Oil pan bolts came loose - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

So yesterday it was pretty cold at my house, like 27 degrees. I had ice covering all of my windows. I started the car and turned the heat and defrost on so by the time I left for work it would be melted. I went to back out of the driveway and I noticed an oil burning smell. I stopped and got out and noticed a puddle in the driveway. I didnt have time to look at it so I parked it and drove my other vehicle. Came home last night and there was still some daylight left so I went ahead and jacked the car up and started it. There wasn't anything obvious dripping yet and then it got me in the face. I looked to see where it was coming from, looks like the oil pan, WTF! I checked the bolts, they were all loose and missing two bolts and two nuts. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?
drkvltprls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 07:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 40 reviews

Sounds like someone didn't torque down the bolts properly. I've never heard of them coming loose unless they weren't torqued properly to begin with. You may want to pick up a new gasket (like $20 from the dealer) and some Hondabond and make sure you torque everything down to spec and in the proper order. If you have a Helm's, look at the procedure for it. If you need a hand (or a torque wrench), let me know and I can help you out. I also have a Helm's if you need the procedure for it.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think I'm going to pick up a helms this weekend as well as a gasket. Thanks for the offer on the torque wrench but I have one. As far as someone not torqueing the bolts down properly it must have came from the factory like that cause they haven't been touched since I bought the car new.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Model: STi
Year: 2005
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Vibration. You wont beleive the shit that our little four-bangers will wiggle loose. Also when installing my header/Exhaust i noticed i was missing one but all the rest were good so i guess you could say its happend to me...kinda.
97lsteggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Alright guys I'm in a bit of a pickle. I got all of my parts except for one gasket. I need the gasket that goes between the header and the downpipe. I went to the auto part store and all they list are o-rings. I even went to the acura website and thats all they list too. Is my aftermarket header weird that it has a gasket or will the o-rings work? The flange is not recessed to accept an o-ring. My car is sitting on jack stands so I need advice quick!
Old 01-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Model: STi
Year: 2005
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

i sealed mine with high temp RTV gasket maker untill i could get a real gasket. It worked like a charm too just do that untill you can find one.
97lsteggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 36 reviews

what probably happened is the gasket is shot and has been leaking for a while and getting oil all over the bolts. they have loosened up over time. i remember when i replaced my oil pan gasket, most of the screws were oily and very easy to remove. just replace the gasket and torque the bolts and you should be fine.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 8 reviews

^ x2

I would have to tighten my oil pan bolts and nuts every time I changed my oil and I was missing a couple too. There was a tiny bit of seepage - but not enough to actually drip on the ground between oil changes. I went ahead and pulled the oil pan when I changed the oil last weekend and the gasket was shot. It was all dried out and hard - not unexpected after 10+ years. It's all good as new now. A nice new soft gasket will exert some pressure back on the bolts and keep them tight.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Articles: 2
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Pretty clear case of a gasket gone wrong or incorrect torque specs.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Articles: 8
Feedback Score: 33 reviews

Yeah wherever you took the car, don't go there anymore. That's a pretty big multi-part mistake.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkvltprls on Jan/24/09
Alright guys I'm in a bit of a pickle. I got all of my parts except for one gasket. I need the gasket that goes between the header and the downpipe. I went to the auto part store and all they list are o-rings. I even went to the acura website and thats all they list too. Is my aftermarket header weird that it has a gasket or will the o-rings work? The flange is not recessed to accept an o-ring. My car is sitting on jack stands so I need advice quick!
I think everybody didnt read my last post. I need the downpipe gasket. I have the oil pan gasket.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Model: A few parts left
Year: 2000
Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 42 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkvltprls on Jan/24/09
Quote: drkvltprls on Jan/24/09Alright guys I'm in a bit of a pickle. I got all of my parts except for one gasket. I need the gasket that goes between the header and the downpipe. I went to the auto part store and all they list are o-rings. I even went to the acura website and thats all they list too. Is my aftermarket header weird that it has a gasket or will the o-rings work? The flange is not recessed to accept an o-ring. My car is sitting on jack stands so I need advice quick! I think everybody didnt read my last post. I need the downpipe gasket. I have the oil pan gasket.
I believe the o-rings they list are the correct part.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List