B18 C1 Wont start. Getting Fuel no spark though. - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Model: GSR
Year: 2001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default B18 C1 Wont start. Getting Fuel no spark though.

I have a 2001 Integra GSR. I had the engine bay washed recently which caused it to immediatly begin idling so low that it would nearly cut off, then the next day it just shut off while I was checking the injector plugs. It turns over and pumps fuel through but there is no spark. I think have narrowed it down to either the distributor or the coil but am not sure how to be sure which it is. I've also been told to check my ICM and main relay but am not 100% how to check those either.

Also I have someone offering to sell me the whole distributor with the coil and cap included, but its off a '96 LS b18 b1 Does anyone know if this will fit the 2001 gsr.
Lostangel4589 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

save yourself a headache and don't get used parts like a distributor espeically when its not for your model. you check all your spark plugs? might have gotten water in from the top, i know cause i did the same stupid thing on my 98 ls back in the day. it ran rough and wouldn't start. let it sit overnight to dry and started right up next morning.
integrajerzey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Model: gsr
Year: 96

^^^ is right, did that too and remove spark plug wire and water was in there. remove water and ran fine after that.
shoua1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah my third cylinder had water in it, but I took all the plug wires out and let them dry for two days, after that I pressed a cloth into them to make sure they were completely dry. That night I drove just afew minutes from my house to the car wash and by them time I got the it was running only on three cylinders. I went through and was checking all the plug wires and found out that my fourth wasnt firing, then I checked the fuel injector plug and it wasnt attached. I then wiggled it and it came completely unhooked, and the car shut off. I tried to crank it back up and it just turns over. Also I checked that the fuel was still being pumped and it was. But now was not getting any spark at all.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

how did you confirm youre not getting any spark? The only way i know of (<-i mean this literally) is to put a screwdriver into the plug wire and get it close to a metal nut to see if it arcs. And i think someone needs to be turning the car while doing this.

If you are getting no spark on all 4 then it can be one of several parts inside the distributor but considering it was working just previously its probably not the cap and rotor. My guess would be the icm or the other part next to it, i forget its name atm. Imo they can be sensitive parts sometimes and go out from doing little things. There is an article on the forum "advanced ignition trouble shooting" that will guide you through the steps to check. I used it for my problem once.
NemesisCBR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Model: 95 - LS/VTEC
Year: 1995
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

you will need a gsr one... I did a gsr build and wasn't turning on.. later I found out it was the distributor that didn't work..I wasn't getting any spark.. I had bought the dizzy from a t-i member for 120 bucks..a waste of my money..
DC2-B18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Model: 98 lsvtec B18C5

take your distributor cap off and check for water.

make sure your battery is charged

check for spark on plugs

if nothing, get a new cap, rotor and ignition coil.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Just an update to this thread for anyone who might have a similar issue. Mine turned out to be the coil. I also ended up changing the distributor cap and rotory button for the hell of it. Imediatly following the repair of mine, my friend was pulling his plug wires while his car was running to check for a misfire and his coil went bad. And no bs at all later that night I was at a local car meet and another guy in an LS was doing the same thing and his went out too.

So I dunno why or how pulling plug wires would affect it but in these cars seems to cause the coil to die. So Check that and see, if you have had this same issue.

I have also learned NOT TO WASH UNDER MY HOOD WITH ANY KIND OF PRESSURE SPRAYER!! EVER!!!! lmao
Old 10-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

When you pull a plug wire off of a spark plug while the vehicle is running, you completely cut off the path to ground for the coil during the power stroke in that particular cylinder. An ignition coils purpose is to step up the primary ignition(battery to coil, low voltage) voltage to the secondary ignition(coil to plugs, high voltage). Anything included in the primary side of the ignition system runs on 12V. Anything on the secondary side of the ignition runs on 20-30 thousand volts. The ignition coil is actually considered part of both sides of the system since it inputs the primary voltage and outputs secondary voltage. Back to the topic. When you pull off that plug wire, that huge charge of voltage is completely cut off and has no where to go. the only place it has to go is within itself. It will eventually create excessive heat and short within itself. When this happens, you will see the burn marks and discoloration on the ignition coil housing itself. I bet if you look at yours, you would be able to quickly spot where it got hot. Hope that explains it.

bubblebrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah that helps... makes sense. just surprising cause the number of times i've seen people pull plug wires off and nothing happened like that. Guess its just unfortunate time maybe.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yup. Usually when it happens within seconds like that, we can assume that the coil is already pretty worn out by now.
bubblebrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List