Team Integra Forums banner

Engine Misfire

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jjkz24 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here's the video:

1998 Integra GS-R with 220,000 miles (all mine) on original engine. Owned her since new (I'm pretty attached and a bit emotional right now!) I was racing along the other night on an empty road with another GS-R, and right around 8000 RPM lost a lot of power, cylinder misfire codes came on (for 2,3,4, multiple, and p1399), and I had to limp home two miles in panic and shame.

I checked the timing and it was fine. I replaced the rotor, cap, and plugs because they looked really bad, and I checked/adjusted the valve clearance while I had the cover off. This video is from after that work, but it was making the same noise before. Something is obviously striking/colliding, and it sounds like the top end. You can also hear its frequency is about 8-9 times a second, half the rpm of 1,100 or 18 rotations a second, so it's probably cam/valve related.

Can you guys tell me what's up? I'm guessing I fried a valve.

#2 · (Edited)
I changed your title. Your original title of "Oh !@#$... What's wrong with my car? (Video included)" does NOT help any other members who may be searching for similar issues with their car.

Your engine is mis-firing. Your codes you have listed above is telling you that. Start with doing a compression test on the motor. Follow it up with the link below, in diagnosing your ignition. I bet your fried your ICM

Compression Testing 101: FAQ / How To

Advanced Ignition Troubleshooting

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice and the title change.

I checked the ignition, and it's working correctly. I did a compression test (cold), and cylinders #1, #3, and #4 are all around 150PSI, while #2 is 30 PSI. It looks like I must have cracked/broken/burned an exhaust valve in #2.

Now I need to figure out what to do about it. How hard is a top overhaul? Is it advisable?

Edit: I suppose this could also be a bad piston ring, but either way, I'm going to at least need to take the head off, right? At that point, I should be able to identify if it's actually the valve or the piston ring.

#4 ·
Sounds like you bent a valve. When you were driving and shifted at 8K rpm, are you sure you didn't mis-shift from 3rd to 2nd and over-rev?

If you did bend a valve, the head will need to go to a machine shop, and new valve replaced (if the cylinder head is still salvageable)

With the cylinder head coming to inspect the damage, now is the time to start thinking about what else to do. How many miles are on this engine? What are your future goals with the vehicle? With the engine coming a part, maybe you want to build it. Again, how involved you want to get is completely up to you and your budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.