What is Honda MTF? - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Ok, so i've read and heard a lot of conflicting, confusing info on the honda mtf. i own a 94 integra and the owner's manual says to use MOTOR OIL (yes, thats right) as manual transmission fluid. a lot of people have said that this is because the manual was written before Honda developed its own MTF.

(if you don't believe me, this is EXACTLY what is says in the 1994 Integra Owner's Manual: "5-speed Manual Transmission: Check the oil level a couple of minutes after shutting off the engine. Make sure the car is on level ground Remove the transmission filer bolt. The oil level should be up to the edge of the bolt hole. Feel inside the bolt hole with your finger. If you do not feel any oil, slowly add oil until it starts to run out of the hole. Reinstall the filler bolt and tighten it securely. only use an APE Service SF or SG grade motor oil with a viscosity of SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40. The transmission should be drained and refilled with new oil every 24 months or 48,000 km (30,000 miles), whichever comes first. Shorten the service interval to every 12 months or 24,000 km (15,000 miles) under severe driving conditions (see page 126).")

That's right, OIL.

I went to the dealership and asked them what to use, and they said they have two MTF formulas, an "old" formula and a "new" formula. the guy at the dealership said the "new" formula was made for honda's 6-speed manual transmissions, and he would recommend the "old" formula for my car. however, i've read so many threads with people ranting and raving how good the "new" formula is.

my mechanic told me that honda's mtf is nothing more then overpriced, repackaged engine oil, and that honda doesn't manufacture its own oils, but gives that to another company to do. he told me, for example, the honda atf is actually produced by mobil 1. he said the reason that people think the honda mtf makes shifting so much better is because your shifting will always feel better after putting new fluid in your transmission, whether it be the engine oil or honda mtf.

so could someone with some expertise please tell me this:
-is it ok to use engine oil as transmission fluid for my car? (after all, this is what acura recommended when the 94's were made)

-whats the deal with the honda mtf? and if i were to use honda mtf, would it be ok to use the "new" formula, or should i stick with the "old" formula?

-what is the best fluid to put in my manual transmission?

thanks!
fk94integra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Articles: 8
Feedback Score: 33 reviews

I'd go with Honda MTF. The spec was revised to be "motor oil for temporary use only."

It's not that motor oil won't work, but the MTF will probably improve shifting and last a bit longer.

I just got my tranny fluid changed recently and they used the new stuff.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Enforcer!

Model: GS-R
Year: 1995
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Articles: 2
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to justYncredible

yes the new mtf from honda pwns all!
i change my tranny fluid once a year and this new stuff they have is indeed an improvement.
as for the best fluid i would stick with honda fluid. some say royal purple, but i can say this. honda made there fluid for there cars
wu's turbo build GroundFXMuisc
460.79whp 311.92tq @ 18lbs (new tune)
(old tune) 1/4 mile = 13.36 @10lbs @120mph (on all seaon tires, 2-3yrs of age)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarksb18 View Post
Jr, I have never seen justyncredible be gentle with a thread like this and I understand why.
justYncredible is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2007, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Articles: 8
Feedback Score: 33 reviews

once a year? Damn, how many miles are you driving?
TheGSRGuy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 7 reviews

I still am a fan of Pennzoil Syncroshift. Two older hondas, both did wonderful things....
jgold47 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2007, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Enforcer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGSRGuy on May/29/07
once a year? Damn, how many miles are you driving?
i just do it as a piece of mind. on ATF is recommended to be changed once a year. but i do my MTF once a year. its not hurting anything
Old 05-29-2007, 12:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Royal Purple Syncromax is what i use, like the mechanic said, Honda stuff is repackaged, overpriced motor oil. on the other hand, YES, 10W-30 motor oil IS what Honda 5-spd tranny's use as opposed to newer 6spd's (not just honda) that use 75W-90 gear oils like Redline MTL which my friends need to use in their RX-8's.

Royal Purple is a very respected name in automotive oils in the racing world, their Syncromax is highly developed for transmissions that require 10W-30 motor oils. Dont pay more just because it says "Honda" on it, leave that to the fanboys...

http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/scmax.html
Old 05-29-2007, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

The honda mtf also has added lubricants to help with the trans, but it says that motor oil can be a temperary use.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Enforcer!

i dont know how much royal purple cost but 3 quarts of honda fluid is 15 bucks
Old 05-29-2007, 01:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I've put 10w30 in my tranny and 75w90 (Not at same time) and noticed no diffrence I've driven more then 10,000 on each and there were no adverse affects. Gears are gears it isn't a matter of what Honda, Royale purple , or Redline says I also do not race my car. If I did I would probably use something else because of the additives.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by justYncredible on May/29/07
i dont know how much royal purple cost but 3 quarts of honda fluid is 15 bucks
x2

maybe the honda mtf is better, maybe the honda mtf isnt, im no chemist, but to save $4 on another brand are u really willing to risk a transmission job later?
805dan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

who said anything about risking transmissions?

It all comes down to the fact that for some reason, people have it in their head that just because it says "Honda" on the bottle, it must be the best for their cars. Oils that are designed for "performance" are as such because of the extra protection they offer, and weather or not your "race" your car, you can always use more protection.

I have alot of money invested in my car and im not about to put a certain fluid in it just because its "branded" by my cars manufacturer. I will do the research on my own, and no just listen to people say things like " i have used this fluid on all 3 of my cars for "x" amount of years and have had no problems..." That proves nothing.

If you seriously think you are risking transmission damage by using something else then Honda fluids in your car, then you are sadly mis-informed.
rickeo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have used both in a few of my da's. They both work the same to me and oil is much cheaper. So I use oil in all of mine. My hatch had a bad grind in 3rd so I just went and got Oreillys brand oil and put it in. once I did that it would only scratch at very high rpms. I think its really just a person preference. I also used to work at a Honda dealer ship and this came up lots of times. I say that 90% of them said oil is just fine unless its a newer car. In that case use what Honda used when they rolled it out.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

Model: Fit Sport w/ Navi
Year: 2011

New Fluid (any brand) > old fluid.

Honda doesn't make the oil. If the ATF is Mobil-1 then the MTF is most likely Mobil-1 also. But who knows, it could be Quaker State. None of this really matters though, so long as you change it at a good interval. I'm not sure of the difference between the "old" MTF and the "new" MTF, but I'd be willing to bet that the new stuff is somebody's repackaged syncromesh formula.

As a side note, but along the same lines, Honda branded oil filters are made by the same company (Honeywell) that makes Fram. So, you don't always "get what you pay for".

RIP - S.J.K. - May 13, 1986 - October 2, 2003
Corduroy Pillows are making Headlines
GSR624 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List