My car won't start. No lights, no Horn - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Okay, I got up this morning and drove like 30 miles or more to have lunch with my grandma and family. We spent about 4 hours inside the restaurant. When we left, tried to start it and nothing happend; no clicks, not beeps for the door being open, no horn, no nothing. Literally nothing works, Not even the brake lights.

I checked to make sure the battery cables were connected and they were, resulting in disappointment

My aunt jumped my car and it started up, but my ABS light stayed on and now my car sputters. I took the highway back home and during the drive it seemed as if the car was gonna die when it went from 2nd to 3rd, but didn't. It wasn't like a rolling die, it felt like it wanted to stop! Like it was trying to brake on me.

As soon as I got home (30 miles away) I turned it off and literally tried to turn it back on and it wouldn't. I checked the oil, made sure the intake was on right, everything I checked seemed functional.

Except this time, the door open beep worked, but as soon as I tried the horn, everything stopped working again.

Specs on my car

1994 Integra with 89k Miles
Same Alternator since birth
Battery was replaced 2 years ago with an Optimum Yellow Top
I braked pretty hard avoiding an accident on the way to the restaurant.
Automatic Transmission
Replaced Starter 1 year ago.
It has slow starts here and there.

Thanks for the help, and any assistance is appreciated

*edited to fix grammar*
deus_heart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Put it Digital Multimeter on the battery and tell us what you get so that we can for sure rule out the battery. -Aaron
theivjackal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Model: Integra
Year: 1991
Articles: 1

some people dont have a Digital Multimeter. So try to jump the car and if the car starts up disconnect the battery and if the car still runs the alt is good and the battery is bad.Also chick the wires on the battery and clean them if dirty
91_LS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91_LS on Mar/21/09
some people dont have a Digital Multimeter. So try to jump the car and if the car starts up disconnect the battery and if the car still runs the alt is good and the battery is bad.Also chick the wires on the battery and clean them if dirty
Sounds do'able! My question is this though, if the alternator was bad, I wouldn't have been able to drive home for that many miles would I?

So, since I drove that distance, it has to be the battery right.

Also, someone tried stealing my car like a year ago and left all my components on until the battery died. Meaning I didn't realize a crime was attempted until the following morning.

So, did the battery life significantly drop?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Model: Integra
Year: 1991
Articles: 1

you can have a bad alt and still drive on just the battery, but it might just be the battery. do the testing 1st
91_LS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 11:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Model: Vogue Silver Integra LS
Year: 1999
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

You should see if the Optimum is still under warranty. As expensive as they are, it should have come with one. Try getting another battery assuming it's covered, and see if that works. Or you could get your alternator tested. The downside? If you have to replace the alternator, if a warranty does not exists, and you will need another source of transportation! But is sounds like a simple fix. Do you have a factory alarm, aftermaket alarm, or no alarm at all? Because on my car, if you try to jump start it, it freaks out and nothing works unless you reconnect the negative terminal. once the negative terminal sparks, my cars alarm wails and everything works again.

My Running Log

Jesus: "Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me,
and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. I
am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last..." (NIV)
steelmatt6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I think you can take your car (if it's driveable) or just the battery it and the alternator tested for free...
Old 03-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

So I took my car in to get the battery and the alternator tested. When I arrived they said they can't test it because they need the car to turn back on after they shut it off.

I got frustrated at this point and just took it to my shop.

After a couple of hours they said that my ABS unit had shorted and the pump kept running and drained the battery. The ABS unit was broke and they needed to fix a relay and wiring on the ABS unit.

Thus fixing my problem, but they recommended I replace my battery because it can no longer hold it's charge since it's been drained more than once.

Alternator is fine.

The repair ended up costing me $1100 because they sold me on a transmission flush, power steering flush, Tiebar bushings, alignment and oil change. All which I could have waited on, but I took the bait.

Anyway thanks for you help guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List