Exhaust manifold gasket leak... - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hey guys,

So yesterday I took my 01 GS into a quick lube shop for a quick oil change (usually I do them myself but it was -20 here yesterday so didn't really feel like getting under the car), anyway the technician did the oil change and was doing some other minor maintenance. He took off the rubber tubing for the air intake box from the throttle body and told me there was a lot of carbon build up (he smeared it onto a plate to show me) and recommended "Fuel system service" (here's some info on it from their site)...In short he put some shit in the gas tank and then attached a compressed air-looking cannister to the air intake hose and put it back on the throttle body and revved it up to 3k ish every now and then but let it idle for about 5 mins. He pointed out some minor white smoke coming from what looked like between the head and the exhaust manifold and said it looked like a leaky gasket.

My questions are:
1) I know this BS fuel system cleaner was probably a ripoff but does this sound like a leaky gasket?
2) I downloaded a Haynes manual and did some reading, where would I be able to find the 9 8x1.25mm self-locking nuts that need to be replaced as with as the gasket (obviously). They hold the manifold to the head.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
calgarianteg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Model: The 'L' train
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Articles: 3
Feedback Score: 36 reviews

If your exhaust manifold gasket is leaking you'd see black carbon evidence on the head where the manifold meets the head. Do you see black carbon on the head?
MeltMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply, Casey.
No I just went a took the heat shield off and took a peek. I don't see any black on the head, it looks pretty light and clean.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Maybe there's a leak somewhere under the car? Perhaps where the header connects to the flex pipe/cat etc under the engine bay. If theres a leak there, then it could be just floating up and giving the impression that your exhaust manifold gasket is leaking.
sumair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Model: The 'L' train
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Articles: 3
Feedback Score: 36 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarianteg on Feb/20/11
Thanks for the reply, Casey.
No I just went a took the heat shield off and took a peek. I don't see any black on the head, it looks pretty light and clean.
He could have easily dabbed a little oil there that would burn off and look like a leaky gasket.

You're fine. Don't go back to that place. Don't buy any more special services for your car. Hope that didnt cost you much because it was largely a scam.
MeltMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Model: GS-r with a Type R heart
Year: 97
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarianteg on Feb/20/11
...the gas tank and then attached a compressed air-looking cannister to the air intake hose and put it back on the throttle body and revved it up to 3k ish every now and then but let it idle for about 5 mins.
Actually this is something my mechanic did to trouble shoot when my car was down. He was spraying flammable spray into the throttle body to see if there was combustion.

*(Don't quote me exactly on that) But what he was doing was not to look for a "leaky" gasket. It was primarily to see if the motor was functioning correctly.

So, like the Mod. stated above, don't take it to that place again.
arexniba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks everyone.
Yeah, I went in for a $40 oil/filter change and came out almost $200 poorer. I checked the dipstick when I got home and it was like an inch above the top dot, so I drained a bit. Probably just stick to doing my own changes now.

Also, am I correct in saying that an exhaust leak (anywhere) would effect fuel economy? I'm getting anywhere from 400-450 km on a full tank of gas (full to low fuel light). I don't know if this is about average for an automatic..

I just got my teg in August '10 and I don't think it was looked after too well by the previous owner(s). It has 177k km on it (~110k miles) and I had the timing belt/water pump replaced just because I wasn't sure if they had been done. It had an oil leak soon after I got it and it looked like the oil pan gasket was leaking so I replaced that myself. Turned out the leak was due to an effed up oil pressure sensor unit so replaced that. Changed the spark plugs as well because they're easy to do and again wasn't sure when they were last changed.

So a question I have is at this sort of mileage are there other things for maintenance that I should be looking into other than the periodic oil, oil filter, air filter etc changes?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarianteg on Feb/21/11
Thanks everyone.
Yeah, I went in for a $40 oil/filter change and came out almost $200 poorer. I checked the dipstick when I got home and it was like an inch above the top dot, so I drained a bit. Probably just stick to doing my own changes now.

Also, am I correct in saying that an exhaust leak (anywhere) would effect fuel economy? I'm getting anywhere from 400-450 km on a full tank of gas (full to low fuel light). I don't know if this is about average for an automatic..

I just got my teg in August '10 and I don't think it was looked after too well by the previous owner(s). It has 177k km on it (~110k miles) and I had the timing belt/water pump replaced just because I wasn't sure if they had been done. It had an oil leak soon after I got it and it looked like the oil pan gasket was leaking so I replaced that myself. Turned out the leak was due to an effed up oil pressure sensor unit so replaced that. Changed the spark plugs as well because they're easy to do and again wasn't sure when they were last changed.

So a question I have is at this sort of mileage are there other things for maintenance that I should be looking into other than the periodic oil, oil filter, air filter etc changes?
400-500km is roughly about 250-300mi.
I would say this is not really "normal" considering the type of engine you have and it being an automatic transmission.

I have a jdm itr motor with an intake system and exhaust setup. And I do have a heavy foot sometimes. What you get for a full tank is what I normally get on a full tank.

Then again you haven't included the mileage you add on a weekly basis, performance parts, or how you personally drive the car?

Also, in the Articles section of this site, check out small things you can do to increase the longevity of your fuel mileage...i.e. your tire air pressure.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

I probably drive a tank of gas a week so roughly 400-450 km weekly to and from uni. No, performance parts, bone stock. I'd say my driving style is probably about average with maybe 3-4 bursts to 4k-5k rpm a day tops. But other than that just the usual "granny shifing" at ~3k rpm.

Just found out my cam seal's leaking. I'll probably put a new one in sometime this week.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Model: LS w/B18C1
Year: 1997
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

one easy way I found to check for an exhaust leak....

Take a thin rubber tube around 1/8" diameter, 3-4 feet in length. Hold one end in your right hand, and put the other end in your ear.

With the car running, move the end of the tube around the interface between the manifold and head. If you hear a fast-paced ticking noise, then you have a leak. Exhaust gases come in pulses, so you'll hear repeatable pulses coming from each cylinder.

tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick

If you hear that, you have a leak.
MasterP_Nice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Lol thanks, I'll try it out
Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP_Nice on Feb/21/11
one easy way I found to check for an exhaust leak....

Take a thin rubber tube around 1/8" diameter, 3-4 feet in length. Hold one end in your right hand, and put the other end in your ear.

With the car running, move the end of the tube around the interface between the manifold and head. If you hear a fast-paced ticking noise, then you have a leak. Exhaust gases come in pulses, so you'll hear repeatable pulses coming from each cylinder.

tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick

If you hear that, you have a leak.

Lol! Not clowning your advice at all, but the visual of someone holding a tube to their ear in the engine bay just looks funny!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List