Wont Go Into 1st or 2nd???? - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

hi, i have a 97 gsr. it just hit a 270,000 mark about a month ago. ive never had to work on the tranny other than replacing the shifter or replacing the axles. with that said i dont know what shape the internals are in. about two weeks ago the shifter started getting realy sloppy. its a short shifter to begin with, its a peice of junk from ebay for 10$. i noticed that the shifter started having lots of play in it. when its in any gear i can move it from side to side like 6 inches. which is not normal. then i noticed it started getting hard to put it in 1st gear sometimes. then it went to barley being able to get it in first gear at all and now second is getting there as well. the only way i can get it in first gear is by pushing it back and forth quickly and hard from second to first and 70% of the time itl go in after two or three back and forth's. it doesnt help any that my knob broke off the other day from it being cold and trying to jam it in gear. im ordering a new one today. and im gonna get the bushing kit and try to find the ball seat thing and replace all that and maybe it will be fixed, its been to cold to go under there just to look, so ill check it out when i have the parts. but what could be wrong with it? could my shifter fork be bent? or is it just somthing with the linkage?
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Model: SE 5MT
Year: 1995
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I just fixed a similar problem. The shifter would shift through the gears like butter when the car was off. If i started the car in first it wouldn't leave first. Same for second. If i started in neutral it wouldn't shift into first or second. Had to drive with only third, fourth, and fifth (which is bad enough starting on flat ground, but try starting in third on a hill.....not fun). And even those were difficult to get into. Whatever gear the car was in though the car would drive just fine for that gear. Turned out my clutch was done. 20x,xxx on factory clutch didn't surprise me it was bad. Sounds like yours could be a similar situation. Take it to an Aamco and get it checked. They do it for free. They'll run a diagnostic, a visual inspection of the components and drive it was well to figure out the problem. They replaced my clutch within a day. Get there before opening to ensure you're the first one. Worked for me. Hope it helped.

just call me Purple LCA's
ATTENTION T.I.: 'ThatGuy' will kill you...and steal your regular bacon and compare it to Canadian bacon
shortyelks89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

ya know i was thinking maybe its the clutch, it could be. my problem is indeed similar but im not quite having the problem of it being stuck in gear. when i can finally manage to get it into first it shifts all the way up just fine. getting it into first is a pain though. every time i think its in first it turns out to be third, so i have to kinda inch forward at a stoplight to figure it out and try agian. ive been wanting to replace the clutch for a while, trannys just make me weary. if it is the clutch i guess il replace it. a clutch kit is only like $100 or so and it doesnt take that long so i would imagine i could do it in a day.
97superteg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Model: GS-R
Year: 2001
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had similar problems years ago when the original oem clutch went out at 125k miles.I thought I was having major transmission problems, took it into dealer and they said easily the clutch was gone, I didn't end up marring the flywheel, as I didn't drive it long when I started having problems. Went out and bought a stage 1 exedy clutch and dealer installed it at 200ish... Can't remember.

I fear you may have damaged the flywheel with driving so long with the problem.
originalrocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

well i was planning on putting a lighter flywheel and a stage 2 clutch in anyway, if i did damage it. i just dont see how the clutch would only affect getting it into gear. i can get it going from a dead stop in third and fourth gear so theres got to be clutch left. im not denying that there isnt but im just saying i dont understand why the clutch wouldnt get it in first gear have trouble getting it in second and then no trouble with the other gears. come to think of it reverse has felt weird when i put it in to it. i think my linkage get bent. wheni push the stick over to the 5th gear position and push it its kinda springy like it should be but then i do that in the first gear position it kinda clunks. its like when i go to put it in gear the stick wont move far enough over to first, thats why when i think its in first its actually third. its not that it wont let me go into first its that i cant find it. and i really gotta clunk it in there like its not lined up right.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Model: GSR
Year: 2000
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97superteg on Jan/07/11
well i was planning on putting a lighter flywheel and a stage 2 clutch in anyway, if i did damage it. i just dont see how the clutch would only affect getting it into gear. i can get it going from a dead stop in third and fourth gear so theres got to be clutch left. im not denying that there isnt but im just saying i dont understand why the clutch wouldnt get it in first gear have trouble getting it in second and then no trouble with the other gears. come to think of it reverse has felt weird when i put it in to it. i think my linkage get bent. wheni push the stick over to the 5th gear position and push it its kinda springy like it should be but then i do that in the first gear position it kinda clunks. its like when i go to put it in gear the stick wont move far enough over to first, thats why when i think its in first its actually third. its not that it wont let me go into first its that i cant find it. and i really gotta clunk it in there like its not lined up right.
check your clutch hydraulic system for leaks and loss of clutch fluid, this can cause similar problems.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

For the longest time i wondered why my clutch never went into reverse. one day i checked and had a leaky clutch cylinder and just had to top it off everytime. Was a noob back then =] good luck
envision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

there is a new slave cylinder in there so it shouldnt be leaking, but now i have a new problem, i crashed my teg the other day into a ford explorer on an icy road cause the dumbass was fishtailing when he tried to turn and i then started sliding and went into his toe hook and fucked up my hood destroyed the bumper and head light and now i cant even open my hood to check anything. and my brake fluid is low as well and i dont want to break it to open and then not have it shut but it looks as though im gonna have to do that. i hate my fucking teg. its the biggest piece of shit. ive put so much money into it replacing things and fixing things that now that i crashed it and it basically needs a new front clip i dont even want it anymore. i could probly get by just putting new head lights in put a new hood on and a new bumper and a new fender but i know something probly got pushed back. and i dont think i should even replace that stuff (unless the other guys insurance pays for it) since i was kicking snow off the car a few weeks ago and my foot went through the sheet metal above the side skirt on both sides. so i would have a brand new front end with two holes in the side of the car and the rust is gonna get worse than it is so i just think that car needs to get crushed. plus the motor has 270,000 on it. and this problem with the stick shift on top of it. i want to pull the motor and the whole suspension ive redone and everything else ive put into it and swap it into a civic, but the problem is i cant even find a civic for sale in my town for less than 2 grand because there good running vehicles. cause if i had two grand id just buy a damn civic and drive that. and if i did buy a civic and did a swap id have no car to drive in the meantime. so im just pissed about this whole damn situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List