Exhaust manifold gasket leak... - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: , AB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Hey guys,

So yesterday I took my 01 GS into a quick lube shop for a quick oil change (usually I do them myself but it was -20 here yesterday so didn't really feel like getting under the car), anyway the technician did the oil change and was doing some other minor maintenance. He took off the rubber tubing for the air intake box from the throttle body and told me there was a lot of carbon build up (he smeared it onto a plate to show me) and recommended "Fuel system service" (here's some info on it from their site)...In short he put some shit in the gas tank and then attached a compressed air-looking cannister to the air intake hose and put it back on the throttle body and revved it up to 3k ish every now and then but let it idle for about 5 mins. He pointed out some minor white smoke coming from what looked like between the head and the exhaust manifold and said it looked like a leaky gasket.

My questions are:
1) I know this BS fuel system cleaner was probably a ripoff but does this sound like a leaky gasket?
2) I downloaded a Haynes manual and did some reading, where would I be able to find the 9 8x1.25mm self-locking nuts that need to be replaced as with as the gasket (obviously). They hold the manifold to the head.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
calgarianteg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
MeltMan's Avatar
 
Real Name: Casey
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Model: The 'L' train
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Articles: 3
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Default

If your exhaust manifold gasket is leaking you'd see black carbon evidence on the head where the manifold meets the head. Do you see black carbon on the head?
MeltMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: , AB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Thanks for the reply, Casey.
No I just went a took the heat shield off and took a peek. I don't see any black on the head, it looks pretty light and clean.
calgarianteg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: , NY
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Maybe there's a leak somewhere under the car? Perhaps where the header connects to the flex pipe/cat etc under the engine bay. If theres a leak there, then it could be just floating up and giving the impression that your exhaust manifold gasket is leaking.
sumair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
MeltMan's Avatar
 
Real Name: Casey
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Model: The 'L' train
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Articles: 3
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarianteg on Feb/20/11
Thanks for the reply, Casey.
No I just went a took the heat shield off and took a peek. I don't see any black on the head, it looks pretty light and clean.
He could have easily dabbed a little oil there that would burn off and look like a leaky gasket.

You're fine. Don't go back to that place. Don't buy any more special services for your car. Hope that didnt cost you much because it was largely a scam.
MeltMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Real Name: Alex
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Millbrae, CA
Model: GS-r with a Type R heart
Year: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarianteg on Feb/20/11
...the gas tank and then attached a compressed air-looking cannister to the air intake hose and put it back on the throttle body and revved it up to 3k ish every now and then but let it idle for about 5 mins.
Actually this is something my mechanic did to trouble shoot when my car was down. He was spraying flammable spray into the throttle body to see if there was combustion.

*(Don't quote me exactly on that) But what he was doing was not to look for a "leaky" gasket. It was primarily to see if the motor was functioning correctly.

So, like the Mod. stated above, don't take it to that place again.
arexniba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: , AB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Thanks everyone.
Yeah, I went in for a $40 oil/filter change and came out almost $200 poorer. I checked the dipstick when I got home and it was like an inch above the top dot, so I drained a bit. Probably just stick to doing my own changes now.

Also, am I correct in saying that an exhaust leak (anywhere) would effect fuel economy? I'm getting anywhere from 400-450 km on a full tank of gas (full to low fuel light). I don't know if this is about average for an automatic..

I just got my teg in August '10 and I don't think it was looked after too well by the previous owner(s). It has 177k km on it (~110k miles) and I had the timing belt/water pump replaced just because I wasn't sure if they had been done. It had an oil leak soon after I got it and it looked like the oil pan gasket was leaking so I replaced that myself. Turned out the leak was due to an effed up oil pressure sensor unit so replaced that. Changed the spark plugs as well because they're easy to do and again wasn't sure when they were last changed.

So a question I have is at this sort of mileage are there other things for maintenance that I should be looking into other than the periodic oil, oil filter, air filter etc changes?
calgarianteg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
 
Real Name: Alex
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Millbrae, CA
Model: GS-r with a Type R heart
Year: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarianteg on Feb/21/11
Thanks everyone.
Yeah, I went in for a $40 oil/filter change and came out almost $200 poorer. I checked the dipstick when I got home and it was like an inch above the top dot, so I drained a bit. Probably just stick to doing my own changes now.

Also, am I correct in saying that an exhaust leak (anywhere) would effect fuel economy? I'm getting anywhere from 400-450 km on a full tank of gas (full to low fuel light). I don't know if this is about average for an automatic..

I just got my teg in August '10 and I don't think it was looked after too well by the previous owner(s). It has 177k km on it (~110k miles) and I had the timing belt/water pump replaced just because I wasn't sure if they had been done. It had an oil leak soon after I got it and it looked like the oil pan gasket was leaking so I replaced that myself. Turned out the leak was due to an effed up oil pressure sensor unit so replaced that. Changed the spark plugs as well because they're easy to do and again wasn't sure when they were last changed.

So a question I have is at this sort of mileage are there other things for maintenance that I should be looking into other than the periodic oil, oil filter, air filter etc changes?
400-500km is roughly about 250-300mi.
I would say this is not really "normal" considering the type of engine you have and it being an automatic transmission.

I have a jdm itr motor with an intake system and exhaust setup. And I do have a heavy foot sometimes. What you get for a full tank is what I normally get on a full tank.

Then again you haven't included the mileage you add on a weekly basis, performance parts, or how you personally drive the car?

Also, in the Articles section of this site, check out small things you can do to increase the longevity of your fuel mileage...i.e. your tire air pressure.
arexniba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: , AB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I probably drive a tank of gas a week so roughly 400-450 km weekly to and from uni. No, performance parts, bone stock. I'd say my driving style is probably about average with maybe 3-4 bursts to 4k-5k rpm a day tops. But other than that just the usual "granny shifing" at ~3k rpm.

Just found out my cam seal's leaking. I'll probably put a new one in sometime this week.
calgarianteg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
MasterP_Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Model: LS w/B18C1
Year: 1997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Default

one easy way I found to check for an exhaust leak....

Take a thin rubber tube around 1/8" diameter, 3-4 feet in length. Hold one end in your right hand, and put the other end in your ear.

With the car running, move the end of the tube around the interface between the manifold and head. If you hear a fast-paced ticking noise, then you have a leak. Exhaust gases come in pulses, so you'll hear repeatable pulses coming from each cylinder.

tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick

If you hear that, you have a leak.
MasterP_Nice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: , AB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Lol thanks, I'll try it out
calgarianteg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned
 
Real Name: Alex
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Millbrae, CA
Model: GS-r with a Type R heart
Year: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP_Nice on Feb/21/11
one easy way I found to check for an exhaust leak....

Take a thin rubber tube around 1/8" diameter, 3-4 feet in length. Hold one end in your right hand, and put the other end in your ear.

With the car running, move the end of the tube around the interface between the manifold and head. If you hear a fast-paced ticking noise, then you have a leak. Exhaust gases come in pulses, so you'll hear repeatable pulses coming from each cylinder.

tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick

If you hear that, you have a leak.

Lol! Not clowning your advice at all, but the visual of someone holding a tube to their ear in the engine bay just looks funny!
arexniba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.