2000 GSR ECU ON 98 GSR ??? - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Will there be any issue using a 2000 gsr ecu on a 98 gsr ? What to expect, etc.... Please let me know. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 14 reviews

no should be ok. unless there is a problem with the immobilizer but im not sure.
92gsrvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

OK... Read a little on immobilizer. Sounded like it might be a problem. I do have the key and ignition from the 2000 GSR also, so would it work if I use the ignition and key from the 2000 GSR on the 98??? Will I also need the guage cluster from the 2000 since it has a key light/display in it or will the 98 cluster work if I use the 2000 key/ignition. If it is easier to bypass it on the ECU I would rather do that so let me know.

Issue/task: 2000 GSR have front damage so moving everything to 98 GSR shell....
fastone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Model: DVPsshhhhh
Year: 2000
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

It might be cheaper/easier to find a 96-99 GS-R ECU. Don't forget, the harness' for the ECU's changed in 2000 so you'll need a conversion harness as well.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

yea he's right. you'll need a OBD2b-OBD2a conversion harness which costs about $140. it'll be cheaper for you to find an ECU
russiansGSR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 25 reviews

I dont think that 1998 integras have immobolizers
and that it consists of more than just and ecu and a key.

dont bash me if im wrong (i used the words i think, not I Know)
Old 05-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 7 reviews

The immobilizer isn't really issue it's more of a matter of the ecu's being different, so gonna have to find an OBD2a p72
boridragon02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 25 reviews

I believe that Jose is right, this was taken from an article here. read on.

So from what i gather.
No the 2000 p72 will not work as a striaght up swap out for your 98

The purpose of this article is to show you how to read the identification labels on ECU's and also how to distinguish between OBD1, OBD2a and OBD2b ECU's. Below is the identification sticker you will find on the side of the ECU.

There are three parts involved in reading the identification sticker. They are as follows:

A. This is the model number used for EVERY Honda ECU, no matter if you have an Integra, Civic, accord, etc. That number will always be 37820 and come first on the sticker.

B. This is the most important part. This identifies the model and year. Down below is a list of all Integra USDM ECU's.

C. This is the revision number. I believe all models have at least two different revision numbers. This is simply the version of that ECU that you have. In the picture above you will notice everything is the same besides the revision numbers. P75-A01 was in a 94 LS while P75-A04 was in a 98 LS. I contacted Honda and they stated the main differences between the different revisions were upgrades or enhancements to the motherboard or the chips due to stricter emissions regulations, etc. Note that some ECU codes are available over more than one generation (OBD0, OBDI and OBDII), therefore it is important to identify the ECU connectors as well as the ECU code.

Here are all the ECU's found in Integras:

P61 92-93 OBD1 GSR
P72 94-95 OBD1 GSR
P72 96-00 OBD2 GSR
P73 96-00 OBD2 ITR
P74/75 92-95 OBD1 LS/RS
P75 96-00 OBD2 LS/RS
PG6 88-89 OBD0 (all models)
PR4 90-91 OBD0 LS/GS
PR4 92-93 OBD1 LS/GS

How to tell apart OBD1, OBD2a, and OBD2b ECU's:

How to tell them apart by looking at the clips:

Look on the back of the ECU. OBD1 ECU's only have three receptacles while OBD2 ECU's have four. (one of these four is never used.) Now the OBD2 ECU pictured is version "a". The difference between version "a" and version "b" is the order of the plugs. If you look at the picture you notice the first one is used, the second one is skipped and the remaining two are used. on version "b" of OBD2 ECU's the first three are used and the last one is not. If you plan to do an ECU conversion this is important because things will not work if you have the wrong one. I believe all 99 and up Integras have version "b". As for OBD0 ECU's, its real easy to tell them apart because the clips are completely different then OBD1 and 2. on the back you have a green plug, a medal partition, then two black plugs.

Hope this helps everyone. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
JDMInline4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just try to do away without spending any unnecessary $$$.

Well, how about this... If I transfer the whole harness/ecu from the 2000 GSR to the 98 there should not be any issue running it right. If I go this route, will I need to also move the key/ignition over to overcome the "immobilizer" issue??? Please let me know.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Articles: 8
Feedback Score: 33 reviews

You'd need to move the matching cylinder/ignition components over from the car that ECU came from.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastone on May/27/08
Just try to do away without spending any unnecessary $$$.

Well, how about this... If I transfer the whole harness/ecu from the 2000 GSR to the 98 there should not be any issue running it right. If I go this route, will I need to also move the key/ignition over to overcome the "immobilizer" issue??? Please let me know.
It would be cheaper and easier to find another ecu. I sold my 2000 gsr ecu to a guy in washington for his 2000 gsr and he had to have a key cut and programmed to match the ecu. Which costed around $150. You'd also need a conversion harness to go from obd2a to obd2b.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

First: I have the key, ignition switch, ecu, wire harness and everything from the 2000 GSR. Are you saying that in order for this to work on the 98 GSR, I still need a conversion harness from obd2a to obd2b??? I have a complete 2000 GSR to pull whatever is needed to the 98 to make it work.

To be honest, I've done a lot of other stuff but never really look at how the harness is connected on the ECU so I may really be better of to just get an obd2a.

Another questions: Will ITR obd2 p73 work in my 98 GSR??? The reason I ask is because some one has it for cheap. Many thanks....
Old 06-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastone on May/27/08
First: I have the key, ignition switch, ecu, wire harness and everything from the 2000 GSR. Are you saying that in order for this to work on the 98 GSR, I still need a conversion harness from obd2a to obd2b??? I have a complete 2000 GSR to pull whatever is needed to the 98 to make it work.

To be honest, I've done a lot of other stuff but never really look at how the harness is connected on the ECU so I may really be better of to just get an obd2a.

Another questions: Will ITR obd2 p73 work in my 98 GSR??? The reason I ask is because some one has it for cheap. Many thanks....
If you want to run a 00 ecu on your 98... yes you will have to get a conversion harness. And as long as the p73 is obd2a it will work. If not you're in the same boat as before. You'll be needing a conversion harness.
00geezer00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

I would just convert to obd1, the conversion harness is like $75 cheaper, the ecus cost the same, you dont have to worry about your second o2 sensor going out, and you can get your car tuned later down the road if you want to put more mods. (note: converting from obd2>obd1 only consist of only the harness and ecu)
EricDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.