Gsr Blowing White smoke - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Model: DC2 GS-R
Year: 1999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Gsr Blowing White smoke

ok, so im new to the team integra

i read some forums and figured it could be my head gasket or my valve seals??

can anyone give me some tips or any ideas on this??

as specific as i can get is that i used royal purple 5w 30 and that didnt last me a month

now im using vaveline 10w 30 full syn noticed a slight discoloration but from normal driving.

only time i blow white smoke is when i engage Vtec and its normally like the first and second time when this happens, well when i only notice it.

i have a 99 Gsr.

Last edited by Crazzysandman; 04-02-2011 at 02:51 AM.
Crazzysandman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews

How many miles are on your engine? have you ever miss shifted befor? it could be head gasket but a leak down test would be i great way to test and see what it is.
97redjetgsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Model: GSR
Year: 2000
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Could be antifreeze when it is being burned it has a sweet type of smell and tends to dissipate in the air rather quickly. maybe a result of cracked head, but you would have misfiring even with new spark plugs. Or it may be blown head gasket which will allow antifreeze to leak into combustion chamber. some say it can be from too much oil being burned too, but you would notice a big drop in oil level. My brother's celica has this problem with white smoke and it is him burning too much oil cause his seals are bad. gl

-Luke
Old 03-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Model: GSR-T
Year: 97

Take the oil cap of your head and look at the bottom of the cap, is the oil milky? If so then you for sure got a blown head gasket. Do a Leak down test.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Alright guys so I just replaced most of my head gaskets, I used the autozone brand I forgot the name lol but yeah I changed my valve seals as well because we noticed oil leaking through, and I got a new well used apexi exhaust to replace my last one that had a leak

Ok so I drove infront of my friend and we notice a lot of white smoke again, my car has about 124k it runs good pulls hard, but this is the only think I notice, its only a few times. If I'm on the free way and engage Vtec it doesn't blow white smoke at all, so I'm out of ideas

So far sense I bought the car with 120, I replaces head gaskets, and value seals and a few other seals and also fixed the exhaust leak

Last edited by Crazzysandman; 04-02-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

aafter all this my oil level did not drop much just a tad bit. before I would.have to add a quart of oil or even two so it helped when I replaced the valve seals but I still have white smoke when engaging Vtec well mainly from a launch
Old 03-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

After reading your post, and I apologize for being condescending here, but I'm wondering if you even know what a head gasket and valve seals are. I'm basing this purely on the fact that you can't replace 'most of your head gaskets' as stated, and it is very unlikely you would notice the valve seals leaking oil unless you had the head off for inspection AND you were a trained technician.

So I guess what I'm curious for you to explain is exactly what seals and/or gaskets you replaced?

Also, it is unnecessary for you to detail who or what you were racing. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were at a track all the times you mentioned, but please be aware that illegal street racing is highly frowned upon here at team-integra.net.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ok I understand I wasn't spacfict with what I did, ok let me start again,

I replaced the head gasket with a three layer gasket, I replaced the 16 valve seals that are below the valve springs, yes my friend and his father are professionals I just helped for experience, I had oil on number 3 piston, intake side valve seat had oil all over, the rest of my valves were clean but we replaced all valves seals to be safe. Also the valve gasket, exhaust gasket and intake gasket. That's seems to be all of them.

And no need to bash, I know what I'm talking about, I guess I didn't specify

Last edited by Crazzysandman; 04-02-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Oh and to the others before my old mechanic smogged the car he claimed to have done a leak down, said it was good, but I haven't done it my self yet!

I'll try tomorrow if I can get the part, and I miss shift once and about three times I hit rev limiter

No milky oil, and I had another friend check it out as well, he didn't see anything wrong, we checked the oil for that milky look, but our last guess is maybe my pistons are just giving up or scratched walls, and lastly maybe my injectors are bad, they are used, I had to get a different pair, as the guy who sold it to me had it all whacked out with a different engine wire harness, injectors and ecu
Old 04-02-2011, 08:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have the same problem, I did a compression check and Cyl #1 was at 140psi when the rest were at 225. I thought it was the valve seals until I did the leakdown test and can hear alot of air escaping from my exhaust. Leakdown test will tell you whats going on.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Voltage - so what ended up being your problem, I will do both test when I get the chance
Thanks
Old 04-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltageBLUE-RS View Post
I have the same problem, I did a compression check and Cyl #1 was at 140psi when the rest were at 225. I thought it was the valve seals until I did the leakdown test and can hear alot of air escaping from my exhaust. Leakdown test will tell you whats going on.
Bad valve seals won't affect compression by themselves. They hold oil back, not compression in. The valve seat does that. The only way a bad valve seal will affect compression is if it leaks so much oil down the valve stem that it builds up on the seat and causes improper seating.

The only places you can lose compression is the intake and exhaust valves, the compression rings, and the head gasket. If you've got leak down air coming out of the tailpipe, it's leaking past the exhaust valves - that's a no-brainer.

Arturo - if you've replaced the head gasket and all the valve seals, its gotta be your oil control rings. Keep in mind that a compression test does not check these rings.There are three rings on a piston - and the compression test only checks one of them. It is very possible to blow oil past a compression ring that is good.

Diagnostic tests are of little use if you don't know how to interpret the results.
gospeedracer182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 03:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

yeah i know there are three rings, im still learning, well i had a frew friends drive behind me while i engaged v-tec and they claim its black smoke, so that would fuel correct?

well what i notice i was on the free way and third gear i engaged vtec once again and i saw absolutely no smoke, just the same smell of vtec.

when we had the head off the block, my friend didnt see any scratches on the wall, but we havent tried to check the rings just yet.

well everyone that was behind me says its black, i see white when i look in the mirror and only one friend saw it white, so its 5 that saw black and 2 that saw white.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Do a compression test and a leakdown test. Post up the results and we can assist further. Also, does the smoke have blueish tint to it? If so you might have blown rings.
TakashiDrift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List