Team Integra Forums banner

Clutch replaced. Car won't shift into 5th when powered off.

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  knavekid 
#1 ·
I just had the clutch replaced on my 2006 Acura RSX Type-S 6 speed. While checking out I noticed on the paperwork that the technician stated that the car won't shift into fifth gear, that it is a synchro problem and it's not their fault. I take it for a spin and all 6 gears shift fine. When the car is powered off, it will shift into every gear except 5th.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this when I dropped it off. Is there something they could have done to cause this or maybe something needs adjusted? They didn't even point it out to me so I'm super mad about it. The technician was gone for the day so I couldn't get any more details. Thanks.

#2 ·
Who did the replacement of the clutch, dealership, transmission shop, gas station service shop, a guy in an alley with a scissors jack?

These transmissions are not really reliable compared to a borg warner but if you could shift into fifth when you brought it in, you should be able to shift into fifth when you picked it up.

Do you know how to rev match? If you get the timing of shifts and rpms just right, when you move the shifter knob, you'll feel almost no resistance moving it into gear. Even if the synchro was bad, you should be able to rev match, until you get it fixed.

#3 ·
It is not uncommon to not be able to shift into one or more gears when the car is stationary and the engine is not running. It just means that the slider isn't lined up for that gear. Synchros don't do anything when the transmission shafts aren't turning. If it shifts fine while driving, I wouldn't worry about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.