car sputters, feels like dying after 10 sec of idling - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default car sputters, feels like dying after 10 sec of idling

Ok i have a 1995 integra ls automatic. this past weekend i did some work to it, and ive been getting better throttle response and it seems to have a little more "giddy up". here is what i have done:

Cleaned throttle body
cleaned fitv valve
put a breather filter on valve cover and plugged the hole in my SRI

I broke a bolt in the FITV, so i just bolted it back to the TB with 2 bolts and put it all back together, when i started it, my idle started surging and my exhaust seemed to get louder, and the fumes seem to smell alot stronger. The next decided to bypass the FITV because it had started leaking coolant anyway, so i put some gasket material between it and the TB and bolted it up with 3 new bolts and ran a coolant line straight to the IACV.

After i put everything back together, it of course idled rough while the engine was cold, but once it warmed up it still idles a little funky and hesitates a lil bit until i get on it. I went and replaced the plug wires with new NGK wires (i still had the stock ones on), and it started to run better but not quite 100%. The next day i put a new cap and rotor on, and couldnt get spark so upon further inspection the ignition coil was bad(also stock, reading 8.6 ohms, supposed to be 12.6-19.6k ohms). I replaced that and got it to start back up.

Now my question is, why did doing this cause my exhaust to be louder and sputter at times? Also the fumes smell alot stronger. I know my cat is clogged, and ill be replacing it shortly. And also, once my car warms up it will idle fine for about 10-15 secs, then the rpms will drop really low and almost stall, but the will start rising and falling until i get on the gas again.

Im thinking i need to clean the IACV, but does anyone else have any ideas?

thanks!
chrissm14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Model: SE automatic
Year: 96
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

i would have cleaned both anyways.......specially if never done before.........but a leak on the throttle body will cause all kind of wierd idling probs.........spray some carb cleaner when running to ensure no leaks.....or the throttle cleaner u used......also did u back out the fitv valve a half turn........all the way down in out a half turn...........good luck
optimalbeing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimalbeing View Post
i would have cleaned both anyways.......specially if never done before.........but a leak on the throttle body will cause all kind of wierd idling probs.........spray some carb cleaner when running to ensure no leaks.....or the throttle cleaner u used......also did u back out the fitv valve a half turn........all the way down in out a half turn...........good luck
I sprayed the tb cleaner all around it and couldnt find anything, so i dont think a vacuum leak is the problem. i put gasket material in between the fitv and tb, and ran the coolant hose straight to the iacv, completely bypassing the fitv. it seems to be running very rich because the exhaust sputters like there is extra gas being burnt off, i just dont see how cleaning my tb and bypassing the fitv could cause it.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I would replace the IACV. I had a very similar problem and that was the it. But also make sure that you by a gasket when you replace it.
(00 Voltage Blue LS- SOLD )
(00 Black Pearl GS-R- My Baby)
(92 Frost White RS- SOLD)
(90 Jasper Green DB1- SOLD)
(87 Frost White LS- SOLD)
(91 Melbourne DB1- SOLD)

9 And Counting!!!!!
--Crash-- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

ill try cleaning the iacv in the next few days, i just dont see how that could cause my fuel/air ratio to be super rich. my exhaust smells like almost straight gas now, and my tailpipe is black, and a few days ago it was only slightly dirty. Also, i usually get around 240-280 miles per tank, but i just filled up yesterday, drove 35 miles today, and its already down a quarter tank. WTF

I also plugged the hole on my intake and put a breather filter on the valve cover hole, does anyone think this could be a problem? i know a few people who have done the same thing with no issues.

Last edited by chrissm14; 04-09-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

update: i got to work this morning and was early so i decided to check my cel for any codes, even though it wasnt lighting up. I got a code 3, MAP sensor electrical malfunction. Later on my break, i started the car and it was acting up like normal, but i unplugged the MAP sensor and TA-DA! it started idling fine at 1200( i need to ajust my idle screw), the exhaust stopped sputtering, and it drove normal and strong. I tested the voltage to the sensor and everything was around 5 volts, so that checks okay. how do i go about testing the actual sensor? Also, when in park, the idle sometimes revs high to 2000 then drops back to 1000, then back up to 2000 and so on. Once its in gear it stays at 1200 no matter the engine temp(i bypassed fitv so it doesnt idle higher at cold temp). And also when im driving, if i let off the gas for like 5 seconds, then go to get back on it, the car bogs down and i have to let off the throttle then press it down again and it accelerates fine. Would this be just a problem with having no map sensor hooked up?

EDIT: ok i reset my ecu with the map sensor plugged in, and now the cel is not throwing the code 3. HELP

Last edited by chrissm14; 04-10-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List