jdm B20B cams vs. B18B cams - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Model: DB7; JDM B20B w/ P8R head
Year: 1995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default jdm B20B cams vs. B18B cams

i will be putting a B20B into my 95 integra. this isnt the B20 with the same head as the B18s. it has the P8R head, which has 84mm combustion chambers instaed of 81mm and has 33mm vtec sized intake valves. my question is this: would putting my b18 ls cams into this head make any difference. ive searched around for numbers and cant find jack. any numbers i do find are for the B20s with the B18 heads on them. can somebody please shed some light on the subject. thanks much
jstith07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Model: LS
Year: 2000
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

So I'm assuming this is the jdm version of the usdm b20z? The higher compression b20?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 08-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

99-01 are the high compression. the dead giveaway is the knock sensor which signals 9.6:1 compression. the one im looking to get is from 96-98 and have a 9.2:1 compression. in my on comprehension, its kind of the bridge between the low comp. b20b to the high comp b20z. i believe they were out of the jdm honda orthia and step wagon
Old 08-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Model: LS
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelonwarrior View Post
So I'm assuming this is the jdm version of the usdm b20z? The higher compression b20?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

I believe the higher comp b20's dont have p8r heads.
GreyTeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Model: The 'L' train
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Articles: 3
Feedback Score: 36 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstith07 View Post
i will be putting a B20B into my 95 integra. this isnt the B20 with the same head as the B18s. it has the P8R head, which has 84mm combustion chambers instaed of 81mm and has 33mm vtec sized intake valves. my question is this: would putting my b18 ls cams into this head make any difference. ive searched around for numbers and cant find jack. any numbers i do find are for the B20s with the B18 heads on them. can somebody please shed some light on the subject. thanks much
LS cams are LS cams are LS cams.

There are slight differences but we're talking about a couple horsepower here so you're not going to really gain anything by running LS vs B20 (LS) cams.

Where you'll gain is a good tune on your motor.
MeltMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltMan View Post
LS cams are LS cams are LS cams.

There are slight differences but we're talking about a couple horsepower here so you're not going to really gain anything by running LS vs B20 (LS) cams.

Where you'll gain is a good tune on your motor.

a tune is definitely needed, as my research has pointed out that my stock P75 ecu will run too lean for the B20. but since its obd1 it can be chipped and tuned. thank you for finally getting me the answer ive been searching high and low for. definitely not worth the work to swap cams
Old 08-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstith07 View Post
as my research has pointed out that my stock P75 ecu will run too lean for the B20.
That's actually incorrect... I was running a B20Z on the stock P75 LS maps for years - even dynoed it with A/F and it was not lean. In fact it was dead on.

An LS on the stock LS maps is actually rich as stock honda maps tend to be. Your mileage may differ with that P8R head on there though.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltMan View Post
That's actually incorrect... I was running a B20Z on the stock P75 LS maps for years - even dynoed it with A/F and it was not lean. In fact it was dead on.
I always wondered about running b20 on p75 thats good to know, thats what im running now.

My running Log
MKZAcura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

update: i got the motor i wanted yesterday (jdm B20B with the P8R head, made January of '97). i started tearing anything unnecessary off of it and getting ready for replacement of routine maintenance parts. heres what im considering now. ive heard that by using the taller intake manifold i will retain more torque. if this is true ill just swap all of my sensors from the 1.8 manifold over and just buy spacers and longer bolts for the hood so that it clears. or would it benefit me more by using the 1.8 manifold. ive heard that by using the smaller manifold i would increase air flow efficiency. all comments appreciated
Old 08-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Do not use the "Giraffe" manifold. You'll lose hp something fierce. It shifts the powerband lower and you'll gain torque but hurt the already anemic top end of the B20.

Use an LS intake manifold OR a B20Z intake manifold with the "torque box" on it and you'll have a good balance. You should also consider a Skunk2 manifold as it will give you some more top end especially with that p8r head on there.

Also note that the hood wont close with the "giraffe" manifold installed.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Model: ls
Year: 96

im running a 97 p8r jdm b20b on the stock p75 too. and to the OP i believe it has the ls cams, the only problem is you cant know for sure because there is nothing stamped on them. you will see PR3 on the cam gears, but those are on the vtec camshafts too... stick to what you have, or get aftermarket cams if u want a real difference.
b20rs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

ok ive had the b20 in for about a month now and low and behold the head gasket is gone. guess i shoulda been smart enough to change it but time was an issue. so now heres my question. i have the jdm P8R head on there now. i have a very clean P75 head from my B18 that i pulled out. i figured putting the P75 head on would raise my compression and make it a little quicker but im not 100% on that. which head would be better? i bought the B20 based on my research on the P8R head but does it really any better than running the P75?
Old 09-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Model: 95 db7 b20b 5mt

Josh, you are lucky to have the p8r head. To answer your original question, the intake cam is different, the exhaust cam is the same as the p75 head. The main difference between p8r and p75 is the size of the valves and the size f the combustion chamber, p8r has gsr sized valves and a 84 mm chamber. The p8r flows better than p75, so in my opinion you would be going backwards by switching. While your head is off, take it to a machine shop you can trust and have it milled .030 (30thousands) to compensate for the lower compression. Im doing this next week with a oem crv head gasket. My jdm b20 also has a blown head gasket, it got stung by the dragon, so this is my fix without my car being down for a week.
joespear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

thanks for the heads up man. i know all about the P8R (i made the guy at the shop dig to the back of his stock of B20s to get this motor lol) its just convenient since the P75 is already off but o well. so will the intake cam from the P75 do me any good or would it just be a waste of time switching them out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List