Team Integra Forums banner

95 Turbo GSR wont start..

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Polonczyk 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, so my turbo GSR was running the best it ever had about 3-4 weeks ago. I noticed the rear motor mount bolt had popped out, so I tightened it up.

In the process I broke off a fitting in my FPR, specifically my vacuum fitting in my AEM adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I removed the FPR and brought it to a machine shop to have the fitting removed. I marked the adjustable part of the FPR so I 100% know that it has not been adjusted to a different setting when they were removing the broken fitting (it took them not even 2 mins to remove it, so I know they didnt monkey around with it).

I replaced the broken fitting with the correct fitting from AEM and in the process of reinstalling I lost the O-ring to the FPR in my engine bay. I did a small amount of bay detailing while looking for that O-ring, never found it and replaced that with the correct O ring from AEM.... Now the car wont start...

Symptoms
-At first, cranked everytime
-Seemed like it wasn't "catching"
-At first, I would be able to sometimes get it to "catch" and run (only by gassing it to keep it from dying, and it would run reallllyyyyy rough, the moment I let off the gas it would die)
-When started good amount of white smoke from exhaust and some from engine bay
-Now, the car cranks about 50% of the time and it wont "catch" at all....
-No constant CEL's, but will occasionally flash a CEL at me while in the process of trying to crank (especially if its really struggling to crank)
-When trying to repeatedly crank im getting a small amount of white smoke from the bay

What I've looked into
Checked all sensors
Checked firing order (dizzy wires)
No fuel, vacuum, coolant or oil leaks
Checked fuel pressure seems normal ~50-60PSI and I can hear the fuel pump turning on
Double checked all connections on the fuel pressure regulator, adjustment was not touched
Checked/refilled tranny fluid (just in case)
Checked battery terminals
Tried to look into it with SManager. Doesn't look like im recording any error codes..

So im getting fuel pressure, so I can rule that out of the equation, I think it may be something related to ignition/spark. Maybe my dizzy? I'm really hoping that I didn't get a metal shaving in my engine from all the FPR monkey business.. I did run water through it, hit it with brake cleaner and let it dry out though..
I retraced my steps and couldn't find anything at all that would cause this. I'm losing my marbles over this one... Please help me out T-I!

See less See more
#2 ·
The catching and running very rough when giving gas and dying when let off definitely seems like an ignition or fuel issue. Id check your timing for sure. Also since its easy to check, check for spark at each cylinder as it could be a misfire or even two. Sometimes things just break at the right time to trick you. Check your resistance in each ignition wire with a DMM. Clean with rubbing alcohol each point on the distributor and spark plug then reseat all the wires ensuring you hear and feel them click into place. I would even clear out your combustion chambers in the process of checking the plugs, just crank the motor a few seconds while no spark plugs are in, just make sure you have all the ignition wires off the distributor first so they don't short. That will blow out any fuel or foreign object that may have gotten into the head(hopefully before any damage was done if something did get in there) AlsoYou checked your fuel pressure and fuel pump but I didn't see you say you checked your injectors. Check for flow out of each of them. If there was something in the FPR it could have made its way to an injector and could be blocking it. After you do all this reset your ECU and give it a try.

#3 ·
Thank you for the reply, this is exactly what I was looking for!!!!!

As mentioned, I think I might be able to rule out my fuel system for now.

I eyeballed my timing and my dizzy has not moved (it was already marked from my tune in spring).

Things to check -
spark at each cylinder
resistance in ignition wires
clean dizzy and wires
check injectors
clear combustion chamber

I'll get back to you on how all this goes, thanks again buddy!!

#4 ·
Just a quick update, in the past week or so I've had a few friends over to look it over with me and see what they think. We've come to the conclusion that the problem is fuel related based on a few things -
Smell of fuel coming from the bay after trying to crank it a few times, although no obvious leaks near the FPR, injectors, fuel filter or any of the lines?!?!?
When cranking over it doesn't sound like there's spark or ignition issues
Fuel pressure drops after trying to crank, when cranking is at about ~50-60PSI. Is fuel pressure to remain the same?!?!
Fuel problem may explain why it's not "catching", but sounds like its cranking fine

Based on what we found my buddies only suggestion was to replace the FPR. I'm not exactly keen to just start throwing parts at it and I am definitely going to try what was suggested earlier before I do anything else.

#5 ·
Found the issue. Map sensor had a wire that came loose... For some reason my map sensor is spliced. It must have came loose when we were working on the motor mounts.

Teg is definitely running the best it ever has after all the diagnostics/cleaning/adjusting. Incredibly smooth idle, I was having issues with slight idle hunting previously.

Thanks again @Polonczyk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.