Funky Noise During Warm Up - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Funky Noise During Warm Up

When my motor is cold it makes a ticking noise from 1,500-2,000 rpm. Once the car warms up, the noise goes away completely. It's not a rattle, not the normal loud valve tick, nor fuel injector tick, it is a distinct ticking coming from inside the motor. It is a 100% stock 95 LS B18B1 auto with 178,000 miles. It's been doing this for the last couple weeks. I did an oil change about 3-4 weeks ago and the ticking still remained. Oil looks fine and was a normal colour. I use the cheapo Mobil Super 10w-30. I'm not looking for a "what is this problem?" but for more of a "what are the possible issues I may be facing?"

There is no power loss, smoke nor any leaks.

Any recommendations to help stop, or even alleviate, the ticking would be advisable as well.

Last edited by imbest123; 06-24-2011 at 07:50 PM.
imbest123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Model: Integra
Year: 1991
Articles: 1

Sounds like the oil pump taking long to push the oil through the motor,this might be because the cheap oil and or filter,or worse,oil pump going out,but you would see the oil light flashing. Its normal for a "SLIGHT" tick at cold start ups,but it shouldn't keep ticking tell normal temp. Try switching the oil with a 10w 40 or a little thicker,also buy a better oil filter if you have a cheap one,that might/should solve your problem.
91_LS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Model: RS 4dr
Year: 1994

same happened to me with mobil1, after about 1k miles of the oil change, i swith back to castol and noise went away, that's was like 4k miles ago... that remind me i need to change my oil... hehe, gl man.
androsk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91_LS View Post
Sounds like the oil pump taking long to push the oil through the motor,this might be because the cheap oil and or filter,or worse,oil pump going out,but you would see the oil light flashing. Its normal for a "SLIGHT" tick at cold start ups,but it shouldn't keep ticking tell normal temp. Try switching the oil with a 10w 40 or a little thicker,also buy a better oil filter if you have a cheap one,that might/should solve your problem.
ill give this a shot.

is it possible that i spun a bearing? or would the consequences be noticeable?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Model: Integra
Year: 1991
Articles: 1

If it was a rod bearing,it would be loud as hell and would be all the time,its not a bearing..lol
91_LS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2011, 12:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Model: GS
Year: 97

My car does the same thing at 130K miles but its such a quiet tick I have to be parked next to a building to hear it and it goes away in less then a minute of driving/idleing. This is from a dead cold start and the tick lasts the same if the cold start is from summer temps or winter temps.
To me tho it sounds like its coming from the head... to be honest it always sounded like the fuel injectors ticking louder during the cold running until it warmed up that they spit less fuel, then the tick gets softer and quickly goes away compleatly.
I use Castrol GTX 5-30 and a good quality oil filter, thinking about switching to 10-30 like I have in my VW.
I'm just very picky about engine noises, if i try to show a friend they wont be able to hear it lol. Anyway if your worried do what these guys say, switch to a slightly thicker oil like 10-30 and be sure your using a good quality filter (no cheap fram crap, I think I have a bosch in mine currently) If your still worried after that, grab a oil pressure gauge to temporarily hook up and check your cold start oil pressure. If your oil pump is actually going out id imagine your oil pressure gauge would show a slow climb, when it should be up to pressure in a fraction of a second (I think? Im just guessing based on when I checked the cold oil pressure on my 30 year old VW, in a fraction of a second after startup it had my gauge near 100psi)

Beyond those things I'm not sure where else you could go.
Granite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Model: Integra LS
Year: 2001
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

distributor bearing can make a tick noise on cold and disappears when the motor is hot. quite common.
20LS01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 01:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Where is the noise coming from? Also, whens the last time you replaced your timing belt? I heard a strange ticking noise coming from my motor and a couple weeks later my timing belt stripped off the teeth..
MattJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 01:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thank fir the info. Doesn't seem like its anything serious, just wanted to get a feel of what I may possibly have to fix.
It definitely doesn't sound like its coming from the distributor side, actually the other side but from what km reading its nothing to worry about. I haven't changed the timing belt but when I had the valve cover off the belt looked like its relatively new
Old 11-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LS01 View Post
distributor bearing can make a tick noise on cold and disappears when the motor is hot. quite common.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJ View Post
Where is the noise coming from? Also, whens the last time you replaced your timing belt? I heard a strange ticking noise coming from my motor and a couple weeks later my timing belt stripped off the teeth..
old thread, i know, but its coming from inside the distributor. probably the bearing inside of it like 20ls01 says. im assuming its time to change the dizzy

matt, just did the timing belt recently and the ticking is still there. just wanted to give an update, nothing serious atm
Old 11-29-2011, 01:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

Model: Integra LS
Year: 2001
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

take off your distributor cap and see if there is RED dust. thats an indication of a bad dizzy bearing.

use a screwdriver as a stethoscope and listen...it will pin point the noise. stick the metal end on the dizzy housing and the handle at your ear.

lucky that your obd1 dizzy housings are cheap compared to obd2. i would use only acura distributors. you can get it away with swapping the old coil and ignitor into the new dizzy but if you want a reliable dizzy, switch it all.
20LS01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Model: 2000 Integra LS
Year: LS
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

my dads toyota mr2 does this, loud, its an exhaust leak once his turbo and stuff warm up everyhting expands and seals it
NON VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List