Team Integra Forums banner

98 type r lsd in a 94 gsr man tranny?

15K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  FlatRate 
#1 ·
ok so i picked up a type r lsd for 250 bones it is from ajdm 98. first of all will i have to worry about a jdm trany part not fitting in a usdm car. second of all what parts are needed to throw this bad boy in, third how much would one pay to get this done because there is no way in hell that i am going to do this on my own. if anyone lives in colorado and is a master with transmissions drop me an im. but other than that guys help me out. i'm sure the wealth of knowledge you guys have can help me out.thanks

Aaron

#5 ·
so it would be best to leave it up to a shop if i have to pul the whole thing apart. by the way i saw thta it would cast around 2 bills to have ashop install it with you deleveringhte tranny. how much would it cost them to install the lsd without the tranny dropped?

#6 ·
anyone in colorado no where a good place to get htis done at? and any other information on the bearings i will needa nd where to get the spacers fot he lsd would be great!!

#8 ·
SurferX on Dec/14/02 said:
The tranny has to be dropped either way.

Quote:

Removing the transmission did not prove to be a problem despite the fact that I was working alone, without a lift or any special tools. With the transmission sitting on my table, I proceeded to take it apart.

The steps to disassembling the Y80/S80 transmission is covered in the Type R final drive installation article.

With the transmission disassembled, remove the stock differential and proceed to remove the ring gear off the differential. Note that the stock Honda differential has reverse rotation bolts holding the ring gear on.

Before putting the ring gear on the LSD, clean off the mating surface with brake cleaner. The ring gear has to be flipped over to fit on the LSD. Make sure the chamfered inner edge of the ring faces downwards....
au-gsr: I thought that was obvious by the pics shown in the article I had linked. no?

#9 ·
The Type-R differential fits right into the GS-R transmission. You don't have to have the final drive gear from a Type-R, its a straight swap. Oversimplifying, you take the open-differential out, take the gear off of it, put it on the LSD, put the LSD back in. Messing with shims which is for the tapered roller bearing pre-load test is pointless and a procedure Honda stopped using two years ago. You ditch the tapered roller bearing that came stock with your car (which you will have a hell of a time finding replacements for, and when you do, its around 100 bucks), instead replacing it with the roller ball bearing cartridge that Honda has switched to. (35 bucks a side from your dealer. You'll also want new seals) Chances are very likely you won't have to use shims at all. If you do, there's also a good chance that the clearance is far less than the smallest shim they make. That being the case, you can easily locally fabricate shims using 100mph tape, the metal stuff, not duct tape. It's thickness was around .004-.005" which can be doubled up if necessary. Again, this isn't likely. If you want a detailed step-by-step explanation email me at boon_doggy@yahoo.com. Here's some pictures of mine:

Car album

#12 ·
rooster, i Think you should make a little write up of the ITR LSD install into a 94 GSR tranny because thats the next step i need to take. I also heard that my Y80 tranny wont accept the ITR as well as an S80 tranny will. something about the casings being different althought they both could be GSR's.

It would be very helpful to know what parts i would need to buy before i tackled this project. although a writeup would help EVERYoNE on this site as well.

#14 ·
If you have seen the OMNIMAN video, it shoes how to do it. It even explaoins what will fit in which trannies/differentials.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.