why does my car start rough after sitting for a few days? - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 01:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Model: Ls
Year: 1995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default why does my car start rough after sitting for a few days?

i parked my car at home for a few days and when i went to start it cranked over rough and idled bad for a few seconds then it was normal.

what can be the problem?
can it be leaky injectors , bad o-rings?
dcparg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Model: DB8 GS-R Type R
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I got this one!
problem- car sitting and then starts rough sometimes almost wanting to die.
reason - oil draining down to the oil pan and or not thick enough to stay in the engine while off
solution - never run anything lower than 5w30 non synthetic or 10w30 synthetic.
2) if you dont drive for a few days or longer its ALWAYS a good idea to pull the ECU fuse from under the hood, crank it for about 20 sec. (you will hear the compression go back up) replace fuse and start.
3)of course make sure your oil is never to low

I am running royal purple 5w30 bc it was almost winter and I thought i was going to drive it during winter. However synthetic is thinner and 5w is thinner than 10w so trust me when I say 5w synthetic is WAY to thin to run. I will be switching back to 10w in about 1k miles. Running thicker oil will quite your engine noise down a little as well ie. ticking or other head noises.
98 Lude -Show Car -Not adding anymore mi (26,000)
92 Teg -FS
94 Teg -WW/Track DB8-R
97 Civic -B20T....IT LIVES!!!
H.E.A.R.T.
Whc c yu
camc3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Why would oil grade have anything to do with a rough start?
Tegcrazy84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Model: GSR (NH-503P)
Year: 1994
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by camc3r View Post
I got this one!
reason - oil draining down to the oil pan and or not thick enough to stay in the engine while off
2) if you dont drive for a few days or longer its ALWAYS a good idea to pull the ECU fuse from under the hood, crank it for about 20 sec. (you will hear the compression go back up) replace fuse and start.

I am running royal purple 5w30 bc it was almost winter and I thought i was going to drive it during winter. However synthetic is thinner and 5w is thinner than 10w so trust me when I say 5w synthetic is WAY to thin to run. I will be switching back to 10w in about 1k miles. Running thicker oil will quite your engine noise down a little as well ie. ticking or other head noises.
I don't think this is 100% correct. From my understanding most engine damage occurs during startup. During this time the parts aren't fully lubed since the oil pump hasn't pumped any oil yet. I would think it would take the thick oil longer to reach the point where its needed. Synthetic is definitely the way to go.

What oil is the OP is running?

I've found from past experiences that the tighter you plan, the more likely you are to run into something unpredictable. *MacGyver "The Heist"*

"Live Action"
gsrider004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Model: GSR
Year: 96
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Why would you want to pass bad information?

Quote:
I got this one!
5w30 is 5w30 is 5w30! Doesn't matter if it's synthetic or not. It's a measurement of viscosity (how quickly the oil flows), not some arbitrary number. Oil is going to drain to the pan. Gravity does that. I'm sure the engineers at Honda took that into account when they recommended 5w30 for these engines.

Quote:
Good to know! In more than 21 years of driving, sometimes leaving a car sit for weeks, this is the first time, I've ever heard someone suggest this, let alone claim that it is "ALWAYS a good idea". To me, this sounds like nothing more than putting a band-aid on a larger problem. That's fine, if the goal is to get by for a few more weeks, but it will not fix the problem.

Quote:
See above.

My '96 DC2 My girl's '98 DB8
Drache is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Articles: 11
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Is fine to run either 10w30 or 5w30... personally i'd run the thinner one... they gets to where they suppose to be quicker... running a slightly thinner oil is also better for colder weather. Also, thicker oil doesn't mean it gives you better protection, just because you "think" its thicker so it sticks on it and thus provide protection... This is a good read

If anything that would cause your engine to run rough for a first few seconds, is because all oil had been drained back to the oil pan, and it takes a few seconds for the oil to fill up the pump and system etc... and slightly thinner oil will definitely help the oil get to where they need to be quicker.

Also looking at this chart, i wouldn't worry about using 5w20 or 5w30 for B/K-series engine.

Last edited by codenamezero; 09-13-2011 at 05:08 PM.
codenamezero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Model: Supercharged LS
Year: 98
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

I am interested in this topic for the fact that once I put my supercharger on, I noticed hard starts after the car has sat over night. And with the weather cooling down, I notice it alot more. With that said - it only happens on the first start of the day or after my car has set for long enough to cool off completely.
I have a feeling that it may be a lack fuel pressure related (i.e. it falls off overnight or after extended sittin time). Can anyone back up my theory?

Background on my setup - Stock fuel system (worked perfect before the SC), brand new battery, starter in working order
johnnymass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Model: JDM Teggeh
Year: 99
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymass View Post
I have a feeling that it may be a lack fuel pressure related (i.e. it falls off overnight or after extended sittin time). Can anyone back up my theory?

Background on my setup - Stock fuel system (worked perfect before the SC), brand new battery, starter in working order
that should be taken care of when your fuel pump primes before you start the car, shouldnt it?

echelonwarrior: i love how you just go down the highway at 100 sticking out of the sunroof shirtless

Every time matt works on my car he hands me a few bolts and tells me "here, you didnt need these" and sometimes his clutch foot doesnt work properly

Mutt's Log
mutt8588 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Model: Special Edition
Year: 1996
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

i wouldn't think the oil would have much to do with how the car was idling unless there was a very serious issue. idle is really related to combustion and oil is lubrication. while obviously tied in with each other, these two systems effect different things differently. if there's a rough idle that gets cleared out, i'd say it's an issue with air, fuel or spark. really only time oil would affect idle quality would be at 20 degrees or lower... hows your fuel filter, spark plugs, wires? how cold is it where you are?
tlangy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Model: 98 lsvtec B18C5

^ I second the above comment.

Hold your key in the "On" position for a few seconds if your car has been sitting for a few days to let your fuel system fully prime. Then start your car.

could be a dirty fuel filter, or bad check valve allowing fuel to leak back into the tank.

If that doesn't help at all, check your plugs.

Do the easy simple things first, then get into the bigger stuff if you have to.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Model: GSR (NH-503P)
Year: 1994
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

If you are parking outside you might have some condensation build up due to changing overnight temperatures. Check the items in the comment above^
gsrider004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Model: Supercharged LS
Year: 98
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Its not cold. Im in OK and it was 50-60 degrees for a few mornings and the car started extra rough but once it started it idled fine (fast idle that is)
Ive started to leave my key in the on position for a few seconds before i start the car. Yet still the same problem. I have one or two step colder plugs (possible problem right there?)
fuel filter was changed at about 100k. so its due but I dont believe it is the cause since it started after the SC
where is the check valve and whats the best way to test it?
ill make sure to check all the plugs and wires. ive been needing to check them after about 500miles post boost.
johnnymass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List