it until its due for a change, then assess how much you've lost at that point. Its likely that your oil pan leak is more of a seep, very common, but it still wouldn't hurt to do it next oil change if for nothing other than peace of mind =P
Craig92DA9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

This is my first post here, but not at all new to the auto world or whatever you wanna call it.

I've done the Subaru thing, Volvo's, Rock buggies, Diesel tuning too. I promise this isn't an intentional thread jack but I just picked up a 92 GS-R B17a vtec with 127k miles extremely cheap. I don't really know all the integra terminology just yet but I was told that engine is fairly rare? Actually I don't know much about it at all but it ran great, was fun as hell but quickly noticed it had oil dripping everywhere.

Guy had no idea and thought it was toast said it needed a head rebuild, clutch bla bla bla. It definitely didn't so I bought it on the spot, beat the hell outta it for 200+ miles without it losing any oil. But it was soaked and dripping. Ruined 2 hoodies climbing under it a hundred times. It leaked enough that at points it would smoke when Id come to a stop from fluid burning off the exhaust. Cleaned,drove,looked repeat etc... used a small fortune in brakleen and shop towels. Thought oil pan, but it was fine. Never saw anything obvious anywhere else. Of course for a car that age it has a few wet spots but dang, this was bad. I knew I got a good deal, but wasn't particularly pumped about being covered in oil/grime for a whole weekend troubleshooting only to find out the block was cracked/head gasket blown or something stupid.

Well, it turned out to be the power steering pressure hose. It had a small leak down by the firewall at the crimp right where it starts its ridiculous amount of bends to get to the rack. It was under enough pressure that it just sprayed a fine mist of fluid everywhere without actually losing a lot of volume from the reservoir. It never did anything at idle in the garage but driving around with the RPM's above idle it definitely did.

Anyway, just a thought in case it's still wet when your next oil change comes up.

Last edited by codenamezero; 12-05-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: break up your sentence please
Nughuffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

That's good info to know! I'm not sure if it applies in my situation, but it's damn good to know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.