Team Integra Forums banner

hatch opener not working

11K views 59 replies 32 participants last post by  mikeb01453 
#1 ·
i have a 98 hatch and to open it i have to turn my car off and use the key because that little lever, i don know what its called, to open is broken. what is it called? what could be wrong? i have a helms on my pc but cant find the part.

#7 ·
Jake1220 on Sep/09/05 said:
Dude, I got the same problem, I even took out the little motor for it and still couldn't figure it out, I just use my key

same here bro, i took apart the black thing with all the gears inside, i didn't know what was wrong but i knew it was that thing because the blue piece is slipping but i can't figure out how it works.

If you want more info on the topic, search actuator, the ones dealing with trunks/hatches are the ones with info.

wait, is your lever broke or the actuator, on mine the handle when pulled, makes the actuator whirrrrr but it won't catch and actuate

#8 ·
that blue piece, is a type of clutch (the best I could determine) and it went out on mine to. I jsut found someone here on TI a few weeks ago, selling an actuator for $25 and it fixed the problem. If you goto the dealer, expect to pay like $200-$300 for the part.. try online.

#10 ·
Same problem here man .. I just use my key. Sounds like it was just defective engineering .. You're not alone.

#12 ·
sneeedle on Sep/09/05 said:
that blue piece, is a type of clutch (the best I could determine) and it went out on mine to. I jsut found someone here on TI a few weeks ago, selling an actuator for $25 and it fixed the problem. If you goto the dealer, expect to pay like $200-$300 for the part.. try online.

025 74840-ST7-A01 ACTUATOR ASSY. 1 2000 Acura INTEGRA 72.84 58.27

$58 isn't bad, i'm just cheap.

#15 ·
using the key is a pain in the ass cuz if there is something in the back i have to turn off the car get out and open the hatch instead of just having someone open it with the lever and getting their stuff. it doesnt seem like this problem exicted before they changed the latch in 98. dont they have quality control over there? haha. to answer some questions even if its unlocked and i "pull" the little black lever nothing happens, no sound or anything. i think ima take it apart one of these days. to make things worse my alternator just went out and my cars in the shop til 6.i was on the freeway and i had electrical failure, abs and everything except motor. i think ima try to ghetto rig the hatch mechanism, if i get any decent results ill let you guys know.

#16 ·
checkout the thread i posted a little earlier. i have pictures of the part disassembled, in case anyone was curious or could figure out exactly how to fix it..

linky

#21 ·
okay so i finally got around to messing with the lever and i think ive made a breakthrough discovery. the black box that some of you guys have taken apart doesnt actually open the hatch. its my theory that when you pull the lever it sends a signal to the actual locking mechanism, where the latch hooks, and that actually unlatches the hatch. what the black box actually does is hold the latch in the unlock position after the the motor in the latch assembly unlocks it. if you look at the black box you can see that the that if the motor is activated while the latch is in the unlock position it will hold it there as long as the lever is held. i took apart the latch assembly and got confused as hell. imtheres another motor as i suspected and a gear that moves a lever that locks and unlocks the latch. theres also a switch that is activated by that same lever which i assume keeps the black box from functioning if the latch is locked. i didnt fix the latch assembly and my lever still doesnt work but i beleive ive made some progress. btw you guys didnt tell me it was such a pain in the sss to get the black box out. i had to unbolt the latch assembly and disconnect the levers from the keyhole and the latch assembly to the black box. if you guys have any questions or sugeestions pm me or im me @ ashramtheelf
thats for aim

#22 ·
Didn't take me long at all to take the black actuator out, there are four screws mounting it and once those screws are out, you just gotta move it around and i think pull the metal bar that the actuator hooks up to manually in order to slide it out. I didn't have to remove any of the latch mechanism.

If you have the black actuator out and hooked up to the harness, take put some force on the thing that spins and pull the level on the hatch to move it. That's how you test it, mine just free spins.

That's from my personal experience, i'm going off the parts diagram too, but i'm 99% sure it's that black actuator.

#23 ·
i was thinkin about makin a post about this the other day because mine broke at the beginning of the summer... it is so annoying to have to use my key all the time to open my hatch... i am glad that i am not the only one with this problem... now it seems i will have to go out and try to fix the problem, now that i see how some of you guys find what breaks on the hatch

#24 ·
has anybody ever put the older system (with the hatch release in their car) like the older G3s in place of this actuator? it wouldnt' be too hard to run this cable all the way back would it?

I just dont want to replace something that's gonna fail again.

#25 ·
would that work cuz isnt the new system some kind of interlock integrated thing? that would be alot easier though if it works, cuz i dont believe they had issues with those.
everyone has a slightly different problem with theirs. mine doesnt even make a sound when i pull the lever. like i said there is no way the black actuator unlatches the hatch it just holds it in the unlock position. the white acutator/latch assembly is what i beleive is my problem but its kinda complicated. anyone else wanna give it a try?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.