buying a car that has been sitting.... - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2007, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

my girlfriend wants to buy a car. It has only 51000 km on it, they are selling it for 4200 and its a 1993. It had been sitting for 4 years and i don't know if its been started or run in that time but the guy said he took it through aircare and its flew through. Would it be a bad idea to buy a car that has been sitting for so long? it was his moms car and his mom died but im wondering if its haunted?? no seriously tho im wondering if, because it has been sitting for so long, if maybe theres a chance that the frost plugs corroded and headgasket could fail before long... what do you guys think?
krayziefresh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2007, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Model: SiR-G
Year: 1999

Cars are made to be driven. As you say once they are run in and left there, it can be harmful.
Personally, I'd go for one which is in daily running order and at least this way you know its going to last.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Model: GSR
Year: 2001
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Sounds like a high asking price for an old car that's been sitting.

have you seen the car yourself? The condition of it? Does it start? If it does take it to a local mechanic and have him check it out. That should be okay with the seller unless he has something to hide.

I took my car to a local mechanic and told him i was gonna buy the car so he checked EVERYthing out for me and told me what was wrong right in front of the seller.

Good time to talk price too =D
TheDeadRabbits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2007, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Model: GSR
Year: 1999
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

The best advice here is to take the car to a mechanic you trust and have him/her go over it. I see the odd "hasn't been driven in 2 years" where I work and they vary greatly in condition. Be sure to tell the mechanic the circumstances ie. that it hasn't been driven in a long time, how it was stored, et cetera. Having a car looked at by a reputable shop prior to purchase is ALWAYS a good idea.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

I wouldn't touch it. There's so much out there in the used car market. Don't ever settle.
Sitting for too long is not good for the tires. Leads to flat spots. I'm no mechanic, but I'd guess that the AC and battery both need to be run once in a while to keep things in good shape...Definitely pass.
integraguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2007, 05:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1999gsr on Sep/22/07
The best advice here is to take the car to a mechanic you trust and have him/her go over it. I see the odd "hasn't been driven in 2 years" where I work and they vary greatly in condition. Be sure to tell the mechanic the circumstances ie. that it hasn't been driven in a long time, how it was stored, et cetera. Having a car looked at by a reputable shop prior to purchase is ALWAYS a good idea.
Exactly What he said. also make the mechanic tell the owner of the car what's wrong with it right in front of you and the seller.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziefresh on Sep/22/07
my girlfriend wants to buy a car. It has only 51000 km on it, they are selling it for 4200 and its a 1993. It had been sitting for 4 years and i don't know if its been started or run in that time but the guy said he took it through aircare and its flew through. Would it be a bad idea to buy a car that has been sitting for so long? it was his moms car and his mom died but im wondering if its haunted?? no seriously tho im wondering if, because it has been sitting for so long, if maybe theres a chance that the frost plugs corroded and headgasket could fail before long... what do you guys think?
with that many miles the motor is broken in. that is the most important thing. i would have the belts and fluids changed. along with purging and cleaning the fuel system
Old 09-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Model: Integra SE sedan
Year: 1996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

if you do end up getting it, change every last fluid in the car before you start using it. After 4 years of nothing, the fluids will break down, absorb moisture, oxidize, separate, or otherwise go bad, which is a bad thing everywhere where there is fluid.

I.E. engine and transmission oils will not protect for shit after breaking down for 4 years, coolant will have left deposits everywhere, brake and clutch (if it's a manual) fluids will have oxidized and absorbed a lot of moisture thereby greatly reducing their effectiveness...

I agree also that that's a high asking price for that year and for the fact that it's been sitting for so long with no maintenance. Take it to a shop, ask how much it would cost to flush/change all the fluids and fix what's wrong, and take that price off the top and start offering from there.

*edit* hah Ryan, beat me to it!

My sedan running log! (updated 6/29/12)
KaBlookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List