Misfire and fuel dumping in cylinder 1 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Model: DC4
Year: 1997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Exclamation Misfire and fuel dumping in cylinder 1

so my teg recently started running like dog shit and dumping mad fuel
last things i remember before it started to run like crap was running it almost bone dry (i know stupid but what can i do about it now) but after i filled it back up it ran okay for a few short trips then i go to start it one morning and i notice it misfiring and pouring what looked to be white smoke out of the exhaust

however if i really get on it the car will hesitate at low rpm then take off up top past 3000 rpm and pulls as hard as normal...
i know that its just pouring gas out of my tailpipe as white smoke because its unburnt... ive gone through 3/4 of a atank almost already in 36 miles trying to troubleshoot this problem so far... my neighbors probably all hate me for the smokescreens that smell like fuel when i drive around the block

so i immediately get ahold of a compression tester thinking i've blown the headgasket on my JDM b20 (that i swapped in under 25k miles ago)....
i pull the plug to the #1 cylinder and its black and there is fuel on it.... rest of the plugs didn't look too bad
compression was 180-200-190-190 so at this point im not too concerned that its the headgasket so i continue trying to troubleshoot other things

i put in new plugs hoping to magically solve it... but this doesn't help
next i pull the fuel rail and find that the plastic tip of the #1 injector is cracked.... so i switch in another spare injector i had hoping that this would fix it.... again same problem still
than i try switching to another stock fpr i have around.... again no change

so im hoping someone will have read through this novel and have some sort of input as to things to check next....

other information that may be relevant
-distributors cap, rotor, and ICM have been replaced within the last year or so
-motor is a JDM b20b swapped in by me 2 years ago and has been running well

Last edited by 89stoner; 04-18-2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: added info
89stoner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Model: LS b18c T 4 door
Year: 1996
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

maybe you got a tank of bad gas. but you think only one cylinder is showing signs of to rich. all 3 other plugs were ok?
fcluddington is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

The first thing I would do if I were you is try to figure out whether or not this is a random misfire occurring or if it is just affecting one cylinder. You can do that by pulling the spark plug wires off one at a time while the car is idling until you fine the one that doesn't change the idle...sounds like it is cyl #1 so I'd start with that one.

If it is just the one cylinder, narrowing the problem down will be easier than if multiple cylinders are misfiring. At that point, you can eliminate everything except the stuff that is just specific to that cylinder, which would be the compression of that cylinder (i.e. valves not seating right, a blown head gasket affecting just that one cyl., bad compression ring on the piston), a plug or a wire, or a bad or stuck open injector. Also, don't assume your spare injector is good. At this point, moving components from one cylinder to another one by one and watch to see where the problem goes. Once you change a component and the single cylinder misfire moves, then you've just effectively troubleshot the problem.

A multiple cylinder misfire could be a multitude of things, but it sounds like this probably isn't your problem. I'd elaborate but you need to do the first wave of diagnostics before I get in to that.

Excessive fuel in a single cyl miss usually causes black smoke and soot. You are describing white smoke and a misfire under 3k. You also say the spark plug is black and smells like gas. A blown head gasket with water leaking into cyl 1 may look like all gas, but typically you'll get a gasoline smell due to just the misfire AND water, which will also have a heavy gasoline smell. Additionally, the fact that the miss goes away at higher rpms is another symptom of a blown head gasket. White smoke is another indicator. Another giveaway is if the misfire occurs more when the car is cold as opposed to if you've just driven it and start it back up again - if it runs a lot better when it's hot, that is another sign indicative of a bad head gasket.

Check cyl 1 by removing the spark plug and really inspect what you think is gas. If it were me I'd even go as far as licking it to see if it's sweet (glycol in the antifreeze). I bet it is probably antifreeze.

If it really is gas, and the injector is good, then there may be a problem with the grounding circuit of that injector, or possibly even the ecu, which controls the injector ground. Also, a no spark condition can cause accumulation of gas on the plug, as the fuel isn't burning. You can test for spark by taking the plug out, reconnecting the wire to it with it out of the head, and touching it to one of the strut tower bolts (make sure you plug the cyl with a rag or you'll blow yourself up). You should see a spark jumping the gap while cranking.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Model: Integra Ls
Year: 91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeedracer182 View Post
The first thing I would do if I were you is try to figure out whether or not this is a random misfire occurring or if it is just affecting one cylinder. You can do that by pulling the spark plug wires off one at a time while the car is idling until you fine the one that doesn't change the idle...sounds like it is cyl #1 so I'd start with that one.

If it is just the one cylinder, narrowing the problem down will be easier than if multiple cylinders are misfiring. At that point, you can eliminate everything except the stuff that is just specific to that cylinder, which would be the compression of that cylinder (i.e. valves not seating right, a blown head gasket affecting just that one cyl., bad compression ring on the piston), a plug or a wire, or a bad or stuck open injector. Also, don't assume your spare injector is good. At this point, moving components from one cylinder to another one by one and watch to see where the problem goes. Once you change a component and the single cylinder misfire moves, then you've just effectively troubleshot the problem.

A multiple cylinder misfire could be a multitude of things, but it sounds like this probably isn't your problem. I'd elaborate but you need to do the first wave of diagnostics before I get in to that.

Excessive fuel in a single cyl miss usually causes black smoke and soot. You are describing white smoke and a misfire under 3k. You also say the spark plug is black and smells like gas. A blown head gasket with water leaking into cyl 1 may look like all gas, but typically you'll get a gasoline smell due to just the misfire AND water, which will also have a heavy gasoline smell. Additionally, the fact that the miss goes away at higher rpms is another symptom of a blown head gasket. White smoke is another indicator. Another giveaway is if the misfire occurs more when the car is cold as opposed to if you've just driven it and start it back up again - if it runs a lot better when it's hot, that is another sign indicative of a bad head gasket.

Check cyl 1 by removing the spark plug and really inspect what you think is gas. If it were me I'd even go as far as licking it to see if it's sweet (glycol in the antifreeze). I bet it is probably antifreeze.

If it really is gas, and the injector is good, then there may be a problem with the grounding circuit of that injector, or possibly even the ecu, which controls the injector ground. Also, a no spark condition can cause accumulation of gas on the plug, as the fuel isn't burning. You can test for spark by taking the plug out, reconnecting the wire to it with it out of the head, and touching it to one of the strut tower bolts (make sure you plug the cyl with a rag or you'll blow yourself up). You should see a spark jumping the gap while cranking.

i dont recommend you pull a plug wire while the car is running.that "technique" is infamous for blowing the s#it out of your dizzy internals.i know from experience,and now my car is extremely f'd and it all started with pulling a plug wire while the car was running..
91 Accord w/ bolt ons - gone
93 DA w/ apexi exhaust,bolt ons - gone
91 CRX si w/ B18a swap,bolt ons,tein springs - gone
91 JDM Ls w/B18b valvetrain,B18b cams,Jdm race piston rings,Jdm race rod bearings,Tein springs,16"enkei Tbs-11s(work in progress)
JuicedUpRice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Model: JDM ITR swapped LS
Year: 98
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Before you do anything else check up on my thread HERE

My symptoms were very similar, bog and miss-fire at low RPMs but fine in upper RPMs. I also see you've replaced your rotor not long ago, its possible your rotor screw may have worked itself out like mine did.

Current Setup: 98' Spec JDM Type-R swapped LS
Former Setup: 250hp/250tq LS-T
My Build Thread
TheAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Model: DC4
Year: 1997
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

random that this thread happened to pop back up... issue turned out to be the headgasket being blown which i fixed by swapping in another motor entirely that i got for a deal from a friend
89stoner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Model: Integra Ls
Year: 91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89stoner View Post
random that this thread happened to pop back up... issue turned out to be the headgasket being blown which i fixed by swapping in another motor entirely that i got for a deal from a friend
actually,i think it was my fault..i had multiple team integra pages open and think i got confused with the recent one...sorry lol
JuicedUpRice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List