JDM B18C swap questions. - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
JDM B18C swap questions.

Hey all,

So, I have 2000 USDM GSR. The B18C1 in my car is burning a ton of oil and Im planning on taking it out and rebuilding it for boost (or maybe an NA stroker - still thinking on that one).

In the meantime, Id like to keep driving my car. So, I just ordered a 97 JDM sir-g B18c from Hmotorsonline.

Im ordering parts now in preparation to do the swap and Im searching for some advice about how to prep the motor before it goes into the car.

Here is a list of the stuff I plan on replacing before the motor goes into the car:

1) I plan on using my USDM ECU, so I was going to replace the oil pump on the JDM motor with an oem USDM pump so as to avert the issue arising from the absence of a CKF sensor on the JDM motor.

2) oil plan gasket

3) timing belt, tensioner, and water pump

4) clutch (new exedy stage 1 + resurfaced flywheel from the usdm motor)

5) valve cover gasket

Can anyone else think of anything else that I probably ought to do to the JDM engine before it goes into the engine bay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 07:05 PM

Garage
should just be a dropin swap, no need to switch out oil pumps, engine is 97 so its obd2, so should have the CKF sensor. my jdm gsr had it on when i got it.

'93 RS - Spun Rod
'91 LS - Folded Rear Subframe
'91 GS-L - Front Passenger Frame Shot
'95 RS jdm gsr swap on b16 trans - DD
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 06:32 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It does not hurt to swap out oil pump. If your going that far I would check to see if the bearings are ok and make sure the valves are not bent.

I would get a full gasket sealing set that comes with all the gaskets and seals.

Spark plugs and plug wires?
Distributor cap?
Timing belt tensioner?
Does not hurt to replace the rear main seal.

Under 2 more years left. I can apply for Historic Tags for my GS/VTEC Automatic and no more SMOG

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, that's a good point. I hadn't thought about cap and rotor and plugs and wires. The simplest things are often the easiest to overlook.

Mikimaru; this will be the first jdm motor Ive ever had. Do you know what year they started putting CKF sensors on the B18C in japan? I was under the impression from reading here that all OBD2a/b jdm motors lacked the ckf sensor.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 09:13 PM

Garage
im not sure if they lacked them or not, but when i ordered my gsr it was supposed to be all obd1 and it came with all obd2 on it, injectors and a crank sensor on the oil pump, since it went in my old DA, it all came off for obd1/0
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 10:04 AM

In for details, I'm currently going through the exact same thing. 2001 gsr burning oil/low compression. If I build it for power I'll have to tune it via an obd1 solution, & in Georgia I have to keep it obd2 emissions complaint to keep it registered.

Hence I'm looking in to swapping a jdm b18c and rolling.

stewarzi how was your experience with hmotors? If you've received the engine, what kind of condition is it in??
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarzi View Post
Yeah, that's a good point. I hadn't thought about cap and rotor and plugs and wires. The simplest things are often the easiest to overlook.

Mikimaru; this will be the first jdm motor Ive ever had. Do you know what year they started putting CKF sensors on the B18C in japan? I was under the impression from reading here that all OBD2a/b jdm motors lacked the ckf sensor.
From my research all usdm 96+ motors had the ckf sensor integrated into the oil pump, however none of the jdm motors have a ckf sensor.

So, you can either put the usdm oil pump on the motor (likely easier prior to dropping the motor in) or if you don't feel like switching the pump you can do the CKF bypass, detailed here: CKF Bypass Trick ? .:FFS TechNet:.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Hey Iceman. So far HMO has been great. I haven't received the motor yet though. I am supposed to take delivery some time next week. I'll see if I can post up pictures when it arrives.

I went ahead and ordered a whole bunch of parts from oemacuraparts:
oil pump and seal.
rear main seal
a new set of cv axles
timing belt, tensioner and water pump
distributor cap and rotor
oil pan gasket
valve cover gasket set

I just got the exedy stage 1 clutch yesterday.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

This will be my first big car project sitting in what workspace I was able to seize back from the wife. Im sure it is going to be an adventure. Ill try to keep the thread updated with pictures.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:32 PM

Any updates? You get the motor yet???
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Still waiting. It should get here this afternoon. Hmotors uses a freight company called R&L carriers. They are not the fastest.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

The motor just got here a few hours ago. It is encased in a cocoon of plastic wrap. Ill post more pictures when I get time to unwrap it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 7.47.55 PM.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	75009  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 12:51 PM

That is for sure a giant cocoon. Looking forward to seeing the butterfly inside *har har har*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page