Hard Shifts/Clutch not engaging? Clutch master cylinder? - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Hard Shifts/Clutch not engaging? Clutch master cylinder?

During my morning commute It became really hard to shift the car into every gear and I had to slam the car into gear for around 10 shifts during the end of my drive. The clutch catches really close to the floor which I believe is indicative of the clutch master cylinder failing.

Before I go try to replace it I have a couple questions. I read the
G3 Clutch Master Cylinder Replacement - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra article, along with Clutch fluid flushing/replacing - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra article. I'm still a little confused about bleeding air from the system. In the clutch replacement article it says to follow the article about replacing the clutch fluid, but in the 2nd article it doesn't explicitly state what to do if air gets in the system or if the fluid falls below the MIN line.

Can someone clarify the proper way to bleed the system of air?
What brand of clutch master cylinder should I buy? The duralast from autozone is only 38 bucks, but the perfection ($80), beck/arnley ($101), and wagner ($108) from advance auto parts. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
lnlds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

this is happening to my car to right now too. so when your flushing out the system, you have to keep adding fluid as you pump the clutch to keep it above the min. level?

my fluid is very black, is that a sign something might of broke? any common places where a leak would occur?
Old 10-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Get the equal brand master cylinder on ebay. It is made by exedy and cheap as hell.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Also if you look at the master cylinder from inside the car many times you will see the leak. Look up under the pedal at it and if you see it wet from under the rod it needs to be replaced
snwsk8r8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 11 reviews

sounds like an issue regarding the pressure plate and/or clutch disk. i couldnt shift into gear a few years back and it turned out that one of the springs on the disk popped out from the clutch disk

Last edited by bleemasaurus; 10-25-2011 at 09:46 AM.
bleemasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

For bleeding your clutch you need 2 people to do this,get Preston brake fluid is what i use good stuff or if you have your own that works to.get in the car (making sure your clutch reservoir is full and start to pump the pedal few times and open the slave up its pretty much the same as doing brakes.

for as what brand to buy OEM OEM OEM OEM OEM acuraoemparts.com is your friend!!!!!!!!!
97redjetgsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Model: 95 db7 b20b 5mt
Year: 1995

What bleemasaurus said...a piece of the spring retainer on the clutch disc can break off and wedge itself between tth disc and pressure plate. If the cmc or slave is leaking, the reservoir will eventually empty. If the fluid is black, the seals are deteriorated and wont hold pressure. Be ready to do a clutch, master and slave all at once.
joespear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Sometime when the fluid is black/dirty, it's just the rubber hose deteriorating.
FloppyDonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 5 reviews

BTW importrp.com have the Adler/Nissin CMC for $60-70 shipped.
FloppyDonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.