94 integra wont crank - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
94 integra wont crank

Hi, I have a 94 integra RS and it won't crank. Battery is good. Don't hear the fuel pump working either. When I turn the ignition I don't get any test lights for battery, oil pressure, or engine check like I normally do. All the bulbs in the gauge are good too. How can the battery light not be on if I'm running off battery? Really strange..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 10:39 PM

Garage
check connection at battery? if not then check fuses if your not getting any power inside at all.

'93 RS - Spun Rod
'91 LS - Folded Rear Subframe
'91 GS-L - Front Passenger Frame Shot
'95 RS jdm gsr swap on b16 trans - DD
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 02:00 PM

Check your relays

"Dude, I almost had you" -Paul Walker

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Today, I tried to start the car after not touching it for about a week. All the lights came on as usual but didn't start. I even heard the fuel pump prime. Turned off ignition and tried again. Problem came back.

All the fuses and relays are good. I forgot to mention that I am getting power inside the car. The only lights I get on the gauge cluster are brake, maint required, SRS, and seat belt. I know that when you are running off of battery before starting the car, the battery light should be on but it's strange that it wasn't. PGM-FI relay and plug tested good. It's got to either be the ECU or ignition switch. Something that tells those 3 lights (battery, oil pressure, or engine check) to turn on before starting. Any other thoughts?

Last edited by htownteg; 12-30-2016 at 03:21 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:37 PM

likely time for an ignition switch replace,
only about 50 clams if you diy.
try cleaning it just to see what happens:

DIY Ignition switch cleaning
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:02 PM

What he said. The ignition switch is prolly the culprit. Before you take apart the ignition check the clutch safety switch. There's a plastic or rubber piece at the top or the clutch pedal the presses the button to tell the car it's in neutral. Press that button and try to crank it. You may need a screw driver to press it since it's up there pretty good
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:22 AM

Garage
Check the main relay, solder breaks and does not make a good contact

www.plantsnshrimps.com
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:58 PM

Articles: 1
Bad main relay solder joints will cause the car to quit running and not start intermittently. The starter will still crank, however.

If this has been an intermittent problem where sometimes the starter will crank and other times it won't, look at the ignition switch or starter relay.

If this is a manual transmission car that never had a problem starting and now it won't start at all, it is likely your clutch interlock switch pedal stopper. Look on your floor for small soft plastic pieces, off-white in color. If you find these, this is your problem. The part number is 46505-SA5-000. These are cheap and I recommend keeping spares in your car.

There are three of these pedal stoppers in a manual transmission car:

The clutch safety interlock switch engages its pedal stopper when the clutch pedal is pressed to the floor. If the pedal stopper fails, the starter won't crank.

Another switch engages its pedal stopper when the clutch pedal is all the way out. If this pedal stopper fails, the cruise control won't work since it thinks the clutch pedal is depressed.

The third switch is the brake light switch which engages the pedal stopper when the brake pedal is all the way out. When this pedal stopper fails, your brake lights will stay on and cruise control won't work.

While surfing Team-Integra.net I listen to Pandora.com
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
likely time for an ignition switch replace,
only about 50 clams if you diy.
try cleaning it just to see what happens:

DIY Ignition switch cleaning
It was the ignition switch after all. I checked continuity like the manual specified and discovered there was no continuity between one of the connectors. Plugged them back in and wiggled the ignition switch cables and it worked but made my gauge cluster warning lights flicker like crazy. Probably a bad wire somewhere (there wasn't anything obvious I could see). Ordered a new ignition switch from Amazon for $27. Installed it and the fuel pump primed. First try, it just clicked. Tried again and it struggled but finally cranked and started. Hope the starter isn't going out. It was also like 16 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androsk View Post
Check the main relay, solder breaks and does not make a good contact

Plants & Shrimps - Plantas y Gambas de agua dulce
Initially, I did think it was the main relay. I looked at the solder for any breaks but couldn't see any. I ordered a used one off eBay anyway but nothing changed, so I looked into troubleshooting the ignition switch.

Thanks everyone for your advice and input. I hope this will be helpful to someone in the future.

Last edited by htownteg; 01-15-2017 at 12:30 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR_Tuning View Post
What he said. The ignition switch is prolly the culprit. Before you take apart the ignition check the clutch safety switch. There's a plastic or rubber piece at the top or the clutch pedal the presses the button to tell the car it's in neutral. Press that button and try to crank it. You may need a screw driver to press it since it's up there pretty good
Funny, I forgot to mention it's a manual but you knew anyways. I thought about that but the clutch safety switch wouldn't affect the gauge cluster warning lights not testing and the fuel pump not priming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page