Team Integra Forums banner

Wheel Offset

67K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  strategist102 
#1 ·
Im still confused on how wheel offset works. The lower the offset is the more the wheel sticks out? Or is it the opposite? help :p

#2 ·
my understanding is.... 0 offset is the hub part ( where the studs go through the wheel) at the center of the wheel (width wise) So if you have a + positive offset the mounting point moves outward. Negative it moves inward. Hope that makes sense.

Example: You have a 7 in. wide tire with a 0 offset...You'll then have a 3.5 inch lip. since it's dead center. Like a Rota w/ a normal 40 something offset..doesn't have much of a lip ( you should know how most Rotas look) Now with a rim that has a big ass lip it would have a negative offset or very low offset.

I still don't know exactly how to factor in everything to get a certain look..like getting the rim flush w/ the body panel. I've actually never really looked into it. But hoped that helped a little. I'm sure more people will be able to explain it better and possibly have pictures

#3 ·
The offset is how far from the center of the wheel the mounting surface is "offset" or distanced. Positive moves it towards the outside of the wheel, and negative towards the inside. So the above example is correct.

Honda's typically have a fairly high offset in the mid +30's to high +40's even. Anywhere in that range will be fine if you are using a 7" or narrower rim. When you get wider than that, you need to be careful that the extra width that you're adding doesn't move inward towards your suspension components and interfere with operation during turning. But if you take too low of an offset (like +10 or something lower, let alone negative), you can end up having your tire hitting body panels when the suspension compresses, or if your ride is lowered, the inside of the fenders when turning hard.

one benefit of lower offset is that the wider stance it provides. Aside from the wider tires, the wheels will sit further apart from each other, which widens your base of support and increases handling, usually. Too wide of offsets and wheels can negatively affect your handling however by giving feedback thru the steering system - such as a jerk on the steering wheel from bumps or uneven roads. Also wider wheels will become unbalanced more easily. That however shouldn't be a problem with the wheel sizes that fit on the tegs - reasonably anyways.

So a safe bet for 7" wide rims would be a PCD of 4 x 100, with an offset of +42, but lower down to say +35 shouldn't hurt.

#8 ·
Very Easy:

0 offset = the wheel's mounting surface (with the holes for the lug nuts) is directly on the centerline of the rim's width.

Positive offset = the wheel's mounting surface is further towards the outside face of the wheel; between the centerline and the outside face of the wheel.

Negative offset = the wheel's mounting surface is between the centerline of the wheel and the inner most side of the wheel.

Draw pictures, its easier to visualize that way.

In such, Lower offsets will make the wheels stick out of the fenders more.

#10 ·

Hope this will help you understand a litte better. So pretty much the lower the ofset the further the wheel sticks out and the higher the offset the wheel will not stick out as far. Also usually the lower the ofset the bigger the lip is going to be.

#12 ·
ATegNamedXyla on Jan/19/10 said:
is offset good for anything? I really don't undrestand its point
You need to know it to make sure your wheels are going to fit. Generally you'll want a wheel that has an offset in the +40's range as they fit pretty much like stock. The new craze is low offsets and stretched tires however like the slammed craze it hurts performance and most of those cars are for shows and hard parking. Depends on what you want to do with the car.

#18 · (Edited)
Fellas if you are going to go with the flush look you will need to get some things to play. Camber kit and maybe a fender roll. If you don't camber in the 8 in wheel with 0 offset your ride will look like a mini monster truck.

If you look at my build thread you can see how far a 8 in rim will poke out.

I have 0 in the rear and +20 in the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.