Team Integra Forums banner

Transmission noise! (Video) Please help!

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Sr1239 
#1 ·
Greetings, I've had this weird high pitch whistling that sounds like it's coming from the transmission for the past few weeks. My car is a 94 GSR with only 109K. When I depress the clutch pedal it goes away. I've done lots of research on what it could be all over forums and YouTube and can't find any video that has the exact noise mine is making.

Most people say that it is the input shaft bearing if the noise goes away when you depress the clutch pedal. However, all the videos I've watched about Honda/Acuras with bad input shaft bearings they do not sound anything like what I'm experiencing. They are more of a marbels/metal being thrown around the in transmission. Mine isn't like that.

I've changed the transmission fluid with Honda MTF about 1000 miles ago. The car is all stock except cat back exhaust, just an FYI. Anyone know what this noise could possible be?

Here is short video of the noise, I can do another/better video if need be: http://youtu.be/a5sZ7v2qz4E

#3 · (Edited)
How do you know it's the throw out bearing? I've researched about a bad throw out bearing as well. The problem with my results is half of people say input shaft bearing and the other half say throw out bearing... Which is it???? In just about every thread somebody says that if it makes noise while the clutch is depressed than it is the input shaft bearing. Leading me to believe it is that. I wanted to see if anyone else has had this same noise.

#4 ·
I heard nothing in that clip that sounds like a bad ISB or TOB.

In the car, at idle, trans in neutral. Is there noise?
Push the clutch pedal in. Is there noise?

Answer back and you'll get what you need.

#6 ·
I did another video today, it is very windy out which makes it hard to hear... But you can hear the noise when I walk up to the engine. It's a high pitch noise. If you listen carefully you can hear it go away when I push in the clutch. My camera has a hard time picking it up on video because it's a lot louder in person. Btw, my console is apart because I'm replacing the lens on the gauge cluster.

http://youtu.be/t2tvPWNBgzM

#8 ·
All I could hear with my megabuck headphones is a tiny whir right before you pushed the clutch in the first time. Your exhaust is kinda loud, and obscuring the noise I think.

How does the pedal feel when you push the clutch in?

Generally, if the noise is present with the pedal out, it's the ISB. If it's noisy with the pedal depressed, it's the TOB.

#11 ·
The slave cylinder was making the noise! Replaced both the slave and master cylinder today, the master was leaking too so good thing I did.

I have another question, my clutch pedal seems to engage really low, about 1" off the floor and it is engaged. Is that normal? I know there is an adjust for the pedal and all, but my question is where should the pedal engage? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.